Metalheadbikerider

BEER. NWTA Meeting tonight.

As this critical time, we need more and more people to get involved to encourage a much needed paradigm shift. Come and grab a beer and check out the scene tonight. You do not need to be a member to attend.

NWTA Monthly Meeting & Social
    Submitted by Kris Schamp on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 8:49am.
    Meeting
    Start: 10/27/2009 - 7:30pm
    End: 10/27/2009 - 9:00pm
    Join us at the NW Lucky Lab for an update on all the things we've been up to, including ongoing advocacy projects, upcoming trailwork parties, rides and other events. There will aso be plenty of social time to connect with fellow mountain bikers and trail advocates.

Open to NWTA members and non-members alike.

Lucky Lab NW Beer Hall, 1945 NW Quimby, Portland, OR
    (NOT the Lucky Lab on SE Hawthorne!)

Schedule:
    6:30 - 7:30pm: social time (come early to chat over a bite and a beer).
    7:30 - 8:15pm: trail updates, announcements & board pass-downs.
    8:15pm - 9:00pm: social time.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Obviously Single

Have they changed?

Have the meetings changed?

I attended several meetings when I first moved here a few years ago. I really wanted to find a great bike club I could get involved in.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I've never seen a more disorganized meeting, and that's saying a lot! It was noisy, the speakers rambled, and there was rarely anything of interest to me.

Not to mention the meetings are way in the heck on the other side of Portland from me. I guess NWTA is a Portland club, not a Portland Area club.

I know, I know ... NWTA doesn't care about my whining ... that's why I stopped going.

Don't get me wrong -- I assume those meetings are useful for somebody. Just not for me.

Honestly, I feel that NWTA is so far out of whack with what matters to me, I'd change groups in a minute if there was anything better.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Obviously Single

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strader
    Less than helpful and kind of childish.

Ever think about running for the Board of NWTA? I think you'd fit right in.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, the Lucky Lab has really good beer & decent food. : )

I'm wondering if Strader was one of the rambling speakers too. ; )

Obviously Single
    Sounds like you had a good meeting. Cool.
    The Lee-Man

Metalheadbikerider

Funny you should ask......

One of the things brought up last night was a need for a Meeting Coordinator. The MC would create an agenda, arrange guest speakers, and spice things up with things like mtb video clips. Sounds like would be perfect for the job.
    I can't comment on what the meetings used to be like, but they are currently nothing like you described.
    I don't understand your point about it not being a Portland area club since meetings are held in Portland. The majority of people live in Portland, so it just makes sense to have the meetings in NW Portland.
    Aren't you big into riding in the Coastal Range? NWTA is heavily involved in the happenings there, so again, I'm not sure what you mean that it couldn't be further from what you need. The organization is what you make it, so if it isn't meeting your needs-help to change it!
    Let me know if you have any questions, and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction to help get you involved.
    Cheers.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider

Meeting Recap....

First, thanks to those of you who gave it a shot and showed up last night. It's great to see the group grow in membership with every new meeting.
    I thought I would take a second to recap the meeting for those who are interested, but are unsure if it is a good use of their time.
    The first half hour is social time. For me, it's great to have a beer and a bite to eat with other bike geeks. Good people. Good conversation.
    During the meeting we received informative updates on:
    1. The mtb struggle happening in Montana. It's a big deal and the goal is to do some letter writing. More info. is on the NWTA website.
    2. New killer DH trail outside of Sandy. One member commented that it is the best DH trail within 40 minutes of Portland. A workday is trying to be arranged for Nov. 14th, if I remember correctly.
    3. Update about the status of Portland Parks and the ST cause in Forest Park. Many letters were sent, and there is no need to write anymore at this time. Great work! The committee meets tonight, and Nick Fish will be in attendance. Stay tuned.
    4. There is a meeting set up to give public comments about Powell Butte (more info on the NWTA website about time/place). The process is happening quickly so we need people to show up and voice their desires for the park. I, for one, would love to see an expert DH only mtb trail. In addition to beg and int trail sharing.
    5. Joe from Westside Trail Federation (WTF) shared some cool stuff about a grant he is applying for to get some singletrack machinery. This will immensely when it comes to all of the new trails we will be building. He also gave an update about new "mtb only" trails being built in Stub Stewart.
    6. We also need a Meeting Coordinator. This person would be in charge of formalizing an agenda, arranging guest speakers, bringing in mtb video clips, etc. The charge is to make the meeting more organized, and spice them up a bit as well. Another guy who posts here on mtbr had the idea of the MC asking local bike companies/shops to bring products for us to check out. I think that would be really cool too.

I know other things were mentioned, but I am blanking on them right now. Anyone else who attended please fill in the blanks and/or correct any errors you see. Personally, as a relative newcomer to NWTA I found the meeting very informative. I also like the atmosphere of the meetings (very friendly and easy to get involved in something), and the chance to get to hang out with other like minded individuals. Let me know if you have any questions about the meeting, or the organization itself. If I don't have the answer I will find it for you.

Cheers!
    Brian

Leave it all on the trail
    Thanks for the update Brian, glad to hear things are on the move! I am definately going to make it out for the next meeting. I don't plan on being super active, but figure they could use another member to speak up when the moment is right. I like the fact that NWTA is already addressing all disciplines of mountain biking. That is definately a step in the right direction! No mountain biker left behind!

Oh and regarding Lucky Lab having really good beer....lets not get carried away

Nice work fellas,
    C$
    Ride. Dig. Party.

Metalheadbikerider

My pleasure, and....

as a teacher I am loving the slogan:

No mountain biker left behind!

I want to see if we can get some T's and bumper stickers made. Great idea. Is it cool if I steal it?

mtbr member
    Which trail in Sandy are you looking to do a work day on? If I don't have class on the 14th I'd be up for a work day.

troubled economist
    Thanks, FreeAgent, good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    2. New killer DH trail outside of Sandy. One member commented that it is the best DH trail within 40 minutes of Portland. A workday is trying to be arranged for Nov. 14th, if I remember correctly.
    Just to clarify, FreeAgent is talking about the new Homestead Trail on BLM land, outside of Sandy, near Brightwood, off Sleepy Hollow Rd/ Rd 14.

BLM crews w/ help from IMBA/Jason Wells built a lot this summer, and it's described as a flowy 3 mile pumptrack from some that I've talked to-- a fun descent w/ rollers/berms. I haven't ridden, but my impression is that it's not a super technical DH track, but rather a fast descent that is lots of fun, even on a smaller travel bike, but lots of optional hits to make the trail a blast to ride for all levels... Most of all, the design is supposed to be really good. All second hand info, though, just passing on what I've heard.

Phase 1 of the trail is what was worked on this summer, AFAIK.

Map of the Trail, see Phase 1 area

This area is part of the Management Plan for the Sandy Basin:
    Sandy River Basin Integrated Management Plan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Have the meetings changed?

I attended several meetings when I first moved here a few years ago. I really wanted to find a great bike club I could get involved in.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I've never seen a more disorganized meeting, and that's saying a lot! It was noisy, the speakers rambled, and there was rarely anything of interest to me.

Not to mention the meetings are way in the heck on the other side of Portland from me. I guess NWTA is a Portland club, not a Portland Area club.

I know, I know ... NWTA doesn't care about my whining ... that's why I stopped going.

Don't get me wrong -- I assume those meetings are useful for somebody. Just not for me.

Honestly, I feel that NWTA is so far out of whack with what matters to me, I'd change groups in a minute if there was anything better.
    Ok, there maybe was a bit of rambling. That being said, there is so much going on right now that it was anything but boring. Go or don't go but they are doing good things.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein