The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

Ashland Aug 28/29

I'll be down in the Land of Ash on Aug 28 & 29th (yes, that's a Friday & a Saturday). Anybody want to get together & ride either day? I'm an intermediate-level rider; haven't ridden in Ashland before & am still figuring out what I want to ride. I'm not too fast (I like to stop & pick berries ) but I do have character references.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

DOD Member
    Yup, she's a character all right!
    MaxSteel

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Contact Wes of Cascade MTB adventures. He knows the lay of the land really well and can take you on a ride based on your skill level. (Link in my sig.)

He is also a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would never point out how every thread about this area is promptly followed by the same character advertising the same service.

I would never do such a thing since it would be rude.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup
    I would never point out how every thread about this area is promptly followed by the same character advertising the same service.

I would never do such a thing since it would be rude.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your PM isn't worth a reply. This is a public issue because you've made it one

The constant marketing of tourist oriented services is apparent in these continuous replies to any post related to Ashland. 100 years of tourism and is this town a better place to live because of it?

Do we want our home to be like wackkee kee beeatch. Is that what you really want? Telling me that this is just how it is here is a pansy assed cop out. Every time a post is jumped on as an opportunity to further commercialize this town it dies a little bit more.

Tax this, tax that and why should I care because hey, I'm on vacation and money is no object. How does that feel when you're upside down in a house because of gentrification due to those who first came here on vacation. Or maybe your mobile home is viewed as an eyesore to the tourists and the park is turned into an empty lot. And so digging a deeper hole by inviting more tourists is a great idea?

When I try to find a place inside thats a happy medium on this "issue" I always come to a place far beyond compromise where I lie and tell myself that more and more tourists are welcome. I'm not comfortable with this anymore. Why because it feels like. . .

********e!

The park is crawling with more volunteer cops than people on a typical friday due to this playgue. Not to mention this place slowly being paved into what looks more like the south bay than anywhere else in Oregon to service this infestation.

Did you know your precious watershed is being sold right out from under you this very moment?

Is this what you visualize as a great long term scenario for Ashland?

Do you want your kids to grow up destined to "service" the tourist?

I suggest purchasing a fire sale victorian above the park and opening the finest brothel on the west coast. $150k a year to your city council should take care of the stinky details.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    For the people reading this thread, I will post my PM since this is a "public issue."

"Sorry if you have a problem with me spamming Wes. I would offer my services to show people the trails in our area, but I don't have the time. Wes is available and I'm not gaining anything from him by pushing his info on the Oregon forum readers. I still have to pay for his services like anyone else. He has put down lots of trailwork in the area and actually gives back to the community instead of completly profiting from it. If you have any further issues with my posts, do it here instead... Cliff."

In case I don't see you later, good afternoon, good evening and good night!

mtbr member
    Well gee whiz pedalitup, someone woke up on the bitter side of the bed this morning.

As angry as you may be dude, I gotta admit that you really shouldn't complain about the level of tourism in Ashland especially since a large portion of its economy is based off of that tourism. Whether you like it or not, us tourists are the ones that keep your local and independently owned businesses alive. We eat at your restaurants, we buy food from your grocery stores, we pay nightly fees for hotel rooms and campsites, we pay state parks to visit them, and we pay guide services to show us around. Moreover, you are being a bit hypocritical yourself to bash tourists that visit Ashland because I'm 100% certain that you have beeen and will be a tourist in your life.

I'm going on a road trip to Oregon to ride. That's all I personally care about. On my way there I'll be visiting places that I used to live to ride trails that I used to ride. When I am at my destination I'll be staying with two people who are among the most important trailbuilders in Oregon... They build and maintain trails at Blackrock, they are also largely responsible for the SoLame dirt jump trails in Salem. They will most likely put forth more positive efforts into the community in a month than you will do in your miserable life. On my trip I'd like to ride in Ashland (I also know people that run shuttle services and others that just live and ride there) because I've never been and I hear great things about it. So a tourist I may be when I pass through your town, understand that I will be staying with fine upstanding citizens of the community when I am in your fine state and that I am only there to ride and not exploit all of the fine virtues of Oregon.

And if any tourists wish to ever venture to California I will do my best to house them, pour beer down their throats, and show them some truly amazing riding if they are good people and desire what I can offer.

Beer Is Good Food
    Jan 2009

Welcome to Ashland... Even you Tourists...

Looks to me we have a cynical local ladies and gentleman...
    I am Wes "the dirt bag" Nile... owner and operator of Cascade Mountain Bikes Adventures... a shuttle business... a guide business... and a Mountain Biker non the less... and a single wide mobile home dwelling, mullet wearing cheap beer drinking native Oregonian...
    I welcome each and everyone of you here to Ashland to eat the organic granitic soils of Ashlands finest trails... I would be happy as hell to take your fine tourist dollars... it will be one of the first times that your green backs go missing and you're left with a smile...
    I want to exploit the trails like no other... but I find myself digging in the dirt like a 5 yr old... and time adds up... next thing you know... Ashland's busiest trail is as smooth as a babies arse... Drop the toy store for adults... your local bike shop... and they will tell you a story of the Dirt Bag... who rides in the hills... .. .
    -The End

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Nile
    mullet wearing cheap beer drinking
    I'm not sure which is more disturbing, the mullet or the cheap beer.

gabrielle

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Thanks, Max, I knew I could count on the DOD.

gabrielle

mtbr member
    I can kinda see where Mr Pedalitup is coming from, the American touristy type people can be a little disrespectful at times, but I may be wrong and I don't mean any disrespect, I've always thought of Ashland as a tourist kinda place. You do know of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival right? I don't think the area could support an 8 month season without the tourist dollar, and it was founded in 1935.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    WOW!
    Here's a little more for "pedalitup" to chew on...
    I'm from California, I have a shuttle service here in the fine town of Ashland and I service hundreds of tourest every year now to the trails on Mt.A. They dig it! They keep coming back, and they bring there friends.
    You see I to was, hell still am a tourist, as I'm still back and forth between here and a home in Cali, until next April. (Thats right Wes, I'm here full time! And we''ll be digging in the Dirt like 5 year olds a little more often.) Ashland is a uniquie town with all it's culture and amenities, and has one hell of a Mountain! and for any one person or group to want that for just them selfs is mighty selfish.
    The trails do take a beating, but helpful souls from S.O.F.A., S.O.M.B.A, A.W.T.A. and others not from here, people donating to trail stewardship, help restor the fine trails of Ashland to buttery smoth, railing goooood fun!
    I ask, PEDALITUP, where were you on all these trail work days that I've been a part of sence I've started helping out here almost 2 years ago now? I'm sure you put your time in, somewhere, somehow..
    Oppinons vary, and people have diferent likes, but we should not put down any form of cycling as it's all a healthy escape from the norm.

Ashland Mountain Adventures next trail work day is Nov. 1st. see our website and blog for more info... ps. there will be tourist helping out on that one from Redding and Tahoe.
    some spelling may be incorect... I was riding during my english class!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ashland is 1/2 tourist town, 1/2 college town. Talent on up is Oregon. I rode Ashland alot in the early 90's and it seemed pretty butter, even with no/cruddy suspension. Nowadays, it's pretty much gnarled up and almost requires a full suspension, save for the fire roads.
    Last edited by acctnut; 09-21-2009 at 07:26 PM.

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

What I did.

I spent my tourist dollars at the liquor store...which led almost directly to me having time only to squeeze in a loop on the White Rabbit Trail.

Comments:
    Climb: just about right for one too many G&Ts the night before.
    Signage: pretty good.
    Locals: friendly, but measurement challenged.
    Trail surface: coarse sand over very rutted hardpack for extra excitement in the switchbacks.
    Scenery: pretty good.
    Olfactory: excellent (that madrone smells niiiice right now.)

Outcome: big smile on my face. (But that always happens when I ride my bike.)

gabrielle

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle
    I spent my tourist dollars at the liquor store...which led almost directly to me having time only to squeeze in a loop on the White Rabbit Trail.

Outcome: big smile on my face. (But that always happens when I ride my bike.)

gabrielle
    That's awesome. Hopefully you can make another trip to ride some of the better trails. See ya around!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will be down there Sunday and Monday. My son and I are going to catch a shuttle up Mt Ashland. This will be our first real big mtb ride together. He is 11 yrs and rides a fully rigid 46er. Out of fairness, I will be riding my fully rigid ss 69er. If he handles the ride without any whining, he will earn a new mt bike.