mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Ashland's most wanted

Hey all,
    I'm doing research on both a new home and a new bike. Looks like Ashland and Medford are at the top of the list because of jobs.
    The inter web tubes are full of beta conveying that a 26" all-mountain rig is the go to bike for Ashland. I have one of those, but I'm looking at getting a Niner soon. Should it be on the WFO side of their range or the SIR side?
    At this point, I'm tempted to just ride the fat bike, but I've been all over, and some places are just not for rigid bikes. Are Ashland trails XC or AM leaning? As I get older, I find I love climbing again. Are Ashland trails loopable or is it as shuttle heavy as these forums suggest?

Any tips or links or general info would be great.
    Thanks and happy shredding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ashland is what you want it to be. You can have a blast on any bike. Fat bike is probably not the best. Climbs are steep generally and if there is snow, it's not the kind of snow you want to ride in--usually heavy and wet at lower elevations. At high elevations, there is too much of it and not much is groomed. Lot's of shuttling here unfortunately and the trails can get hammered mid to late summer. A 4-5" dually would be the best all rounder for riding around here. Nothing is really that technical and unless you just have to shuttle, you'd be happy to have a rig that you can climb with. And lastly, you can create lot's of loops out the network of roads and trails here too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the info Solidrs! I cut my MTB teeth in Durango, and went to Tucson, Denver, and most recently Anchorage. All have radically different riding and none had shuttles that I partook in often.
    It sounds like an xc bike with trail bike manners is nicer than an am bike with myeh climbing is better. Climb on! I say.
    The fatbike is just plain fun in any conditions. But yeah, it may not be appropriate.

So in the general riding area, is a 4" 29er enough or too much bike? Like in the valley and day trips, is there the variety of trail for epics, technical challenge, and rad riding? Would a 5" 29er be better? How about a rigid hardtail?

I know its a "run what ya brung" world, but showing up to a gun show with a knife is not fun either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ride a 4" 29er full squish and a HT 29 SS. Both are great here. A 5" dually would be great too. More than that isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm headed to Ashland soon so thought I would bump this as I'm not sure what bike to bring as well. Solidrs what gear are you running on your SS? I'm leaning more towards the single speed as its not as fancy as my other options so I wouldn't worry about leaving it locked up around town. Most of my riding will be in the dark so I won't be riding the most technical stuff. Think I just answered my own question... But more perspective is always nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run a 34 x 20. Unless you are a hero or a total pusseeee, it's the right gear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks. That's what I'm running. Looking forward to riding again as my trails are under snow. Any winter group rides you know of? I prefer riding solo but I like company when I drink beer...