mtbr member
    Jun 2013

August 2014 - MBO - Mountain Bike Oregon

Hello MTBer's,

I just learned about the MBO even in August through an IMBA email but was bummed to see on the website that the event is already full. Do any locals know if there is a waitlist (I emailed already) or alternative ways to partake in the festivities? I'd be driving up from Los Angeles.

Thanks!

Tree Hugger
    Go to the July session. It hasn't sold out yet.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Go to the July session. It hasn't sold out yet.
    And there's a better than even chance that July will feature darker, tackier dirt!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by rachmak View Post
    Hello MTBer's,

I just learned about the MBO even in August through an IMBA email but was bummed to see on the website that the event is already full. Do any locals know if there is a waitlist (I emailed already) or alternative ways to partake in the festivities? I'd be driving up from Los Angeles.

Thanks!
    Yes, I believe there is a wait list ... but even if there is, I would suggest you try for July, as others have suggested. [And for all I know, if there is a wait list, it might be full already.]
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

August MBO

Sorry to hear that August MBO was already closed. Apologized to hijack your post, but noticed that you lived in Pasadena...just want to know if you've tried or for sure did the El Prieto trail before. I just want to know if it's a nice trail to try once I visited my sister again. She lives in Glendale. I rode Strawberry trail, Whiting Ranch, Moro Canyon, Fullerton and other trails around LA. Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by akazan; 06-06-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    Sorry to hear that August MBO was already closed. Apologized to hijack your post, but noticed that you lived in Pasadena...just want to know if you've tried or for sure did the El Prieto trail before. I just want to know if it's a nice trail to try once I visited my sister again. She lives in Glendale. I rode Strawberry trail, Whiting Ranch, Moro Canyon, Fullerton and other trails around LA. Thanks for any info.
    Hey Akazan,

Yes, El Prieto is still rockin! Definitely a must ride if you are in the pasadena area. Park on to top of Windsor Ave. in or near the JPL parking lot. Ride the Brown Mtn fire road up (45mins - 1 hr) depending on your pace and El Prieto is 20-40 min downhill depending on pace.

enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rachmak View Post
    Hey Akazan,

Yes, El Prieto is still rockin! Definitely a must ride if you are in the pasadena area. Park on to top of Windsor Ave. in or near the JPL parking lot. Ride the Brown Mtn fire road up (45mins - 1 hr) depending on your pace and El Prieto is 20-40 min downhill depending on pace.

enjoy!
    Hi, Good to know where to start. Will I be able to hit Windsor from 134 or take 210-West. Any connecting trail that will give more distance? This is a loop trail, correct? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Take it from a local who has guided MBO for the past few years, go to July MBO. The dirt is better (hero dirt??!). Slightly fewer people and the days are longer. Usually the same demo bikes. Oh, and the very same trail offerings as August MBO.

Did I forgot to mention there will be fewer brake bumps too? You get to make new ones for August!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I've done both, get July if you still can.
    Do it for the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Mbo

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    I've done both, get July if you still can.
    Do it for the dirt.
    Hi, Base from your previous experience, how's the weather during July and August? How's the climb, gradual, unrelintless or steep? Did you the water rafting too? Thanks for any info?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I went for the riding not the rafting. My experience was that the temps were a couple degrees cooler and the dirt was tackier in July. Fresh blue berries were easier to find in July. Trailside black berries were more notable in August.
    It is an awesome party in the woods, at a river side camp ground with about 300 like-minded people making friends and having a great time.
    If you like mountain biking and having a good time then you should love this.

mtbr member
    It's all shuttled and on average we will descend more than climb, but there are punchy little climbing segments. Like, right at Kate's cut-in on Alpine. Or sporadically on the middle fork of the Willamette. Or, well, a lot if you do Alpine-Tire-Cloverpatch-Alpine.

We just got a little rain in the valley, and I don't know about Oakridge but the McKenzie River trail was sooooo good today...