Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Back country mountain bike areas in Oregon?

I'm considering a back country trip this summer. I have been considering the Streens Mountains or maybe the Hells Canyon area in NE Oregon. I'm not sure yet. I will need to buy some equipment. I'm probably going to take a 29er HT and just enjoy the experience without worrying about speed or technicality of the trail.

Any ideas?

Jaybo

What day are we riding?
    Was up in the Hells Canyon area summer before last. Great area with lots of trails and double track to explore. Only had one day to ride so just was able to get in about 30 miles. If I am remembering correctly you could ride in about 15 miles, set up camp and string together loops from there. It is on the list to head back up there for at least three full days of exploring.

We were heading north and there were all these signs pointing west that I wanted to check out. Not enough time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Those pics are great, thanks for posting! Looks like the Summit trail in the Hells Canyon Rec area.

Jay, that would be a great spring/early summer destination and I have maps of all the trails there, but I could imagine it to be quite hot in the summer, but probably not as bad as the trails down below in the canyon. Ton of snakes too, probably.

I don't know of any mtb trails around the Steens, but there are plenty of hiking trails in there that I don't know if they are open to bikes or not. Something to consider too.

Oh, those trails atop Hells Canyon look perfect for the 29HT.

JG

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Sounds great...

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Those pics are great, thanks for posting! Looks like the Summit trail in the Hells Canyon Rec area.

Jay, that would be a great spring/early summer destination and I have maps of all the trails there, but I could imagine it to be quite hot in the summer, but probably not as bad as the trails down below in the canyon. Ton of snakes too, probably.

I don't know of any mtb trails around the Steens, but there are plenty of hiking trails in there that I don't know if they are open to bikes or not. Something to consider too.

JG
    Sounds like a freakin' awesome place! Thanks for posting pics.

Jon, we could give it a go. Heck, it looks awesome and we could drive there...camping in maybe mid May or early June before it heats up.

Jaybo

DOD Member
    snow levels and skeeters might be early summer considerations
    MaxSteel

What day are we riding?
    I wouldn't plan on going too early. Most of the riding is at or over 6000 feet. We were there around the Fourth of July and the temps were perfect. No skeeters to speak of either. Be prepared to pack your water in as you are way up on a high ridge most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ele' graph, beautiful looking area, but looks to end on over a 5mile trail climb instead of starting out the climb, ughh.

thanks again.

JG

meatier showers

Okay, who are you really?

MTBR obviously switched the identity of these two posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Sounds like a freakin' awesome place! Thanks for posting pics.

Jon, we could give it a go. Heck, it looks awesome and we could drive there...camping in maybe mid May or early June before it heats up.

Jaybo
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel
    snow levels and skeeters might be early summer considerations
    No negativity in the supposed Jaybo post, and nothing but negativity in the supposed MaxSteel post. Obviously the IDs got switched somehow.

Back on topic... I toured Steens for 5 days back around '93. Did the loop road, which was awesome but no singletrack. The gorges of The Steens are, uh, gorgeous. Highlight of the trip was riding up into Big Indian Gorge to spend a night just below the cirque. Only trouble is the BLM closed BIG to anything but foot traffic several years ago. Bummer, cuz that place is absolutely other worldly, especially at night. Air so clear the stars bump into each other. The deep end of BIG is as far away from civilization as a person can get on this particular planet, or so it feels. We're talking "Lost In Space" remote. A life-changing experience for me.

Northeastern Oregon is awesome, too, although I've never toured there by bicycle -- only by motorcycle. I did ride my mountain bike down into the canyon near Buckhorn Viewpoint, north of Joseph, but not all the way to the bottom. Riding was STEEP. On the other hand, riding my motorcycle above Hell's Canyon from Joseph to Hwy 86 on Forest Rd. 39 was a real treat and I could see the mountain biking would be excellent in that area. I want to go back... but I'm still figuring out how to take both the motorcycle and the mountain bike. Not willing to resort to Bob's system yet, although it is pretty dang cool:

Fine for Bob's BMW, just can't bring myself to do that to my Triumph Sprint.

Another awesome place to bicycle tour not mentioned yet is the Owyhee Canyon, including Leslie Gulch:

Glowboy and I rode there for 4 days back in '03, I believe.

The upshot of all my babbling is this... there are some really cool places all around our great State to ride bikes.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

We need a DOD board

And an Oregon board for the non DOD members who just want to talk about riding in Oregon.

Jaybo

mtbr member

It just seems like...

And an Oregon board for the non DOD members who just want to talk about riding in Oregon.

Jaybo
    It just seems like the DOD ride as much as everybody else together, or perhaps the others just don't come here to share their positive riding experiences as much.

Whatever, the DOD is pretty active for an unofficial group, both at riding and trail maintenance/building. Folks are welcome to join us that want to help out, and have a good time riding in this great state.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hear you

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    It just seems like the DOD ride as much as everybody else together, or perhaps the others just don't come here to share their positive riding experiences as much.

Whatever, the DOD is pretty active for an unofficial group, both at riding and trail maintenance/building. Folks are welcome to join us that want to help out, and have a good time riding in this great state.
    But, I typically enjoy riding alone or with my buddy, Jon. At times, I have ridden with other people, but I usually enjoy one person or by myself. I'm not sure you all want to see pics of my coming down a rocky trail. Do you really? I didn't think so!

Sparty, appreciate the pics and information. Cool set up! You can brand me negative but I'm typically going to give my opinion on a bulletin board where giving one's opinion is what it is about. I'm not sure you have ever really understood that concept....

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-22-2007 at 08:22 PM.

meatier showers
    But, I typically enjoy riding alone or with my buddy, Jon. At times, I have ridden with other people, but I usually enjoy one person or by myself. I'm not sure you all want to see pics of my coming down a rocky trail. Do you really? I didn't think so!

Sparty, appreciate the pics and information. Cool set up! You can brand me negative but I'm typically going to give my opinion on a bulletin board where giving one's opinion is what it is about. I'm not sure you have ever really understood that concept....

Jaybo
    Just teasing you a little by pointing the negative finger, Jaybo. No more than some of the teasing I've taken from your direction, I think.

Sorry to hear you think DOD needs its own forum. The Disciples of Dirt is not an organization that's defined by geographic boundaries. DOD has members in other states and even other countries. Some Disciples of Dirt members live closer to you than they do to me, although it's true that being as active a club as we are ridewise, the most active members live within easy driving distance of western Oregon trailheads.

But you have to admit DOD has begged you to join in for rides & events like All Comer's Meat and Barbie Camp, even our local weekend rides. You may like to ride alone or with just one bud, that's your choice but it seems a little harsh to come to a public forum like MTBR to say you want to ride alone, and then go on to tell a group of active forum users they should be relegated to a forum of their own.

As for the concept of giving one's opinion, well yeah, I think I've got that down. Have you ever known me to hold my opinion back, my friend?

Be honest, now.

--Sparty

P.S. Do I want to see pictures of you riding your bike? Oh hell yes! Pics, ride reports, others' opinions and more are the main reasons I come to MTBR. But especially pics. FWIW as things are now, every time I picture you on your bike I see your avatar grimacing down the trail.
    Last edited by Sparticus; 12-22-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Making fat cool since '71
    Opinion: it's the internet and *everyone* is super cool, fast, highly skilled, dual PhD, mechanical engineers, 3rd degree black belts in kenpo, MTB'ers/heros.

I'm pretty sure this place is about the photos/opinions/reports/hooking-up for rides/spreading cheer.

Opinions? Everyone has one, so what? Opinions are easy. They happen...even in a vacuum; especially in vacuums. Those that put their opinions out there with impunity and then feel that it gives them immunity from all other opinion(s)/thoughts are lame and juvenile phuks.

Brock...

PS: here is another opinion: chocolate chip cookies are the best food ever.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

What day are we riding?
    Thanks for the ele' graph, beautiful looking area, but looks to end on over a 5mile trail climb instead of starting out the climb, ughh.

thanks again.

JG
    Not every ride can conform to the climb first goal. If you want that to keep you from some awesome country, I guess it is your problem.

Making fat cool since '71

But when *I* rule the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    Not every ride can conform to the climb first goal. If you want that to keep you from some awesome country, I guess it is your problem.
    ...muhwahahahaha...muhwahahahaha!!!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Metalheadbikerider

If the DOD posts didn't exist

Jaybo
    this board would be deader than the Alaska board. Why the need to divide?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Metalheadbikerider

I beg to differ....

I am only considering beginning my first phD, and bacon cheeseburgers with fries covered in cheddar cheese (from Wisconsin) and jalapeno slices are clearly the best food ever.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Have a good Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Just teasing you a little by pointing the negative finger, Jaybo. No more than some of the teasing I've taken from your direction, I think.

Sorry to hear you think DOD needs its own forum. The Disciples of Dirt is not an organization that's defined by geographic boundaries. DOD has members in other states and even other countries. Some Disciples of Dirt members live closer to you than they do to me, although it's true that being as active a club as we are ridewise, the most active members live within easy driving distance of western Oregon trailheads.

But you have to admit DOD has begged you to join in for rides & events like All Comer's Meat and Barbie Camp, even our local weekend rides. You may like to ride alone or with just one bud, that's your choice but it seems a little harsh to come to a public forum like MTBR to say you want to ride alone, and then go on to tell a group of active forum users they should be relegated to a forum of their own.

As for the concept of giving one's opinion, well yeah, I think I've got that down. Have you ever known me to hold my opinion back, my friend?

Be honest, now.

--Sparty

P.S. Do I want to see pictures of you riding your bike? Oh hell yes! Pics, ride reports, others' opinions and more are the main reasons I come to MTBR. But especially pics. FWIW as things are now, every time I picture you on your bike I see your avatar grimacing down the trail.
    Maybe I will post a pic of my newest ride: 29er Kona. It seems Kona, or maybe better yet Kona bud, seem to be very popular on the Oregon board Have a good one.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Agreed, this place would be dead as a door knob, especially for the homebound dads out there. Keep the pics coming and thanks for posting the pics (mostly fellow DOD'ers).

Jay, I think Sparty and the gang are full of nothing but good will and good intention of constantly putting out OR mtb stoke in many different forms, more or less. I need to take the time myself to "smell the roses" and take more trail pics and post them.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all and wish I could come down to ride on Festivius Eve with you Brock instead of having to work that day.

Thinking of the desert right about now.

JG

mtbr member

yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Opinion: it's the internet and *everyone* is super cool, fast, highly skilled, dual PhD, mechanical engineers, 3rd degree black belts in kenpo, MTB'ers/heros.

I'm pretty sure this place is about the photos/opinions/reports/hooking-up for rides/spreading cheer.

Opinions? Everyone has one, so what? Opinions are easy. They happen...even in a vacuum; especially in vacuums. Those that put their opinions out there with impunity and then feel that it gives them immunity from all other opinion(s)/thoughts are lame and juvenile phuks.

Brock...

PS: here is another opinion: chocolate chip cookies are the best food ever.
    +1 fo sho! Also, as far as the chocolate chip cookies go... I have done some experimenting and the best so far are made with Boutique Deep Milk Chocolate (comes in bar form and I smash it) with chopped Walnuts, Organic Flour, Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Plugra Butter, Baking Soda, Smoked Sea Salt, Farm Raised Eggs and the super secret ingredient is perfectly crisped Applewood Smoked Bacon minced up! I am here to tell you one could live off of them indefinitely.

Much Love, PanFry

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

JG
    Now that it's Wilderness, not sure how much of the Steens is open other then the loop road. Prior to that, it'd been on my list of places to explore. Not much singletrack, but lots of very primitive doubletracks, and lots of interesting old cabins, etc.. I've been wanting to go back on either a bicycle or motorcycle since hunting there back in high school.

DOD Member
    Thinking of the desert right about now.

JG

I'm thinking of dessert right now after PanFry's recipe.
    MaxSteel

Metalheadbikerider

I just got a Kona 2-9 too....

Maybe I will post a pic of my newest ride: 29er Kona. It seems Kona, or maybe better yet Kona bud, seem to be very popular on the Oregon board Have a good one.

Jaybo
    and am loving it.

meatier showers

Jaybo
    Let's see them pitchers!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yaw, it is fun

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    and am loving it.
    I like the 29er because it is so different from my almost 6" travel bike. It is like going back to the days of yesterday with the twist of having bigger wheels. I have a 2-9 myself. Good choice.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Jaybo