Thread: Ashland Oregon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ashland Oregon

I will possibly be moving to Ashland in a year to go back to school. Can anyone tell me about the single track there? I ride mostly XC. What is the race scene like? Also how is the road riding? Any tips would be very helpful.

mtbr member
    Ashland has amazing single track, a few great local races, nice roads both road and mountain. Best trails are really hammered from the DH shuttlers all year, though. Hopefully good trailwork and weather will heal them. That small detail aside, truely great riding in any direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs th'unit
    Ashland has amazing single track, a few great local races, nice roads both road and mountain. Best trails are really hammered from the DH shuttlers all year, though. Hopefully good trailwork and weather will heal them. That small detail aside, truely great riding in any direction.
    Ashland Mountain Adventures, the shuttle co., hosted 2 trail work days the first on November. Near 70 people in all, 200 man hrs and three trail, 6 miles of trail Buffed out. It's not so rough up there now.
    We will host 2 more trail work days in later Feb. and March, maybe we will see you there.

mtbr member
    sickest trails around, dump that xc bike and get something more All Mountain and have a blast. Wish I could live there during the summer and ride nonstop. You're in for a real treat. Theres some gnar and then theres some buff Single track, with plenty of whoops, berms, small built in jumps, switchbacks, and more. The only downfall is that a lot o fthe riding is more shuttle like, there is still plenty of pedalling to be had but a lot of the riding on the mtn is UP and then DOWN. I'm sure there are some XC loops but I don't know enough about the area to comment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

As one who shuttles and rides xc

The trails there are some of the best you will find. A xc bike is just fine, and the climbs are great. I enjoy the trails with a 8 inch downhill bike, and with a rigid single speed.

All the stuff people are saying is DH and should only be shuttled, are pretty much xc trails that happen to have a road to the top, kind of like Downieville. I mean there are some jumps on a few trails, but all that can be ridden around..

I've never ridden my road bike up there but there seems like it would be just as prime as the single track.

Oh and with in a pretty short distance you have the Appellate reservoir area.. You can really do some pretty epic xc rides out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey I'm heading down to visit my wife's family over the Thanksgiving holiday & plan on bringing my mtb & road bike. I lived in Ashland for a few years while I went to school, but didn't really ride back then. I'd like to take advantage of some of the single-track, but when I was there last I had a hard time finding trails & group rides. Do any of the local shops set up rides? Anyone there want to show me around for a few miles? I'll be in town Thursday - Sunday so hit me with a PM if you're into it, I'll buy the post-ride beer.

Cheers

Formerly known as...

Outlook for riding X-mas Week 2010?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm coming up to Ashland from SoCal (please try not to hold that against me, I'm a transplant from the East Coast) to visit family for Xmas. I've never been to the area before. I'm looking at the weather forcast for the 22-27th and things don't look too promising. I've got decent cold weather gear, so I don't mind a cold & wet pedal, as long as the trails are OK to ride in weather. What do you locals think about the prospect of riding next week? What should I ride? I'd prefer to maximize singletrack, don't mind climbing, and definitely don't mind some chunk. OR... should I leave the bike at home and come back a different time of year? I'm staying literally a few hundred yards from Lithia park.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Depends how low the snow gets.
    If your lucky you can get lower Ashland stuff. Maybe just above white Rabbit parking lot.
    Jacksonville Britt and Forest Park Trails are pretty darn fun.
    Applegate Lake loop.
    Lost Creek Lake loop.
    Possibly Collings Mt.?

Mostly XC AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the trail info. Sounds like a great place. I feel like I'm in a lucky position being able to choose where I want to move my other option is Asheville NC. Hard decision to make.

Members who have read this thread: 0