Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Metalheadbikerider

Attention PDX Riders

Dear mtbr.com'ers and Portland Riders ,

We need your help on an urgent issue. Over the last few months, the Northwest Trail Alliance and our strategic partners have made great strides towards the goal of increasing trail riding opportunities in the City ofPortland, including Forest Park.

A task force was formed by the Portland Parks & Recreation Bureau(PPR) with the specific charge of identifying options for increasing the amount of single track open to bicyclists in Forest Park by the summer of 2010. Members of the NWTA board and other cycling advocates secured a number of positions on that committee and are working hard to see that this mission fulfilled. This process is already underway and will continue over the winter. However, certain committee members oppose our efforts and are attempting to slow down or even stall the process.

We need your help! Our public officials need to hear from the off-road cycling community during this critical juncture.

Can you please write or call your elected representatives today expressing your support for the Forest Park Initiatives? Following is contact information for Mayor Sam Adams and other Portland City Commissioners, along with some talking points that you can include in your letter. Even a one sentence thank you for starting the committee and considering the needs of mountain bikers would be helpful

If you only send one letter, please address Nick Fish.

Portland Mayor Sam Adams
    503-823-4120
    samadams(at)ci.portland.or.us

Portland Parks Commissioner Nick Fish
    503-823-3589
    nick(at)ci.portland.or.us

Portland Parks Director Zari Santner
    503-823-7529
    pkzari(at)ci.portland.or.us

Commissioner Amanda Fritz
    Amanda(at)ci.portland.or.us

Commissioner Randy Leonard
    rleonard(at)ci.portland.or.us

Commissioner Dan Saltzman
    dan(at)ci.portland.or.us

Please consider the following points in your letter:

* We appreciate their efforts to elevate the level of discourse about off-road cycling in the City of Portland
    * Portland needs more off-road cycling opportunities
    * Off-road cyclists are strong advocates for the environment and care deeply about the health of Forest Park
    * Off-road cycling is a healthy, human powered activity that can co-exist with other park uses
    * Off-road cycling facilities can be designed and managed in a way that preserves precious environmental resources within Forest Park, and within the guidelines of the 1995 Forest Park Management Plan
    * Off-road cyclists are a significant and energetic constituency that can bring additional resources to the on-going management and preservation of Forest Park

I would appreciate if you would cc: this me on your letters: tom(at)nw-trail.org

Thank you for your help in our cause!.

Tom Archer
    Director of Advocacy
    Northwest Trail Alliance
    www.nw-trail.org
    Are you a member yet?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

We need Beau Breedlove to call him

Some folks just hate anyone unlike them. I will send an email.

Jaybo

Metalheadbikerider

Thanks Jaybo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Some folks just hate anyone unlike them. I will send an email.

Jaybo
    I, and everyone else working on this issue, appreciate your time. Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Losing sleep

Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    I, and everyone else working on this issue, appreciate your time. Cheers!
    Where are you trying to find riding in Forest Park? Is it off Fireroad 5? The Scappoose trails are great....

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 10-18-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Metalheadbikerider

Up in the air....

Where are you trying to find riding in Forest Park? Is it off Fireroad 5? The Scappoose trails are great....

Jaybo
    right now as the committee is discussing/deciding that. I am sure they are discussing all possible options (sharing current ST, reworking other trails to make them ST, newly built ST).
    Now is an important time to get involved with local government, everyone. Also, please consider joining NWTA and getting involved in this, or any other project. The time is right. The cost is low. There is strength in numbers.

meatier showers
    Hey Free Agent, it's good that you didn't read Jaybo's post until after he edited it. He dis'd you so bad in the first round.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Is everyone like you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hey Free Agent, it's good that you didn't read Jaybo's post until after he edited it. He dis'd you so bad in the first round.

--Sparty
    The Disciples of Drama? I was joshing him and I figured he would not get my humor. I need to put you on ignore again.

mtbr member

Ban this Clown

The Disciples of Drama? I was joshing him and I figured he would not get my humor. I need to put you on ignore again.
    I think this little corner of the internets would be a much happier place if Jaybo was on the universal ignore list. Misery may love company but I am not sure it is our duty to provide that.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Metalheadbikerider

Nice letter example

Here is a good example letter that I am posting here with the author's permission. He also said it would be ok to borrow from it if you'd like.
    Cheers.

Greetings,

My name is Joe Santos and I am a city employee and an avid cyclist. I compete in about 30-40 races in Oregon each year and I use a bicycle as my primary transportation to and from work. As most of you probably know Portland has been named as one of he best cycling cities in the U.S. consistently over the past few years. Portland has a strong cycling culture based on fitness and environmental consciousness. I am proud to be a part of this community. The Oregonian recently reported in its business section that cycling is a $150 million dollar local industry, which remains constant even through tough economic times.

One cycling aspect that needs improvement, however, is quality off-road riding near the city of Portland. Forest Park represents the most obvious choice for off-road riding opportunities being the largest urban park in the U.S. Currently, mountain bikers, like myself, drive to Haag Lake, Scappoose, Hood River, or even Central Oregon to mountain bike. These trips not only have an environmental impact but an economic one as well. If you drive (or walk, or ride) down NW Thurman Street or NW 23rd Avenue on any given day you will see cyclists who have just ridden Leif Erickson trail at coffee shops, bike shops, taverns, and cafe's.

I feel there is a unique opportunity for the City of Portland to capitalize on this booming local industry by increasing the amount of off road riding within Forest Park. Allowing for trail building will have little, if any, financial impact on the city. Nationwide trail systems are funded and maintained by private organizations through donations and volunteer labor. Portland is fortunate to have such a passionate mountain bike community that will aid in the construction and maintenance of such trails.

Environmentally, bikes have little impact on existing ecosystems, yet provide users with the ability to enjoy their surroundings and exercise their bodies and minds. Mountain bikers routinely enjoy the outdoors and understand preserving and respecting nature is not only important but self preserving.

Regards,

Joe Santos
    Address
    Last edited by free-agent; 10-19-2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: deleted address

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Put me on ignore. It is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    I think this little corner of the internets would be a much happier place if Jaybo was on the universal ignore list. Misery may love company but I am not sure it is our duty to provide that.
    This issue is too important for your third grade behavior.

Jaybo

meatier showers
    ... I need to put you on ignore again.
    It's too late to try to cheer me up, Jay.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Nice work Free-Agent,

I think it is important to recognize that Forest Park Conservancy is still supporting increased MTB usage in the area (I like to think this is at least partly because of all the new members who identified themselves as cyclists in the last membership drive). The anti-MTB sentiment it isn't coming from Friends of Forest Park, they are publicly in favor of increased usage, it is coming from the opposition committee member supposedly on the committee responsible for increasing ST availability in FP.

Just so people understand what we are up against, some of the claims being used against us include:
    • That over a third of the "trails" in FP are already available for MTB use.
    • That MTB use is causing increased conflict and problems with other users of the trail.
    • That MTB use is causing increased trail damage.
    • That the increase of MTB use does not comply with the Natural Resource Management Plan directives.

Realize that our opposition is well staffed and actively contacting Nick Fish and the rest of the people listed at the top of this thread with specific talking points regarding concern about increasing ST in FP. We have made great headway in the last year, but we can't stop now. Please write the officials listed above in support of increased use.

/RANT

-Jon
    If you aren't going to be part of the solution then quit your b*tching.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

mtbr member

Thanks Free Agent

Thank you for your efforts. We have to get off our a$$es to create a larger voice.

Quote Originally Posted by thorir
    Just so people understand what we are up against, some of the claims being used against us include:
    • That over a third of the "trails" in FP are already available for MTB use.
    • That MTB use is causing increased conflict and problems with other users of the trail.
    • That MTB use is causing increased trail damage.
    • That the increase of MTB use does not comply with the Natural Resource Management Plan directives.
    I have tired to address some of these talking points in my letter. I have pasted it below in hopes that it may help someone in drafting theirs. Be nice as this is not really my forte.

Dear Commissioner Fish:

My name is DJ Giggity. I am a long time Portland resident and an avid cyclist. I am writing to express support for recent efforts to increase mountain bike access to single track trails in Forest Park.

Portland is a wonderful city with a vibrant bike culture. This culture is both an economic engine for the region, and a major draw for many people who choose to relocate here. Our regional governmental bodies have put a great deal of effort into promoting cycling, for which I applaud them. The lack of trail riding opportunities near Portland remains a major shortcoming to these efforts. This is a fact that was identified when Portland was seeking designation as a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly City by the League of American Bicyclists.

There is a small but very vocal minority that will no doubt lobby strenuously to maintain their exclusive access to Forest Park trails. They will use misinformation to further their goals. They will claim that cyclists currently have access to Forest Park. This is not true as cyclists currently only have access to about a half mile of single track trail. They will claim that bicycles will damage the trails. This is also not true as studies have shown that bicycles cause an amount of wear that is similar to foot traffic. They will claim that there will be increased user conflicts when spreading users out over a greater area can work to reduce user conflicts. Forest Park is a shared community resource that should not be the exclusive domain of a select few user groups.

The cycling community can be a valuable partner in maintaining and preserving Forest Park. Cyclists have donated thousands of volunteer hours to restoration efforts in Forest Park. Cyclists have been willing to build and maintain trail systems to reduce the burden on cash strapped governmental bodies. It also has been shown in other areas that the presence of cyclists can reduce illegal and destructive uses of remote areas. In short, cyclists are an environmentally conscious group who will help to preserve the beauty of Forest Park.

Sincerely,

DJ Giggity
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I hope you're successful and applaud NWTA for what they're doing, but I see this as nothing but a can of worms. You think there are conflicts now, wait until you get those mt bikers on the trails, there will be conflicts for sure. The only way I see this as working good for all users is building new mtb only trails in the park, or possibly opening some of the North end trails.

Also, why ban Jaybo? I enjoy his candidness and sense of humor. Are you guys that thin skinned.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Silence is agreement.

Those who know me, know that silence is not my strong suit. ...and I agree with no-one.

I'll be writing my letter(s) as a result.

Thank you for your effort Free-Agent. Rock on!

meatier showers

I never said...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan

Also, why ban Jaybo? I enjoy his candidness and sense of humor. Are you guys that thin skinned.
    I never said "ban Jaybo." I just wish he'd go away on his own. I have no greater disgust for Jaybo in particular than I have for any other self centered, negative, condescending know-it-all.

I believe I speak for many when I say Jaybo's departure would come as a breath of fresh air. To paraphrase William Arthur Ward, some people brighten a room simply by entering. Others, by leaving. Jaybo falls into the latter category.

--Sparty

P.S. As for the effort to expand singletrack in the Portland area, more power to y'all. I live in Eugene, but once you guys get the green light to build or maintain mountain bike trails in Forest Park, I'll happily drive north to join you for the heavy lifting.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Metalheadbikerider

I respectfully disagree

I hope you're successful and applaud NWTA for what they're doing, but I see this as nothing but a can of worms. You think there are conflicts now, wait until you get those mt bikers on the trails, there will be conflicts for sure. The only way I see this as working good for all users is building new mtb only trails in the park, or possibly opening some of the North end trails.

That's a pretty big assumption. There are successful trail sharing plans in urban areas around the country. 99.9% of the trails we ride in Oregon are shared use. Powell Butte is shared use, for example, and I have never had a conflict there in 12 years of riding and there is equestrian use as well. It takes the right trail and proper education of all users, of course. I am of the belief that getting all of us mountain bikers off of Leif Erickson, where the huge majority of dog walkers/runners/baby strollers/etc exist, will actually have positive outcomes for all of us.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Brian

Obviously Single

An idea ...

Tom:

I have suggested this before, and I'll suggest it again and again until somebody in NWTA listens. ;-)

NWTA needs to create an easy-to-use email list, so that it can reach thousands (or at least lots of hundreds) of cyclists at times like this.

It's easy to do -- I can point you at an example from another club -- and it gives you the ability to reach all the interested parties without having to use 2 or 3 or 4 different communication channels (like you have to do now). Contact me directly if interested in more details.

It's also very helpful, when asking for mass-emailings, to supply some sort of example or boiler plate email that touches the main points.

To be honest, I think politicians count the *number* of emails more than they actually read the emails ... sad, but true.

In the mean time, I'll email these guys, as well.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Obviously Single

Cool-blue Rhythm Candidness?

Hi OHM:

As a charter member of the National Mountain Bike Patrol, I have been asked before to start a patrol in Forest Park, but I've so far declined. Part of the reason is that I didn't see the trails there (read fire lane) as real mountain biking. Make no mistake, this is just my selfish opinion, but I am a selfish person -- I have little time and I don't like to waste it. (I instead patrolled in the Tillamook Forest, so at least I did something to give back.)

Long story short, I think conflicts can be managed, but adding more trails almost always reduces conflicts, since it spreads folks out more. Also, there are other conflict-management strategies that can be used (though I'm not sure I like all of them), such as bikes allowed on certain days, etc.

As an example, check out Palmer Park in Colorado Springs, if you're ever in that neck of the woods. Lots of hikers and even more mountain bikers in a park about 1/3 the size of Forest Park. Used to have lots of conflicts, now has almost none. People *can* learn to get along, if given the chance and the tools.

P.S. They just had the first-ever NORBA MTB race in Palmer Park last weekend. It took years to get to that point, though.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Tom:

I have suggested this before, and I'll suggest it again and again until somebody in NWTA listens....
    Good thoughts...

FYI, FreeAgent is not Tom Archer, but I can make sure that your suggestion gets to Tom.

mtbr member
    The way I see it, with the opening of existing trails to mtb's the popularity of riding in the park will grow, and so will the conflicts. There is a lot of terrain in Forest Park that could accommodate new trails and possibly use some existing trails. I do know the hurdles that would need to be overcome to build new trails in the park, but I'm afraid, if we are ever able to ride legal ST in the park, that we'll get a convoluted trail system with the leftovers.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    "As an example, check out Palmer Park in Colorado Springs"

Good point and great example LeeMan! I rode there for the first time this time last year while visiting friends of the wife and was pretty impressed how well the trails and space were utilized for both hikers and bikers with some pretty good, mellow rolling SK trails and some pretty amazing technical trails with expert+ levels with all the natural rock and chunder.

Something for everyone there of all levels within the city limits. A rad place to say the least and wished we had something like that here, but the climate and landscapes are quite different. Colorado Springs has got it dialed in for having great trails and many parks to choose from both biking and hiking and the motos get to use all the higher elevation stuff outside the city. One of the only places I can think of where hikers, bikers, and motos are all cool to each other and share the many trails well.
    Ride On!

meatier showers
    The way I see it, with the opening of existing trails to mtb's the popularity of riding in the park will grow, and so will the conflicts. There is a lot of terrain in Forest Park that could accommodate new trails and possibly use some existing trails. I do know the hurdles that would need to be overcome to build new trails in the park, but I'm afraid, if we are ever able to ride legal ST in the park, that we'll get a convoluted trail system with the leftovers.
    "Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one."

You forgot the most important part: "...and they all stink."

OHM, I can scarcely believe what I think I'm hearing you say. Which is, "Don't open additional trails in Forest Park or allow more bike access there because I don't think it'll work out."

So what then, stand still and do nothing because those seeking multi-use solutions might not be able to get it right?

Where's the risk in pursuing multi-use in FP? If single use is fair, then why not close FP to hiking and open it exclusively to biking? If one's fair, then so is the other.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Metalheadbikerider

The logic of the opposition....

*No increase in your use because an increase in your use will affect my use*

My response: Lets decrease your use then.... It's win win.
    In this economic climate, adding new trails is simply not feasible IMO. The only option for now is to rework some existing firelanes to make them flowy, buff ST. Or, make current ST open to all user groups. Help us make one or both a reality. In the future, new ST is hopefully an option.

Metalheadbikerider

Great idea.

A couple of options to get it out there. Post your idea as a forum topic on the NWTA website. Email the board members. Show up to an a meeting and have some beers with us and address the group with your idea. It's a good one, so make it happen!
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast