mtbr member
    Dec 2005

anyone wanna go to utah?

Hey all- I'm sick of the cold and want to go down to utah sometime in march (probly late march) anyone wanna go? any ideas on specifics on where to go? I've never been down there but I've heard that Moab and that area is an amazing place. Tons of biking woudl be fun as well as maybe a little bike packing and backpacking- I just want some sunshine and to check out the desert. Hit me up if anyone wants to go down and we can try and throw something together. the more the merrier (and cheaper)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you go all that way, drive an extra hour and go to Fruita. Moab is fun and adventurous but Fruita is better. Moab is crowded with bikes and jeeps everywhere you go.
    Try to book a hotel as early as you can. I would tell you to camp and where but March in Moab can be snowing and below freezing at night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Jeep Week

Try and avoid Jeep Week in Moab. I don't have details, but I've heard they are expanding it big time this year -- maybe two weeks long -- and I'm pretty sure that it is in very early April.

mtbr member
    I think the jeep safari is memorial day weekend, but there may be another one in March. Definitely avoid going during any major festivals. In the beginning of march you won't see too many bikers...thats one of the best times to ski in UT/CO. It will pick up significantly in April. If you're looking for a hotel, the Bowen is cheap, clean and allows bikes and dogs in the rooms. Oh, and its downtown, within walking distance of several watering holes.

Depending on your style of riding, and how long you want to ride, there are a lot of options. I am a technical xc type rider - highly recommend Porcupine, amassa back, slickrock, and sovereign in Moab and horsethief, mack ridge and troy build in Fruita. (Moore Fun if you really like uphill technical punishment). Theres also a slew of new fr/dh oriented trails in moab. Check out the PoisenSpider shop (moab) for maps and details.

Hard to say which is better between Moab and Fruita. I think the views and terrain are much better in Moab, but the singletrack (and lack of motorized vehicles) is a big plus for fruita. If you have time you could go west and ride gooseberry mesa and virgin...some of the best (and almost undiscovered) riding in the southwest.

Wish I could go. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailfan
    If you go all that way, drive an extra hour and go to Fruita. Moab is fun and adventurous but Fruita is better. Moab is crowded with bikes and jeeps everywhere you go.
    Try to book a hotel as early as you can. I would tell you to camp and where but March in Moab can be snowing and below freezing at night.
    I've been to Fruita and Moab, for a roadtrip I'd hit Moab just because the riding is so different from what we have here. Fruita has some nice trails but I didn't find them to be that different from just going to Bend, and after doing all-day epics in Moab they seemed pretty short. That being said after two trips to Moab I probably won't go back until I get a chance to ride some other places first (Like Gooseberry Mesa).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    I've been to Fruita and Moab, for a roadtrip I'd hit Moab just because the riding is so different from what we have here. Fruita has some nice trails but I didn't find them to be that different from just going to Bend, and after doing all-day epics in Moab they seemed pretty short. That being said after two trips to Moab I probably won't go back until I get a chance to ride some other places first (Like Gooseberry Mesa).
    As a fellow Oregonian, I would say you summed up that area and experience perfectly.

And DEFINITELY hit Gooseberry (St. George/Hurricane area in general) at your first opportunity!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Regarding Fruita - Fruita has just as technical riding as Moab. If you're on the North side of town, it could be compared to Bend. But the south side, in the canyon, is nothing like Oregon.
    From March to early July, there are at least two organized events going on in town EACH weekend. It will be crowded no matter what. but like everyone else said, Avoid Jeep week. All the best trails will be over run by jeeps, drunk frat wannabe's, and fat tourist who made the trek just to watch the jeeps. It smeels like gasoline and burning rubber all weekend, and at night you'll be overwhelmed by the sound of throating V8's echoing from all directions.

mtbr member
    Good to hear that Bend and Fruita are so similar. I'm a recent transplant and haven't made it down there yet....looking forward to a spring trip.

Living in salt lake I made 2-3 trips to moab and fruita each year (starting to miss those trips!). I always avoided the jeep safari weekend in moab...but had some great trips in early spring and late fall. When its cold out, no one camps and you really do have a lot of the trails to yourself. One of my favorite trips was in early november. We camped at the sites by the slickrock trail head and were the only people there.

Pick the wrong weekend, however, and it can be very crowded...especially popular trails like slickrock and porc. Fruita is generally less crowded but does have its moments.

What day are we riding?

2006 Easter Jeep Safari Dates

Dates are April 8 through April 16.
    Last edited by Rockin; 02-23-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Making fat cool since '71

They don't seem *that* similar...

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Good to hear that Bend and Fruita are so similar. I'm a recent transplant and haven't made it down there yet....looking forward to a spring trip.

Living in salt lake I made 2-3 trips to moab and fruita each year (starting to miss those trips!). I always avoided the jeep safari weekend in moab...but had some great trips in early spring and late fall. When its cold out, no one camps and you really do have a lot of the trails to yourself. One of my favorite trips was in early november. We camped at the sites by the slickrock trail head and were the only people there.

Pick the wrong weekend, however, and it can be very crowded...especially popular trails like slickrock and porc. Fruita is generally less crowded but does have its moments.

Having lived in GJ for 12 years and ridden there for 6 and done some riding in Bend during my 8 years living in OR I wouldn't say they are all that similar. The bookcliff area (north of town) has some noticeable similarities as someone else has suggested, but (in my opinion) that would be mainly some of the trails which are in the lower portions of the cliffs and not the trails out north-west of Mack (Rabbit Valley, etc) or on top of the bookcliffs but I don't have a ton of seat time on many trails really east of Bend so maybe way-out there there are some similar trails (?). The Mack/Loma area (Troy built, Moore fun, etc...) is it's own sweet area unlike anything I've seen in OR (may or may not be "better", but it is different) and there are even better (sort of) trails on the south side of the river if you can get to them or if they are still open (several have closed in the last several years).

UT can be cold, cold, cold at the end of March. We've been snowed on in Moab/Westwater/GJ areas many a times in March/April. The "clay" in GJ can be sooooo fun when it has a few inches of snow on it for a few days...

Anyway, have fun and I don't think you can go wrong getting trail info from *any* of the local shops in Moab. Everyone knows OTE in Fruita, but if they are busy or you are staying in GJ there are a couple of good shops in town if you want their contact info. I wish I could take a week or so off to go hit it with you. Ride well.

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.