mtbr member

Ashland - Camping or Hotel

I'm headed to Klamath Falls for a few days and thinking about taking a detour to Ashland for a day to ride. Wondering if there are spots where I might be able to post up for a night in a fully self-contained 4x4 rig, or if I should just leave the van at home and get a hotel for a night. I already know that official campgrounds are limited and frankly, don't need one. Hotels or boondocking recommendations in close vicinity to riding are welcome. Along with any trail recommendations for 1 day. I will have the GF with me so I won't be bringing the freeride bike and would be looking for something that isn't too long or technical.

On the other hand, we may just ride one of the new trails I just read about in KF and save Ashland for a dedicated 2-3 day MTB trip

Thanks, appreciate the help!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Timbers Motel, if you are going to stay in town that is the place to be. I only say that because they have kitchenettes in about four rooms and we just stayed there for the third time while racing the Spring Thaw this time around. Five minute ride to DT Ashland and you can start riding up the mtn by taking the White Rabbit trail behind the motel by about two or three blocks. Damn great climb up White Rabbit and then you are on the main road up to Four Corners.

You have to reserve at the motel early since they fill up FAST. As for boondocking I guess it depends on your van and how it looks. Quite a few people who came down for the race spent the night in their RVs right in town. Otherwise I can only say that you may be better off out near KFalls riding and finding your own place to stay w/o getting hassled.

I'm not a local so hopefully one chimes in but I love going there and racing and just my two cents. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by holback View Post
    I'm headed to Klamath Falls for a few days and thinking about taking a detour to Ashland for a day to ride. Wondering if there are spots where I might be able to post up for a night in a fully self-contained 4x4 rig, or if I should just leave the van at home and get a hotel for a night. I already know that official campgrounds are limited and frankly, don't need one. Hotels or boondocking recommendations in close vicinity to riding are welcome. Along with any trail recommendations for 1 day. I will have the GF with me so I won't be bringing the freeride bike and would be looking for something that isn't too long or technical.

On the other hand, we may just ride one of the new trails I just read about in KF and save Ashland for a dedicated 2-3 day MTB trip

Thanks, appreciate the help!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When will you be in town? I may be able to come up with a place to park for the night but not in Ashland. This is tourist season in Ashland so rates are up and availability are down.

There is both NF and BLM land but the area right around Ashland is all posted for camping due to homeless camp issues. A great place to camp would be Grouse Gap Shelter (Very nice right now). From there you could do a great ride down into town. In town eat and drink then head back up. If I am around I could drive you back to your rig or you could run back up with the local shuttle company.

Lots of options...
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and the offer to help guys, really appreciate it. It would be this Friday night/Saturday but I think we're going to save Ashland for another trip that we can dedicate fully to it. There's just too much good riding there to only go for a day. And I looked and yes just about every hotel in town is booked solid...

From google maps recon it looks like Grouse Gap Shelter might be beyond the top of the Ashland ski area, correct? On the way back from an Oakridge trip a couple years ago we rolled into town super late and ended up boondocking in that parking lot as we got sick of driving around in the dark and it was the only flat place around. Woke up to ~28 degrees and snow on memorial day weekend, it was pretty cool. Didn't stick around to ride anything as we had to boogie home but definitely want to get back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Let us know how that works out if you decide to stay up top. I only wonder if the Forest Ranger will show up eventually and kick you out.

Definitely need a few days to ride there, and yes the snow is something to be worried about since it was only three to four hundred feet above us during the Spring Thaw because it had fallen the day before.

best of luck, wish i was back riding up to Four Corners again and doing more XC, next year I will be back down from BC for the fourth time.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I look forward to hearing how the K Falls riding was.

You are correct, there is a lot of riding here and well worth a long weekend. The good news is there is great food, drink and entertainment in town as well.

Safe journeys...
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    I'll be in Ashland doing the 6pm Thursday Shuttle. Thanks for the tip on Timbers Lodge.
    I'm sure we will be ready for grub and brews afterwards.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.