Thread: Bend

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Bend

we are headed to bend in a couple weeks and i was curious to how the trails look right now. we are not familiar with the area. just trying out new areas.

mtbr member
    There are trails to ride near Bend, but a major part of the trail net work is either too wet to ride, or under snow. Any trails over 4000' will have snow on them. There is always Horse Ridge and Maston to ride though.

FKA Malibu412

In a couple weeks...

..things will likely be a little better.

I rode the weekend of March 6-7 and the Deschutes River Trail was quite nice. Very little mud and/or snow and the mud was mostly where snow patches are melting down. You should be able to ride the length from Meadow Picnic to Benham Falls without issues in a couple weeks unless their is more significant snow and rain on the way--which I don't see happening.

Phil's wasn't too bad up the 4000' foot level but some of the spurs off Phil's were pretty muddy. Lotsa us tourists out there who didn't worry much about the "Don't ride when it's muddy" signage, I guess. Sorry. Quite a few locals, too.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the info. i think we are going to try somewhere else that week. we are from out of town and dont want to be those guys that come in and tear up the trails. i think we might try and come over in june. i'll post some dates when the it gets closer to that time and maybe we can t meet up with some people from the area. if anyone plans on come over to the roseburg area just let me know i'm always down for a ride

FKA Malibu412

June's good

Thing about it is, the surface that is wet and muddy right now is the top 1/2"- 1" of material that will be loose dust come July-August. There were no 2"-3" ruts that will remain like the T-Rex footprint in the lava bed. These trails will recover just fine. I've ridden them through the dry season and they're good. jmho.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

What day are we riding?

Most trails still too wet

Was out last night checking out trails and they are still too wet once you hit about 4000 with some snow still hanging out in the trees.

That said, Maston and Horse Ridge are riding great. Another recommendation is Peterson Ridge out in Sisters. The trails out there are great with the new trails that were put in.