mtbr member

Applegate & Whiskeytown pics

well the weather up in our neck of the woods was pretty crappy this past w/e. A few friends and I ran away from the wetness, and managed to find sunshine all 4 days this past weekend!
    On Friday, we rode out of Whiskey Town rec. area. Rode "the Recliner" loop which includes the Canal Creek, Pettier rd and trail, Kanaka lp trail, The Ridge, and a few others I can't remember.
    Saturday, rode more Whiskey town stuff. Kanaka pk, Pettier rd. twice, brandy crk, Rich Gulch, Salt Gulch, or I guess better known as "the Couch". I guess we also rode "the Chimney". Whiskey Town riding is great stuff, rocky, technical, steep, flowy, and damn fast at times. The Kanaka peak descent and the Couch descent are among some of the best trails out there, but you have to work to get to the top.
    Sunday, rode in the Applegate Lake area. We rode around the west side of Applegate Lk, and found the New London trail to which climbs to the top of Stein Butte. The New London trail climbs some 3000' in 2.5 miles, and is COVERED in poison oak. This was a push, but for the Stein butte descent... WELL worth the effort! We descended the Stein Butte trail in a matter of 15 minutes or so, with no stopping. Pure Flow. Highly recommended!
    Then we rode up Collings Mtn trail, back to the car. This one hurt, but in the good way. I thought we were at the top about 3 different times, false summits! Damn. The descent was rocky, and quite quick and technical. Good stuff all around. The camp hosts were so friendly, the let us wash up with their personal poison oak soap!
    Monday, we went east of Ashland, with intentions of riding around Brown Mtn. We parked at the brown mtn t/h and rode out to the Fish Lk trail. Rode up to Fish lk then connected w/ High lks trail to Brown Mtn trail. Great views of the 9600' Mt. McLaughlin, and the lava flow from Brown Mtn. However, big snow banks and more snow then some more snow made us turn back and not complete the 800' climb on the west side of Brown mtn. Bummer... next time we gonna get er' done.
    Awesome 4 days riding... great trails, great buddies, and spectacular weather!

Some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

a few more pics

stein butte SUMMIT... 4400'

Red Butte Wilderness

Applegate reservoir

Mt. Mclaughlin

another w/ McLaughlin

OREGON ROCKS!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looking like lots of fun there, Big D. Now I'm jealous since I was on Alpine Saturday in a downpour.......

mtbr member
    Looks cool - where is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I love the novelty of crossing state lines on singletrack, on the New London Trail. One of these years I'm going to combine a Britt Festival concert and a day or two of singletracking around Applegate. Too much fun to have, too little time! Glad y'all had fun.

mtbr member
    Some info here on Applegate rides

http://rvhpa.net/mtbike/index.htm