Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    317

    Ashland trail info?

    Thinking about checking out Ashland for the first time. What's a good route down from Mt Ashland (taking the shuttle) that's suitable for a novice rider? How technical is the riding around Ashland? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44
    lf You haven't already done Mnt Ashland then this may help . Take Bill & Sue's Ashland Aventure shuttle up to the ski lodge parking lot ,. but do not go down Bull Gap trail like everyone else. Bull Gap s the trail that leaves right from the parking lot and goes right down next to the ski lodge. instead, go back down the paved road that the shuttle van drove up, just go down 1 mile to a BIG turn out on Your left left exactly almost one whole mile from the ski lodge , make the left and stay left , now You are on Tolman Creek rd also called forest rd 2080 , that is a large smooth truck trail with beautiful views , it is about 90% mild down hill cross country. After about 3 miles you will come to a 4 way intersection turn out on the left with a big wooden sign, that s lower Bull Gap intersection , keep to the right on the large truck trail and keep going about 10 more miles down until it turns into black top , then keep gong another 5 miles down to the intersection of Tolman and Siskyou blvd go strate thru the intersection and down and then turn right just 'before' the rail road tracks and go east down the rail road access road to Ashland Mountan Shuttle were You started .

    Tolman Creek rd can be very very fast 'if' You want it to be ( 30 + mph in some places ) , otherwise You can cruse and never go over 1 or 5 to 10 mph, the black top is even faster cause the lower black top is rolling hills.

    WARNING : On the black > watch for cars on blind curves and cars coming out of drive ways and intersections

    WARRING > On the dirt > watch intently an occasional drift car bozo or jeep or motorcycle on this road so keep to the right and look way ahead, also the turns even tho they are lazy and not sharp at all ,if you pump this gravel topped trail like i do to break my last time trial ET, You can or will low side or go off over the bars into the shrub ( trust me on that last advice lol ) .....PEACE

  3. #3
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    Hey Steveinoregon, I am the opposite, very advanced rider, looking for correct ride for me around July 31 or Aug 1. Girlfriend will stay the day in Ashland while I take a shuttle or 2. Usually I flog Downieville or Tahoe on a Turner 5 Spot, but will bring singlespeed for this trip (I use this singlespeed at Downieville occasionally so I will still ride fairly aggressive ). Never been to Ashland. Like the flow and can go 3 or 4 hours on ss.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Hey Steveinoregon, I am the opposite, very advanced rider, looking for correct ride for me around July 31 or Aug 1. Girlfriend will stay the day in Ashland while I take a shuttle or 2. Usually I flog Downieville or Tahoe on a Turner 5 Spot, but will bring singlespeed for this trip (I use this singlespeed at Downieville occasionally so I will still ride fairly aggressive ). Never been to Ashland. Like the flow and can go 3 or 4 hours on ss.
    Oh ok, You said 'novice' .

    For the advanced rider like yourself there is the 'Time Warp' trail that is the highest elevation DH on Mnt Ashland .

    Everyone here knows TM even tho it is not an 'official' on the map MTB trial.

    lf You do the *Ashland Mountain Adventure shuttle / AMA shuttle which You should because Bill aka 'Wild Bill' Roussel who owns it will give You the full scoop .

    Everyone shuttles up the the ski lodge parking lot parking lot and unloades from there, the expert / advanced riders peddle west bound on crest rd 20 for a short XC for about 1 & 1/2 miles plus a 200 yard up hill huck to reach the Time Warp trailhead.

    A pure 8 inch travel DH bike is NOT recommended because of the XC peddle just to get to TM start .....and.... the 20 min XC peddle at the bottom of TM in order to connect to the rest of the approx remaining 10 miles DH course to get down to the city of Ashland were You started.

    TM in late summer is a dust pow over hard pack narrow single with a mixture of exposed small rock gardens, short speedy straits, then interspersed with lots of small natural dirt jumps and about 6 much bigger log over's for pure air's , and the some flow with a few steep narrow switch backs that the pro and experts say makes for a technical highly rated barn burner. TM is only a few miles long then you dump out on the 'Loop Road' an almost flat nice logging road closed to all vehicles , You then peddle east for 20 min and then connect to the east of the mostly advanced single track system ....... or .......like guys like me we take the very fast double wide Super DH flowing logging roads which you can actually go almost 40+ mph if You can handle the neg- camber corners with the water bars at the entrance to each corner.

    PS: 48 year old Bill and the pro's can do TM in sub 10 min as seen on video & GPS timed , most advanced guys do it in 25+ min.


    Hope that helps ...PEACE

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    308
    Ride up Tolman creek road and then whatever else he said and continue past the ski area lot which turns to dirt. Turn right and start up the road to the top of Mt Ashland. Turn left at the first turn out and find the singletrack to ride up to Time warp and get 'er done the right way. If you're a real badass you can repeat.

  6. #6
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,474
    I am so fired up you guys posted again! Thanks Steveinoregon, Pedalitup. I will add TM and then do single track system. Thanks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    248
    Hi,

    Don't mean to thread jack but any locals want to do a shuttle run Monday 8/26 in the AM. My girlfriend and I are doing a mountain bike road trip for San Diego to Portland and really wanted to hit Ashland on the way home. Unfortunately Bill isn't able to run the shuttle. We are not opposed to non-shuttles but with limited time I figure its the best bang for your buck. I got to ride Mt Ashland a few years ago but I was still a pretty big noob so I wasn't able to take full advantage.

    Thanks!

    PM me if interested/able

    PS We are willing to bribe with beer as well

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    CORRECTION: TW 'not' TM

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinOregon View Post
    Oh ok, You said 'novice' .

    For the advanced rider like yourself there is the 'Time Warp' trail that is the highest elevation DH on Mnt Ashland .

    Everyone here knows TM even tho it is not an 'official' on the map MTB trial.

    lf You do the *Ashland Mountain Adventure shuttle / AMA shuttle which You should because Bill aka 'Wild Bill' Roussel who owns it will give You the full scoop .

    Everyone shuttles up the the ski lodge parking lot parking lot and unloades from there, the expert / advanced riders peddle west bound on crest rd 20 for a short XC for about 1 & 1/2 miles plus a 200 yard up hill huck to reach the Time Warp trailhead.

    A pure 8 inch travel DH bike is NOT recommended because of the XC peddle just to get to TM start .....and.... the 20 min XC peddle at the bottom of TM in order to connect to the rest of the approx remaining 10 miles DH course to get down to the city of Ashland were You started.

    TM in late summer is a dust pow over hard pack narrow single with a mixture of exposed small rock gardens, short speedy straits, then interspersed with lots of small natural dirt jumps and about 6 much bigger log over's for pure air's , and the some flow with a few steep narrow switch backs that the pro and experts say makes for a technical highly rated barn burner. TM is only a few miles long then you dump out on the 'Loop Road' an almost flat nice logging road closed to all vehicles , You then peddle east for 20 min and then connect to the east of the mostly advanced single track system ....... or .......like guys like me we take the very fast double wide Super DH flowing logging roads which you can actually go almost 40+ mph if You can handle the neg- camber corners with the water bars at the entrance to each corner.

    PS: 48 year old Bill and the pro's can do TM in sub 10 min as seen on video & GPS timed , most advanced guys do it in 25+ min.


    Hope that helps ...PEACE
    CORRECTION > for what ever reason i wrote TM instead of TW which means Time Warp .........PREACE

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Hi,

    Don't mean to thread jack but any locals want to do a shuttle run Monday 8/26 in the AM. My girlfriend and I are doing a mountain bike road trip for San Diego to Portland and really wanted to hit Ashland on the way home. Unfortunately Bill isn't able to run the shuttle. We are not opposed to non-shuttles but with limited time I figure its the best bang for your buck. I got to ride Mt Ashland a few years ago but I was still a pretty big noob so I wasn't able to take full advantage.

    Thanks!

    PM me if interested/able

    PS We are willing to bribe with beer as well
    Humm , many times Bill does not do a shuttle on Mondays, contact me the Sunday before and i will see if can drop You two off on top of Mnt A, ahhhhh better yet perhaps we can get a Cook & Green epic shuttle together for Monday Aug 26.


    We all just did C&G last this Monday.

    What is Cook & Green You say , well go to Ashland Mountain Adventures Facebook page and read my new post , an in depth review of the rarely used C&G 7 mi long ST

Similar Threads

  1. Ashland Trail Alternatives
    By TwoHeadsBrewing in forum Oregon
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM
  2. Ashland trail sabotage news
    By Nat in forum Oregon
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
  3. Trail saboteur arrested in Ashland
    By jmountain in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
  4. Mt. Ashland / Bull Gap Trail Conditions
    By KentM in forum Oregon
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 06:59 AM
  5. Ashland area info requested
    By MonkeyDawg in forum Oregon
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •