mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Ashland riding in Feb. need a hook up.

I will be in Ashland for the better part of February attending UBI. I would like some riding partners (locals) to show me around. Also recomendations on a bike to bring, keep in mind It will be my transportation for the month. I really have only ridden XC and was planning to bring a steel HT Salsa Ala Carte. Coming from Atlanta. any feedback is welcomed. thank you .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofusthewrench
    I will be in Ashland for the better part of February attending UBI. I would like some riding partners (locals) to show me around. Also recomendations on a bike to bring, keep in mind It will be my transportation for the month. I really have only ridden XC and was planning to bring a steel HT Salsa Ala Carte. Coming from Atlanta. any feedback is welcomed. thank you .

XC bike is fine for Atown in the winter , most of the DH trails have snow on them so you can really olny climb up to 4 corners , it's a pretty steep climb to what you are used to coming from Atlanta so be warned , Ashland is all up or all down !

Locals are easy to find , rides are even easier just pedal up hill from Lithia park and you will find your way .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    XC bike is fine for Atown in the winter , most of the DH trails have snow on them so you can really olny climb up to 4 corners , it's a pretty steep climb to what you are used to coming from Atlanta so be warned , Ashland is all up or all down !

Locals are easy to find , rides are even easier just pedal up hill from Lithia park and you will find your way .
    Thanks Evil looking forward to it!

Cookie Monster
    Oct 2005
    A nice group meets on thursday at 6:30 pm near the ice rink in Lythia Park for a night ride. So if you have a light, bring it. I Think they might go on Tuesday evening too. You can check at Ashland Cycle Sport.

Happy Riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

lithia park

Quote Originally Posted by bikeface
    A nice group meets on thursday at 6:30 pm near the ice rink in Lythia Park for a night ride. So if you have a light, bring it. I Think they might go on Tuesday evening too. You can check at Ashland Cycle Sport.

Happy Riding!
    Is this lithia park easy to find? It seems all riding starts and ends here. I want to do the night ride but i'm not sure if i will can make it from class in time. Do you know how far the park is from the school? my bike is my transportation. Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Is this lithia park easy to find? It seems all riding starts and ends here. I want to do the night ride but i'm not sure if i will can make it from class in time. Do you know how far the park is from the school? my bike is my transportation. Thank you for your help.
    You should have NO problem finding the park , as it's about 3 times the size of downtown Ashland ! The street the school is off is Oak , you can ride Oak up through town and it ends in Lithia park ( about a 5min ride ) , really easy to find as the park is the center of town !

Prepared to be spoiled by the food in town as well as the beer ,I recomend the Standing Stone some of the best food and suds .... so good you might not want to leave !!

BTW What class are you taking ??
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    You should have NO problem finding the park , as it's about 3 times the size of downtown Ashland ! The street the school is off is Oak , you can ride Oak up through town and it ends in Lithia park ( about a 5min ride ) , really easy to find as the park is the center of town !

Prepared to be spoiled by the food in town as well as the beer ,I recomend the Standing Stone some of the best food and suds .... so good you might not want to leave !!

BTW What class are you taking ??
    Evil, I'm taking three classes the wheel building, fork suspension, and professional repair and shop operation. I can't wait to ride out there. I would like to find a loop of about 15 to 30 miles to train on.

mtbr member
    Evil, I'm taking three classes the wheel building, fork suspension, and professional repair and shop operation. I can't wait to ride out there. I would like to find a loop of about 15 to 30 miles to train on.
    The loop out of the park up the 20/60 fire road , past the water tank and up to four corners ( there may be a small amount of snow ) then back down the various trails into town should set you up just fine .
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Any of the local shops can hook you up

with a good map. It's printed on waterproof paper, has almost all of the trails(all of the legal ones anyway), and a portion of the sales go to the locl mountain bike club. It's called the Led Map. There are group rides every Tuesday and Thursday from the Plaza at 6:30. Meet at the skating ring, bring a good light, and be prepared to climb for 3-6 miles before you turn around. The Pros from Dover at the bike school can really get you pointed in the right direction once you get there. The riding is alot of fire road up and singletack down. There isn't much really rough that you would need a 5-6" travel bike for. The soil is decomposed granite that drains well, so not much real mud and excellent tration in the winter, but sometimes really good sized water ruts. Be prepared for 1500 feet of straight elevation gain in 3-4 miles of climbing and don't tell anyone to move here after you've gone. Too many houses coming up into the hills.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by unoveloce
    with a good map. It's printed on waterproof paper, has almost all of the trails(all of the legal ones anyway), and a portion of the sales go to the locl mountain bike club. It's called the Led Map. There are group rides every Tuesday and Thursday from the Plaza at 6:30. Meet at the skating ring, bring a good light, and be prepared to climb for 3-6 miles before you turn around. The Pros from Dover at the bike school can really get you pointed in the right direction once you get there. The riding is alot of fire road up and singletack down. There isn't much really rough that you would need a 5-6" travel bike for. The soil is decomposed granite that drains well, so not much real mud and excellent tration in the winter, but sometimes really good sized water ruts. Be prepared for 1500 feet of straight elevation gain in 3-4 miles of climbing and don't tell anyone to move here after you've gone. Too many houses coming up into the hills.
    I'll definitely purchase a map. Yeah, I know all about homes vs. trails. We battle that daily down here. One day you ride through the woods, 3 months later, it someone's backyard.