mtbr member
    May 2004

Back to Bend: Ocheco camping info?

Heading back late June after a year off to explore NE Oregon/SE Wa. Got some killer riding in the Yak, Umatilla, La Grande and Baker City and was going back to get the good is missed but I have friend coming over from, Italy who wants to go to Bend, so, what to do??? Nat, Chris, et al, we'll be at the usual spot so swing by if you want a non-Oregon beer for a change. Anyways, thinking of heading over to the Ochecos and splitting up the Round/Lookout days. Did it all back on the 2008 BBFT and think that may be too much for some. So, any way to make the Round loop a little longer? Good place to camp to do both? I recall a great primitive spot above the old mine site on the Lookout loop that has a great view to the West. Do a couple days there after Phil's for a few and then hit the Gray Butte Loop from Skull Hollow on the way home...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Very cool. How to make the Round loop longer -- do it twice? Nahhh, that'd just be mean.

I haven't ridden Round/Lookout in a couple of years. I may need to try again. I was on my s/s last time and pretty much walked up all of Round. I don't know of any new singletrack up there but there are a lot of Jeep roads. We camped at Walton Lake last summer and hiked around the mine. What a great place. The vegetation up by the mine is really cool. It would be nice camping up there. I tried scouting over by Ochoco Pass but struck out.