Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010

Awesome Oregon Riding

So I am a Washingtonian who is constantly amazed by the level of riding I have experienced in Oregon. Last weekend I visited Silver Falls SP on Saturday rode 17miles there in the park, lots of climbing, a 4 mile downhill slog in the mud - but by the time I got back to my car. I was wearing a huge grin and my bike was covered with a nice mix of mud/pine needles. Sunday I went to Santiam Bicycles in Salem to get the advertised map of Dallas area trails. Apparently no such map exists (maybe you outta update your webpage) went there anyways and while I had no idea where I was going - I managed to ride I great trail off the 1091-B road (I think) that descended back down into the drainage I had climbed up out of, although it wasn't a huge ride - it left that proverbial grin on my face (what a beautiful trail, the log crossings were a work of art, even rode a couple of cutoff stumps for good measure - beautiful). Thanks for whoevers workmanship put these trails in place. I will be back to explore some more in the not to distant future. Last year while staying in Prineville - I made the trek over the mountains to Bend and rode the trails there. I was amazed that riders actually have Trail rules that dictate giving uphill riders the right of way. Something I have wished for here in Washington many times but it doesn't always actually happen. Good on ya Oregon!! This last summer I also rode parts of the McKenzie River Trail, awesome - I cramped something terrible that day after climbing up from the bottom of the trail to Tamalich Pool, and obviously not drinking enough fluids. We don't have trails like that in Washington - you guys rock!! See ya next ride.
    JB

mtbr member
    Cool

There's 17 miles or MTB trails at silver falls? I thought they JUST started building that. Is it legit or did you just ride hiking trails?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Awesome Oregon Riding

There have been xc trails open to mtb in Silver Falls SP for years. The problem is most are 10 + feet wide paths of horsotilled mud. The portions without horse use are good. Hopefully the new trails will add to that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Keep an eye out for trail build days at silverfalls. Check salem area trail alliance's Facebook page and salem oregon mountain bike association meet up page for up coming build days. Showing the park that the mountain community is strong and responsible will lead to more mtb specific trail. The place has huge potential.

Silverfalls can also be linked to shellburg falls which has quite of few miles of trail and way less horse traffic. The freeride area has a few short but challenging natural terrain trails. Good to mix it up with some of the xc trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep....we have some amazing riding in Oregon. Don't forget Sandy Ridge, Post Canyon, Blackrock, King-Caslte, Waldo Lake, Oakridge, Mary's Peak, North Umpqua, Ashland and a hundred more......so much good riding, so little time.

However, the riding in Washington isn't so bad from what I hear. Haven't done much riding up there, but have enjoyed a couple of trips to Galbraith up in Bellingham. Incredible range of trails from XC to Freeride/DH trails there.

Also hear good things about Duthie Hill, Capitol Forest, Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham, and Syncline.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    twd953 - Yes the riding in Washington is good - that's one reason I still live here. I haven't been to Galbraith in a couple years, but had some pretty epic rides there in the past. Also Pilchuck tree farm outside of Stanwood area. Anacortes has some pretty awesome riding as well. I went eastside last summer and also found some pretty cool riding in the Methow area too. I used to live up by Mt. Rainier - actually learned to ride up there, so Washington has good opportunities for great riding as well. I have been impressed by Oregon and the biking places in Oregon. Had a great time!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OleGrayHair View Post
    twd953 - Yes the riding in Washington is good - that's one reason I still live here...
    Hell, the riding around the Puget Sound area may be the ONLY thing keeping me here. Moved up from Portland 2.5 years ago and rediscovered my love for MTB. Now that I'm disgusted w/ my job (a certain large jetliner mfr), I'm tempted to move back to PDX... but there are SO many more areas close by to ride up here that I'm hesitant to move!
    (Note: I'm not talking overall OR vs WA- just PDX vs SEA)