mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Is April 4th too early for a Bend MTB Trip?

My wife and I have April 4-14 off and we are looking for a place to play. We are escaping the Alaskan winter next week for an Arizona MTB trip, but have time to do another in April and we are trying to find something other than desert to ride. Is Bend our April singletrack Mecca? If not, any ideas?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    It's been a lousy snow year, so maybe, but I wouldn't bank on it nonetheless. April is historically a bit early for all but a few low elevation exposed trails.

Afric Pepperbird
    It's been a lousy snow year, which if the last few years indicates, means March and April will be socked in with winter storms.

It's looking a lot like last winter, where we got a very, very late start to the season.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    It's been a lousy snow year, which if the last few years indicates, means March and April will be socked in with winter storms.

It's looking a lot like last winter, where we got a very, very late start to the season.
    +1. I would make a safer bet and hit AZ for a second trip.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Dude, got any schwag?
    Maybe Fruita/Grand Junction?
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As a long time Alaskan, I can tell you that the the bend weather will probably feel nice to you in April. But the riding won't be worth the trip by then. If you were planning on other activities, like smith rock climbing, I'd say bring the bike too. But for a riding vacation in April, stick to the Arizona/Utah desert.

What day are we riding?
    Even in a good year, getting out on the trails before the end of April is pretty iffy. About that time of year I head to AZ (where I am now) or St. George, UT.

Known Mountainbiker
    Barbie Camp happens April 6th -8th.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

QFT. I'd put my bets on a cool/wet spring with plenty of snow. Especially since La Nina is still active by all accounts -- and strengthening by some accounts. That puts into at least 27 straight months of La Nina. Kind of unprecedented, but it is what it is. And even in a normal year we don't reach our peak snowpack until around the beginning of April. From what little I know of Alaska, your summer comes earlier than ours.

And as Caz mentioned, spring Barbie Camp is that weekend. We're usually pretty limited where we can ride. We even relocated our camp from the Camp Sherman area to near Sisters a few years ago, because we were getting snowed out of our usual spot too often. Most spring BC riding focuses on the Sisters/Peterson Ridge system, and that even has snow on it some years. Sometimes we'll go out to Maston or east to Gray Butte (ONLY if it's dry!!) where there's less snow. We do always manage to get some good riding in, but sometimes it's cold and wet, and it's hardly worth the trip from Alaska no matter how bad your cabin fever. Chances are you'd be limited to the places I've already mentioned, plus Horse Ridge and the lower sections of the trails out of Bend. Most of the juicy high-country stuff won't be rideable until at least May or June.

If you want an MTB vacation that time of year, I'd look at Arizona, SoCal or Southern Utah.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo