mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bend 4th of July vs. Mid June?

I am planning a returning trip to Bend this summer. I am going to take my pops and do some hiking. Plus, sneak in a day (or two) of biking. I was thinking the week of the 4th of July would have cool events and stuff to do. However, my dad was thinking it would be super crowded.

Is Bend a huge 4th of July destination that it would be noticeably more crowded/congested than the middle of June?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Pretty crowded in town most every weekend in the summer, more so on a holiday weekend. But, I wouldn't say it is a huge 4th destination. What will be super crowded on the 4th are the campgrounds and lakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Your dad is right, IMHO. Come in June as the melt is on and the upper trails will be clearing quickly. The 4th this year will be crowded as Widespread Panic is playing 2 show at the LSA. Widespread has a loyal national following and its their only PNW show.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In a typical year would Tiddlywinks and all of that stuff be thawed out by mid June? Last year I took a shuttle and rode like 20+ miles down back into town on some awesome trails. I was thinking of trying to do something similar at least once on this trip since my dad doesn't ride. The rest of the time we will hike, check waterfalls, maybe raft the river, ... I don't know what else. I lucked out last year and got to see Cracker in the park for free.

Freeride Recumbent
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeThePlanet View Post
    In a typical year would Tiddlywinks and all of that stuff be thawed out by mid June? Last year I took a shuttle and rode like 20+ miles down back into town on some awesome trails. I was thinking of trying to do something similar at least once on this trip since my dad doesn't ride. The rest of the time we will hike, check waterfalls, maybe raft the river, ... I don't know what else. I lucked out last year and got to see Cracker in the park for free.
    Twinks will be melted for sure. Stuff above that like Swampy, probably melted too (I'm guessing). Lots of deadfall this year so that's probably a bigger issue up top.

Mountain Biking in Central Oregon » BendTrails.org

Muy Borracho
    Downtown Bend on the fourth is quite the spectecle. We call it the Freedom Ride. Essentially all of our youth get on bikes, ride around the streets near downtown and by the river. There is a fair bit of beer and weed. Fairly entertaining. Fireworks off of Pilot Butte which are visible throughout most of town.