Thread: Bend or Bust!!

Kathleen in AZ

Cool-blue Rhythm Bend or Bust!!

Howdy OregonionsÖ Iíll be in Bend end of August/beginning of Sept for a Brad Goldpaint star photography workshop. Iíve heard about your great trails so decided to drive up from Phoenix with the dogs/bike/camping gear and make an adventure of it. Iíll be busy Aug 31st and Sept 1 at the workshop, but have the days before and after free for riding.

While Iím sure I can find the trails and figure it out on my own, any info to get me started is most welcome! Since Iíll be solo for this trip, it would be great meet up with locals for rides planned over this time. I would be happy to return the favor when you come down to Phoenix! About me Ė In OK shape for a 50 year old. Iím more of a techie rider than an endurance distance rider, but Iíd be up for anything. Shuttles, out n backs, ups and downÖ I just want a good taste of Bend riding.

Also, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to answer a few specific questions:

• Will I hate myself for bringing my new Pivot Firebird 27.5? It is 32 lbs with loads of travel. It pedals fine, but definitely likes downs more than ups. I have some more XC oriented bikes that I could bring instead, but you know how it is when you get a new bikeÖ

• Will the mosquitos be eating me alive? We have virtually no skeeters in Phoenix and my other AZ riding/camping locations, so I really do not know what to expect.

• Any trail recommendations where I can safely leave my dogs (2 cattledogs) either in the 4Runner if it's cool enough or tied up to my 4Runner in some shade while I ride?

• Any dispersed camping next to trailheads?

Ok, that was actually a lot of questions. Iím just really excited! Thx in advance for any and all responses.

-Kathleen

Dude, got any schwag?
    First, you won't regret bringing the dogs or the bike.

Bring the Firebird! I can't think of a better place to break in a new ride. 32 lbs tells me it's a little much for the trails here, but 27.5 will kill it! And there are some routes that thing will shine on. (Funner, Tiddly Winks, South Fork, Flagline, Met-win...)

Mosquitos won't be that bad. Bring some deet & you'll be fine.

There is plenty of dispersed camping out near the trails. Why not ride with the dogs?

Shuttles; Contact Cogwild for shuttle & guided ride info.

You can also PM me for contact info & I'll ride with you.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Kathleen in AZ
    PM sent, Billy Schwagman! Will post up again closer to the date

Get to dah choppah
    Most of the well known trails are very XC oriented. The Firebird will work but if you have a choice the most popular bikes are 29 HT's and 100-120mm FS. Most of feature trails like Funner and Whoops are fine on XC bikes unless you're really into jumping.

It's late in the season and it's been dry. As long as you're not at high alittude, bugs won't be a serious problem.

Most TH's are pretty safe..

If you can, don't disperse camp. Stay at Tumalo Falls State Park if there are sites available. Inexpensive, beautiful, easy access, nice facilities, very safe.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Tumalo State Park

There are two Meetup groups that are fairly active MTB'ers. I'd reccomend joining and see if they have anything interesting looking.

Best of luck.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Kathleen,
    My family and I are giong to be in SunRiver, a resort community just outside Bend from Aug 26-30. I'm hoping to get two good rides in during that stay. I am planning to do the Cog Wild shuttle for one of those, they drop you at the top for $10 with a vile horde of other knuckle-dragging thrill seekers, i mean like minded riders, and from what I've heard you'll get a fabulous day of riding for it. That sounds like a can't miss. For the other I was either going to explore on my own or send out a call to the disciples of dirt (Disciples of Dirt) and see what they have got cooking. You are welcome to PM me for my cel number.
    Barry

PS the system you shuttle is is not a day of downhill, it's more all-mountain.
    Last edited by fastboy143; 08-13-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Post script
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143 View Post
    Kathleen,
    My family and I are giong to be in SunRiver, a resort community just outside Bend from Aug 26-30. I'm hoping to get two good rides in during that stay. I am planning to do the Cog Wild shuttle for one of those, they drop you at the top for $10 with a vile horde of other knuckle-dragging thrill seekers, i mean like minded riders, and from what I've heard you'll get a fabulous day of riding for it. That sounds like a can't miss. For the other I was either going to explore on my own or send out a call to the disciples of dirt (Disciples of Dirt) and see what they have got cooking. You are welcome to PM me for my cel number.
    Barry

PS the system you shuttle is is not a day of downhill, it's more all-mountain.
    Looking at the trail maps, I think I might try to camp up near the Swampy drop off point and pick up the 5:30 shuttle back up the hill at the end of a day of riding. Would be fun to coordinate with some other riders who have the day to play. Our only overlap day would probably be Aug 29th or 30th. I'm also interested in checking out Newberry Crater Rim trail south of town. Other than that, I'm still open to suggestions!

icsloppl - My dogs and I don't do campgrounds very well.... neighbors are too close and I prefer to let the pooches run free if possible. However, are the COG drop off points of Swampy and Dutchman SnoParks considered "high altitude"? I might reconsider camping up there if bugs will be a huge problem. I really do hate mosquitos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi DG,

We will be in Bend again this year from 8/19 - 8/24. Last year we rode Bachelor to Bend with CogWild -- this year we will do McKenzie River Trail with CogWild. My one experience with them last year was quite good. As already mentioned by others, you can do their tours or simply get a shuttle ride to your starting point.

I found the Bend trails to be fairly smooth compared to what I was used to in Arizona so it was easier to get high mileage days.

Question for the locals: how is the fire danger and smoke? Are there any forest closures?

-db-
    Flagstaff, AZ

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fire danger is listed as HIGH and the FS probably isn't allowing camp fires at this point but it's best to check with them. No forrest closures in the immediate areas around Bend where it sounds like you will be riding (at this point anyway). Late Aug is still fire season so if we get thunder/lightning strikes we're gonna have fire and smoke to deal with but right now there is little to no smoke in the air and so far this season there have only been a couple of days where I didn't want to ride because of smoke.

Skeeters, you will have some but it's not like Canada or the East Coast, have a little DEET around, and maybe a "BUZZ OFF" shirt and you will be fine. Of course some people are skeeter attracters and others are not so if you are a skeeter magnet bring more DEET or stay closer to town and lower.

There really isn't much techie rideing around Bend (to bad!) but the 27.5 should be fun, but if you have a stable of bikes why limit yourself, bring two!

Definitely consider a day for the Metolius River Trail and another day to ride in Oakridge, both are about an hour and a half drive from Bend and are well worth hitting if you are in the area.

Bend is more than a little bit dog friendly but there are those who don't like them on the trails, if your dogs don't herd people or bikes they should do fine on the trails. A really good dog trail is along the Deschutes river, it's scenic, not very technical, and lots of water for the pups.

Oh, Swampy would probably be "mid" altitude and Dutchman is at the base of Mt Bachelor and would be considered "high" by most.

Throw another person on your PM list and if I'm free I'll ride.

Cog Wild is great!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Hi DG,

We will be in Bend again this year from 8/19 - 8/24. Last year we rode Bachelor to Bend with CogWild -- this year we will do McKenzie River Trail with CogWild. My one experience with them last year was quite good. As already mentioned by others, you can do their tours or simply get a shuttle ride to your starting point.

I found the Bend trails to be fairly smooth compared to what I was used to in Arizona so it was easier to get high mileage days.

Question for the locals: how is the fire danger and smoke? Are there any forest closures?

-db-
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Too bad we will miss each other by a week! And thanks for the feedback on the COG shuttles. Sounds like they are the way to go if I don't find any riding partners. I'm still debating the bike choice. Smooth trails are not something I regularly ride...

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RTurner View Post
    Fire danger is listed as HIGH and the FS probably isn't allowing camp fires at this point but it's best to check with them. No forrest closures in the immediate areas around Bend where it sounds like you will be riding (at this point anyway). Late Aug is still fire season so if we get thunder/lightning strikes we're gonna have fire and smoke to deal with but right now there is little to no smoke in the air and so far this season there have only been a couple of days where I didn't want to ride because of smoke.

Skeeters, you will have some but it's not like Canada or the East Coast, have a little DEET around, and maybe a "BUZZ OFF" shirt and you will be fine. Of course some people are skeeter attracters and others are not so if you are a skeeter magnet bring more DEET or stay closer to town and lower.

There really isn't much techie rideing around Bend (to bad!) but the 27.5 should be fun, but if you have a stable of bikes why limit yourself, bring two!

Definitely consider a day for the Metolius River Trail and another day to ride in Oakridge, both are about an hour and a half drive from Bend and are well worth hitting if you are in the area.

Bend is more than a little bit dog friendly but there are those who don't like them on the trails, if your dogs don't herd people or bikes they should do fine on the trails. A really good dog trail is along the Deschutes river, it's scenic, not very technical, and lots of water for the pups.

Oh, Swampy would probably be "mid" altitude and Dutchman is at the base of Mt Bachelor and would be considered "high" by most.

Throw another person on your PM list and if I'm free I'll ride.

Cog Wild is great!
    Thanks RTurner... PM sent! As I get plans more finallized, I'm probably looking to ride Bend area trails some or all of these days: Thur Aug 29, Fri Aug 30, Mon Sept 2 (Labor Day!), and Tues Sept 3.

Anyone have any tips on good doggie day care places in Bend in case I need to go that route? Googling the subject looks like there is no shortage of such places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    DurtGurl,
    It looks like Thur Aug 29 is the only day of overlap you and I have, since I'm packing, checking out and leaving on the 30th. I'll post at the disciples of Dirt site to see if anyone from the local crowd is riding that day.

FB
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    RTurner...thanks for the fire/smoke situation.

I usually follow the WildFireToday.com site for updates on smoke.
    Today's image indicates that most smoke is from the Idaho fires and moving eastward.

-db-

Kathleen in AZ
    Change of plans. Due to a sudden ringworm outbreak at my house (fungus amongus, not a worm!), I won't be able to risk traveling with my infected dogs at the end of the month They will be fine, but my plan to board them when riding and at the star workshop just isn't going to work. So, I'm flying up for a week of exploration. I'll be renting a bike with COG for one of their 3-day camping tours after the workshop. I'll get the stars, and I'll get a good taste of Bend area riding. Thanks all for your input - can't wait to visit!

Dude, got any schwag?
    You should definitely hit the Bend Ale Trail!

Apps
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!