mtbr member

Attn: Grants Pass Area Riders

Hello,

We're looking for riders in the Grants Pass area who have local trail knowledge. Specifically, we need to find out about trails that are used by or open to Mountain Bikers down river from the Mule Creek and Rogue River confluence and to the West of Mule Creek Road on the North side of the Rogue as well as any trails which may be adjacent to this area on the South side of the Rogue.

This information is extremely important. If you can help please respond to this post or send an email to anna.laxague@imba.com. If you are a local and you know that there are no riding opportunities in this area please let us know.

Thank you for your help and happy trails!

it means 'no problem'
    New "W" proposals?

"No net loss of trails for mt. bikes" is a good way to go into it.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Isn't that area downstream of Mule Creek all in the Wild Rogue Wilderness? The Rogue River Trail is hiker only. The only one I know about open to biking is the Lower Rogue River Trail #1168 further downstream out of Agness.

Hopefully some locals will have more detailed info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I live in Grants Pass and usually ride the roads around Briggs Valley...Minnow, Taylor Creek, Chrome Ridge, etc., and trails around Stratton Creek rd.

I'm not an expert on what trails are open, but it really ticks me off that they keep closing roads down in this area...I went to the public meetings where they showed all the roads they're shutting down and they didn't care that we objected, in fact they refused to take comments, just told us what was going to happen.

I ride in one are to the left of Minnow that leads to some roads that have been bulldozed shut with riprap placed down the entire area...broke my heart, that was a beautiful trail.

Also, off of road 2509 by the horse camp there's a trail deep into the valley that has a gate across it and was shut down to bikes...I rode it anyway just because it was one of my favorite trails, but I'm sick and tired of all our roads being shut down to mountain bikers.

There's a bike shop in Grants Pass named Bike Craft where there's a lot of bikers that use the local trails, they may have more information.

As far as the Rogue River Trail I haven't ridden it recently but last time I went it was a BLM road open to cars and bikes, albeit very rocky. Oops, I just checked, what I've been calling the Rogue River rd. is actually a forest road up from the Graves Creek boat ramp...my bad! It's been quite a while since I've been there, I usually go the other side, up the road to Wolf Creek.

Ed