Nat
    Solo contendre

Anyone riding in Bend this afternoon (Mon. 6/5)?

I think I will head out right after lunch and need to be home by 5 (preferably 4:30).

industry employee
    Nat,

I'll be out at the slalom play loop this afternoon dailing in my 4x bike. I cannot do a longer ride until sometime after 5pm.

mike

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Trail report from today:

- The climb up to Swede Ridge shelter starting at Skyliner parking lot is clear of snow up until the last left turn below the shelter. I crossed fewer than half a dozen blow-downs.

- Tumalo Creek trail is clear without any dust to speak of.

- The climb up Farewell is clear of snow up until about a mile into the forest on top. No blow-downs. Plenty of bumblebees on the exposed south face. If I slowed down they would land on me and sass me with their ass.

- There is plenty of bushy overgrowth encroaching all three trails. I could've used some football shoulder pads and leather chaps.

- The soil is freaking great right now.

Gittyup!
    Thanks for the report Nat. Sorry I couldn't join in. That trying to find a job thing got in the way Perhaps Thursday?

So, if you climbed up to Swede Shelter, what way did you come down, and how did you tie in Farewell?

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Trail report from today:

- The climb up to Swede Ridge shelter starting at Skyliner parking lot is clear of snow up until the last left turn below the shelter. I crossed fewer than half a dozen blow-downs.

- The climb up Farewell is clear of snow up until about a mile into the forest on top. No blow-downs. Plenty of bumblebees on the exposed south face. If I slowed down they would land on me and sass me with their ass.

- There is plenty of bushy overgrowth encroaching all three trails. I could've used some football shoulder pads and leather chaps.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Thanks for the report Nat. Sorry I couldn't join in. That trying to find a job thing got in the way Perhaps Thursday?

So, if you climbed up to Swede Shelter, what way did you come down, and how did you tie in Farewell?
    I should be able to ride on Thursday. I'm on-call though, so I wouldn't be able to stray too far from Bend. Let's check back here Wed. night how about?

I rode from Skyliner lot up the the steep 1-track that becomes 2-track (does that route have an official name?) to the shelter, then came back the same way. I then rode down Tumalo Creek trail to the beginning of Farewell, then climbed out/back.

Just turned 29er
    I then rode down Tumalo Creek trail to the beginning of Farewell, then climbed out/back.
    Kudos to you...I've never even thought of climbing UP Farewell...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer0
    Kudos to you...I've never even thought of climbing UP Farewell...
    It only hurts for a little while...

Did I see that you have a 2er SS? What kind?

mtbr member
    Trail report from today:

Climbed up upper Whoops to the road just before Shooting Star Shelter today. No snow at all on the trail (elv. 5400ish feet). It's the first time the soil has ever been firm enough for me to even make the climb up. Very nice right now.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    Climbed up upper Whoops to the road just before Shooting Star Shelter today. No snow at all on the trail (elv. 5400ish feet). It's the first time the soil has ever been firm enough for me to even make the climb up. Very nice right now.
    Which bike did you take? Which way did you return?

mtbr member
    The On-One, it was great except the soil is so firm the rigid fork was killing me on the studder bumps. I should have the Intense back this weekend, it'll be like getting a new bike all over again. Can't wait!

Came back down Storm King and took it all the way down to the river, but then took the road home.

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention that they put the big fence up today. We had to ride up Century to FS400 across from Inn of the seventh Mt. to access COD.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    Forgot to mention that they put the big fence up today. We had to ride up Century to FS400 across from Inn of the seventh Mt. to access COD.
    Was there much blowdown on Storm King south of Century?

mtbr member
    Was there much blowdown on Storm King south of Century?
    Not a ton, maybe 6 or 7 total. A few were quite large and could make it hard to find your way if you weren't familiar with the trail.

Just turned 29er
    Did I see that you have a 2er SS? What kind?
    I've got an old steel Stumpjumper that became my SS test sled for a year. I've got a KM frame on the way that I'll move all of the useable parts over to. I can't wait to get it built up!

It'll be my first ride on a 29er...but I love 700c wheels offroad from riding my cross bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Guys, our group cleared probably 6-7 blow downs that we could move on Storm King South of Century last Friday. Yeah, there was still some more big ones we could not move.
    I let Kent know and he was going to see about cutting them out soon. The flagging on the North side just South of Century is for the start of the new Wanoga trail system you guys are getting over there...
    The single to Double up to Shooting Star was probably Tumalo Ridge trail. Right? Never been up it but could be great. Just down and that was a blast too. (So, Sector 16 still has snow?)

Thanks for the info on Farewell. Glad we did not go that way last Saturday. Though I'll say it again, Going up Farewell and down Mrazek is the SH!T! Farewell is a pretty easy 40 minute climb. Especially in these conditions. Makes the big loop that much better. traction was stellar the whole trip. Didn't mind the rain at all.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Guys, our group cleared probably 6-7 blow downs that we could move on Storm King South of Century last Friday. Yeah, there was still some more big ones we could not move.
    I let Kent know and he was going to see about cutting them out soon. The flagging on the North side just South of Century is for the start of the new Wanoga trail system you guys are getting over there...
    The single to Double up to Shooting Star was probably Tumalo Ridge trail. Right? Never been up it but could be great. Just down and that was a blast too. (So, Sector 16 still has snow?)

Thanks for the info on Farewell. Glad we did not go that way last Saturday. Though I'll say it again, Going up Farewell and down Mrazek is the SH!T! Farewell is a pretty easy 40 minute climb. Especially in these conditions. Makes the big loop that much better. traction was stellar the whole trip. Didn't mind the rain at all.
    Thanks for helping clear what you could; that was thoughtful of you guys.

I usually refer to that single-to-double trail to Swede Ridge shelter as "the climb up Swede Ridge" but I've also heard it called "Boy Scout Trail." I've never seen any official name on a map or on a trail sign. It seems as if half of the trails in the area have two or three names.

Here's a trail report I got from outside MTBR dated yesterday, June 6:
    "I rode Upper whoops and the sector 16 trail up to the Swede Ridge shelter yesterday, and felt that I should share the trail conditions.

Upper whoops was in great shape, but after the trail drops down from the shelter it got very messy with at least 15 spots with downed trees along the Sector 16 portion of that loop. There was still some snow that required hiking, but it was relatively minor. The downed trees, however, made for many hike-a-bike sections."

I like going up Farewell better than going down it, and I like Mrazek both directions. I usually descend Mrazek from higher up, via Metolius/Windigo, but if I'm starting from town Mrazek is a fun climb. Sheeit, riding is good no matter how you slice it!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Our pleasure. It's the least we could have done. After such killer conditions last week, I e-mailed everyone that came down and suggested we should all join COTA at least to kick them a few bucks.

Yes, one thing about the riding there is that it IS good either direction no matter where you go. One of these days I'll have to do the loop the opposite direction. Up Mrazek, down Farewell, up Tumelo Creek/Skyliners and down Phil's. Hoping to get back in the fall for the BBFT since I hear it's still gonna go on.