mtbr member

Bandon area rides?

I'm spending the weekend of the 4th in Bandon with family and allowed to bring the bike and was wondering what is the best trails within a 45 min drive from Bandon are, if any?

Thx!
    JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There's not much. Some of the better trails in the area are closed due to logging. I can really only think of two options. 1. Euphoria Ridge trails about an hour from Bandon heading east past Myrtle Point. I hear those trails are pretty good, but I've had a hard time finding them on the two occasions I went looking. 2. Winchester Trails about 15 minutes north of Bandon on HWY 101. They are my local trails. They lost some mileage due to active logging, but there are about 10 miles of open trails. However, the trail system winds/snakes in and out of a gravel road and can be frustrating to navigate the first time and is broken up a bit due to the logging. There is a new bike shop in Bandon, and the owner should be able to help.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We cleared out most of euphoria ridge this spring and have been riding it. I'd be happy to play tour guide if you want to make the drive over. I think we have family stuff Saturday afternoon but good to go otherwise. Try us on the cell and land line as we live in no-cell land. five four one 572-zero four zero nine, 541 two nine four three seven seven four
    Hayduke holds his foaming can of beer in one hand, the other five cans-bound together by a plastic collar- in the other hand. What to do? In order to function he must put down the beer. But in order to function he has to drink the beer. A cruel bind.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, much appreciated! So, it sounds like Winchester is only 15 min away and Euphoria about 60 min away out of Myrtle Point. Euphoria more fun than Winchester stuff? The 15 min drive sounds more appealing since I won't be away from the family as long. Thanks again and will definitely give you a buzz if I make it over Tristan.

Jon
    Ride On!

mtbr member

Blacklock Trail

You could also check out the Blacklock to Floras Lake Trail. It's a little bit rooty/techy but not much climbing as I recall. A couple of descriptions with directions are below. Do the side trip out to Blacklock Point for a great view. There's a fairly new bike shop in Bandon (South Coast Bicycles) on Hwy 101, so you could stop in there and get more beta on this and other trails. Have fun!

Blacklock Point - Floras Lake Hike

Floras Lake State Park: Blacklock Point Trail, Hiking, Port Orford, OR

:kim

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Humbug Mountain might be another option for you. Just outside of Port Orford to the south. I was at Cape Blanco over Memorial Day weekend and stopped in and talked to the South Coast Bicycles owner about rides in the area. He recommended that and Euphoria/Blue Ridge. Said there plans to build some more trails on Humbug in the future as well.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Thanks all! Will swing by the local shop to check out trail status and pick up some new tires as it looks like they sell Specialized .
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    FYI. Blue Ridge trails are closed due to logging. Winchester Trails are fine to burn a couple hours. The trails are wide, but super rooty, rutty, and kind of technical. Not a lot of climbing, but you have to be at least an intermediate rider. Some people don't like Winchesters because they are too rough and riders can't really go fast. Too much tech and not enough hills for speed.

Tristan, I may hit you up on Euphoria some time. I think I got some information from you a couple years ago, but I never could find the trailhead because I'm a bit of a numbskull.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah i'm definitely down whenever for a ride. Yesterday had a blast taking out two 8th graders from the area so hopefully they'll be back.

The trails are really poorly marked and there really aren't any good maps- it's something that needs to be fixed because these trails need to be ridden a lot more.
    Hayduke holds his foaming can of beer in one hand, the other five cans-bound together by a plastic collar- in the other hand. What to do? In order to function he must put down the beer. But in order to function he has to drink the beer. A cruel bind.