mtbr member

Ashland, OR Spring thaw DH race

xpost from DH

Has anyone ever done the Spring Thaw DH race in Ashland? is it worth a 5 hour drive? Kinda looks like a shorter travel trail bike is more appropriate than a full on DH bike. So with that in mind is it even a real DH race?

http://www.somba.org/springthaw/
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

Gittyup!
    Not sure it'd be worth a 5 hr drive to do just the DH race. Unless they've changed it for this year, you could go just as fast (if not faster) on a hard tail. A full on DH bike would be waaaay overkill. Fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebread
    xpost from DH

Has anyone ever done the Spring Thaw DH race in Ashland? is it worth a 5 hour drive? Kinda looks like a shorter travel trail bike is more appropriate than a full on DH bike. So with that in mind is it even a real DH race?

http://www.somba.org/springthaw/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

It's a fun old school style course.

You are right about the DH rig being way overkill. The race has been won on a hardtail before. Last year Mark Weir and aApril Lawyer made the trip down and had a ton of fun. Last I heard, Weir was coming up with a buch of people from the bay to race again. The race usually attracts about 135-150 racers. The other cool thing is, the ruseults are typically ready for you by the time you get off the shuttle after your run. The local club also has a really nice dinner/slideshow/video night/ and preregistration the night before. It's also a good way to check out a chunk of the Super D that will be held in late May.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yup, last year or the year before that the pro catagory was won by a guy on a hard tail.
    Ashland is just a kick ass place to ride any kind of bike. It would be worth the drive if you have time to ride some XC while you're there and have time to enjoy the Town. The race is held above Lithia park and it's a really fun place to spend the day.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I did it a few years ago and had a blast. A short travel or hardtail bike is a better choice than a DH race bike. The course is natural singletrack with some jumps, switchbacks and fast sections.
    I was able to do 5 practice runs plus my race run. Then I rode back into Ashland after I found a friend to drive my car back. Lots of fun!

Is it a real DH? I think so but it is not a ski area DH with big drops, and blown out fall line trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The race is on the "Catwalk" trail which is about 1.5 miles long. Takes about 10 minutes to run. Worth the 5 hour drive? You decide...they do give out lots of cool stuff and the trails around here are fun.

It is more of an XC trail that happens to go downhill. There are some sharp corners and switchbacks that make a light nimble bike faster then a big DH bike on it...you want to be able to accelerate quickly. Plus the last 100 yars is slightly uphill.

Good luck have fun!
    Matt
    Ashland, Or

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info all. Think I'm going to try to make it down. Is camping a good option? Sounds like its a pretty big event so I'm wondering if hotels get booked pretty quickly.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

2012 Race: April 28th!
    How's the course looking for the XC race? Is the snow still pretty low?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

a tight kick sound
    Shig, you gonna go this year?
    I am seriously thinking of going down!

booner

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Shig, you gonna go this year?
    I am seriously thinking of going down!

booner
    Nope. No racing for me this year. I will feel lucky to get back to regular trail rides soon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Singletrack Addict

I'm thinking about it

Don't know if I can get out of work for the Saturday XC race, but the Sunday DH sounds like my kind of trail. Never done a DH race so it sounds about right, no?

If there were a carpool heading down late Saturday or early early Sunday from Portland, I've got gas money and beer. Otherwise I could drive a little P/U and give one person a lift; I'll still have beer.

Don't work Monday, so I could be looking for a ride on the way home.