mtbr member
    Oct 2009

BACE...Group Riding in Bend & Central Oregon!

A bunch of us mountainbikers have joined together and formed "Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts" (BACE) on meetup.com;

Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts (BACE) (Bend, OR) - Meetup

We're a volunteer group organizing everything from after-work rides to weekend epics. If you live in central Oregon, or plan to visit, check out our site....sign up.....and join us for a ride!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by epicmtb View Post
    A bunch of us mountainbikers have joined together and formed "Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts" (BACE) on meetup.com;

Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts (BACE) (Bend, OR) - Meetup

We're a volunteer group organizing everything from after-work rides to weekend epics. If you live in central Oregon, or plan to visit, check out our site....sign up.....and join us for a ride!
    Notice a ride for April 5th at Phil's. It will not be dry enough for riding by then. Thanks!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Notice a ride for April 5th at Phil's. It will not be dry enough for riding by then. Thanks!
    I saw that, too. It says they'll cancel if they arrive and it's too muddy, but they may as well nip it in the bud and reschedule now.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I saw that, too. It says they'll cancel if they arrive and it's too muddy, but they may as well nip it in the bud and reschedule now.
    Sheriff Willem on duty.....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just spent the morning out at Phil's with COTA and the trails have been abused this spring. We were working on lower Kent's and lower Ben's repairing ruts and lots of areas where folks have been out there riding around the mud puddles and tripling the trail width. Today had a really good turn out of almost 30 people and some good repair work was done but the trials are still a bit moist and soft and need to firm up for at least a couple of more weeks. There is another trail work party scheduled for this Saturday I believe?

Oh, I posted this same info on the BACE site hope-ing they will reschedule their ride for later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the word Willem and DF. We definitely abide by COTA rules for the trails! Had several members helping last weekend on Marvin's with COTA. One of our goals is to educate members when it's NOT ok to ride.

We actually check the trails ahead of the scheduled ride and will relocate prior to the activity.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I heard from a reputable source (and fellow trail worker) that Marvins - COD - ELV - KGB - lowest Phils was 100% mud free and firm, and I went and checked it out. Unless we get a lot of rain, or cold weather, the lowest trails are fine to ride as of now.

But please, heed all the good advice and stay off the muddy trails, which at this point would be anything beyond the chicken.

I'll be out there on Sat with a crew working on the ruts.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaplan View Post
    I heard from a reputable source (and fellow trail worker) that Marvins - COD - ELV - KGB - lowest Phils was 100% mud free and firm, and I went and checked it out. Unless we get a lot of rain, or cold weather, the lowest trails are fine to ride as of now.

But please, heed all the good advice and stay off the muddy trails, which at this point would be anything beyond the chicken.

I'll be out there on Sat with a crew working on the ruts.
    I don't know about the west side, but where I live, we just had a good, 40 minute soaking rain. I hope it all stayed to the east side of town.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nope, it rained on the west side... last night and tonight it currently is raining. bad for phils...

mtbr member
    My thinking is that the rain and higher temps are good, as that will let the sub-surface ice melt, so the soil can drain. Once the sub-freeze melts that soil seems to drain in about an hour haha.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Yeah it's that danged 2" of permafrost that freezes and thaws when the weather is cold. I decent stretch of warm weather (despite the rain) will help for sure.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    My thinking is that the rain and higher temps are good, as that will let the sub-surface ice melt, so the soil can drain. Once the sub-freeze melts that soil seems to drain in about an hour haha.
    Oh yeah, I pray for rain this time of year!

I was just simply pointing out it's bad for the very short term for those wanting to ride Phil's nowadays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hopefully the lack of freezing temps in the forecast will expedite the drying process around C.O.

Fortunately, heavy rain yesterday soaked in fine at Horse Ridge. I pre-rode it today and the conditions were perfect; tacky and dust-free! Our BACE ride there tomorrow is a go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All of lower Phils system was in fine shape when I rode it today (Phils, Bens, Kents, MTB, Voodoo). Only MTB showing signs of abuse during the freeze/thaw cycle. With temps expected to stay above freezing, the area should hold up well to the modest precip predicted later this week. We'll see.....

Thanks COTA volunteers for all the great work getting the area back in shape!