tch
    mtbr member

Ashland is getting tacky

The summer softness and sand is morphing back into sweet tacky single-track. More rain on the way and I can't wait for my first "year-round" riding opportunities to continue. The move from Portland has made riding out the back door so awesome and from what I've been learning down here - late fall and winter are totally ride-able. That is all.

Cheezy Rider
    On behalf of all of us still living and riding in the Willamud Valley,
    thanks so much for that report. We're not bitter. Really.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I rode from Mt A down last weekend. Bull Gap was great, Catwalk was teeth chattering from all the brake bumps but smooth otherwise, Toothpick and Caterpillar was in great shape, I railed Alice, and BTI is a mess. BTI was nice and technical maneuvering through the ruts, but it needs some work due to the skidders. Does anybody know of any work parties that maintain the watershed trails? I'd help.

tch
    mtbr member
    I agree - BTI is a wreck. I think it could be a really fun section of trail if it was "built" to handle the abuse. If I remember correctly, almost every switchback is sketchy with tons of ruts. I like technical riding and difficult sections, but BTI isn't that much fun. I feel guilty for adding to the damage as it is difficult to ride it cleanly without skidding through beat-up sections, even at slower speeds.

The braking bumps on Catwalk and to some extent Caterpillar are getting fairly deep, but I like having to pick a line at speed and letting the bike suck-up as much as possible. I brake late, after the bumps, on the clean line and then make make the switchback.

I'm planning on attending the Nov. 5th meeting of the Southern Oregon Mountain Biking Association, http://www.somba.org/ to see what the organization is all about and what kind of trail maintenance is done.

It seems that most of the damage I see is related to under maintained trails with heavy use and to some extent, poor riding skills. I know some feel it has to do with bigger bikes, but I'm not ready to bite off on that as the sole reason. Brake-Jack and suspension lock-up certainly add to the braking bumps, but shorter travel trail bikes can do this as well.

I'd love to help work on building solid banked berms for some of the higher speed switchbacks, I think this would make a difference in the health of the trails and reduce the braking bumps.

Ashland is not Whistler, but some of the trail building skills are certainly transferable. We even have in-state trails being built on public (forest service) lands, Blackrock, that are modeling the success of Whistler and are building solid trails that can sustain heavy use.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been thinking about this as a distraction on my long climbs

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Hey all, I don't know if you've heard of S.O.F.A. but we are planning maintenance days on some of the trails in question. Hopefully in the next month as the soil (sand) doesn't need a jack hammer to shovel it. Anyway, we are using Blackrock as a model, and we are trying to secure an area locally for a MTB only riding zone. Membership is free by the way. Link is below.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.