mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ashland or Bend for a visit?

I'm driving up from Cali to race a stop of the Oregon Enduro series ( Cold Creek) and wanting to check out some new trails on the way up or down. I likely won't have time to hit both areas so which would be the best?

I ride mainly in SoCal and love flowy and tech lines with jumps etc. I'm down to earn my turns by climbing but prefer gravity over long XC fire road type rides. I ride an Enduro 29-et so not the lightest bike out there.
    Post canyon in Hood river and Demo forest in Santa Cruz are two favorite places that I've ridden in the past.

Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would recommend Ashland with shuttles to the top via Ashland mountain adventures.
    If you are into the more fun side of riding the best stuff in bend will be blown out and destroyed from the race last weekend. Besides about 4 trails, most of bend is XC stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ashland will be far less out of your way and has a lot more vertical to work with. Bend is more buff XC singletrack with a few more technical options (mostly in the Wanoga area). Mt Bachelor bike park should be open pretty soon, though it's the first full season so verdict is maybe is still out on how good it is at this point.

You can easily ride from town or shuttle either place. Terrain is much steeper in Ashland.

Ashland, you can catch a shuttle to the top of Mt. Ashland, and do 5500 ft of vertical ~15 mile descent back into town. Or you can climb up as far as you like then come back down.

You probably can't go wrong either way. And you'll feel right at home with all the transplanted Californians in both Bend and Ashland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bokdoos View Post
    Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
    Blackrock. Flowy and tech lines with jumps to me sounds like an apt description of Sickter Gnar.
    Blackrock Mountain Bike Association

Marys Peak will get you technical. Not so much purpose-built flow or man-made jumps. You can jump some of the root balls if you're good...
    Corvallis Mountain Biking: Mary's Peak Loop
    Corvallis Mountain Biking: A Dream Ride - Mary's Peak Loop
    Marys Peak Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Philomath, OR

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks all! That definitely helps me plan my trip and save a lot of time. I can't wait to ride some amazing OR dirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ashland or Bend for a visit?

Glad I came across this. Headed up in Sep from SD.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the tips. I ended up hitting Ashaland going up to Camas, WA for the race. Had an amazing time riding the trails there before hitting Blackrock on the way down.
    For me Blackrock and all it's features probably takes it as the most fun of the trip but for a pure trail riding experience Tarbell trail in Camas, WA (used for the transfer stages of the Oregon Enduro) was everything I was looking for in a Pac Northwest trail. Simply stunning views and epic loamy single track for miles.

You guys have it good up there in the summer. I can't wait to come back.