mtbr member

Any young mtb families in portland?

Hey, my wife and I have a five-month old daughter and are looking for some other young families to ride with. We used to ride a ton, but as anyone with kids knows its harder to get out now. Ideal situation would be to find a group of people (men & women riders) with young kids. I would gladly take a turn watching the kids while the women go out and ride to be able to hammer guilt-free later in the day.

I've been out a fair amount this year, but the wife will be starting from ground zero. Was thinking of some day trips out to Hood River, Mt St Helens, etc. but would also be up for hitting something closer - Forest Park/Powell Butte.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Hey, my wife and I have a five-month old daughter and are looking for some other young families to ride with. We used to ride a ton, but as anyone with kids knows its harder to get out now. Ideal situation would be to find a group of people (men & women riders) with young kids. I would gladly take a turn watching the kids while the women go out and ride to be able to hammer guilt-free later in the day.

I've been out a fair amount this year, but the wife will be starting from ground zero. Was thinking of some day trips out to Hood River, Mt St Helens, etc. but would also be up for hitting something closer - Forest Park/Powell Butte.
    Yo Dawg,

I'd be game. I live in Salem and we have a 3 year old. Unfortunately, he does not have the SS pedaling gene as of yet. We do have a Burley kid trailer and would love to hook up with folks for a chill ride. My definition of hills and my wife's vary slightly, if you catch my drift. I would love to day trip out to the old railroad grade adjacent to the Deschutes River, near The Dalles, or even Forest Park. I also know of a couple other folks with grommets too.

This coming weekend is shot, but PM and we could work out the details.

EDIT: That is if you wanted to do family/group rides. I just comprehended your original thread.

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Cool. I've been thinking about getting a Burley or Chariot trailer. Do you pull that on your SS? I've got a SS I use to train with on my commute and short rides during the week but am very green as far as SS goes and was thinking it would be too hard with a trailer - I have a hard enough time pushing myself up some hills.

I'm out of town this weekend as well. Will definitely PM you next week.

Derek

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Cool. I've been thinking about getting a Burley or Chariot trailer. Do you pull that on your SS? I've got a SS I use to train with on my commute and short rides during the week but am very green as far as SS goes and was thinking it would be too hard with a trailer - I have a hard enough time pushing myself up some hills.

I'm out of town this weekend as well. Will definitely PM you next week.

Derek
    Those Chariot rigs are nice, esp. if you xc-ski too.

I was pulling the kid on my SS just around town. I threatened him to take him on some logging roads. That never came to fruition. Now I have a new commuter, so I will probably hook him up to that and get grossly out of shape. If you do take the kid out to the trails in a trailer on your SS, you will be the man! Will chat next week some time.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Count us in!

My wife and I would love joining you guys. We've got a couple of boys, one is 2 going on 3 year and the latest addition is just going on 1 month!

We live in NE Portland and love riding on the east side of Mt Hood. We've never done the Mt. St. Helens thing but with each year that passes, we feel like we've missed out.

If you guys like camping and are interested, I think it'd be a blast to set up a campout.

On the kid's trailer note . . . we just sold our Burley and picked up a Chariot at REI's anniversary sale. I'm totally impressed, the thing, it's so well thought out. It is so easy switch disciplines. It can go from a jogger to a bike trailer in just a couple minutes tops.
    Not to down play the Burley, it's really cool and it has features I'll surely miss.

Anyhow, please keep me in to loop.

Singletrack Addict
    My kids are a bit older (8,10,11) and each have little mini-me mtn bikes. The wife plays soccer. Every single summer I have these great lofty ambitions of mountain biking vacations and weekend camping trips. Between the wife's soccer schedule, the kids' summer day camp/swimming lessons, etc. and my job and wacked service industry-not-on-the-traditional Sat-Sun days off routine, these plans rarely materialize (not to mention the price of gas lately and the cost of aforementioned activities). I usually manage to get enough rides, however, to feel worthy about calling meself a mountain biker, but always jonesing for more.

Now, as my kids are getting older they can do some more of the fun stuff I like to do, I plan (once again) to get out this summer more with them, even if it means leaving mom back in town to have her soccer affairs and maybe feel like an adult some time. To that end, hooking up with other families for fun forest frollicking sounds like a good time.

Oh, and the St Helens thing? Will blow your mind.

mtbr member
    Congradulations! Good to hear there are some future mtn bikers here in portland.

I picked up a 6-man tent at the rei sale - plenty of room for the pack-n-play! We moved to the area a year ago, but being pregnant didn't camp at all. So, we would be very interested in camping some weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggyfoot
    On the kid's trailer note . . . we just sold our Burley and picked up a Chariot at REI's anniversary sale. I'm totally impressed, the thing, it's so well thought out. It is so easy switch disciplines. It can go from a jogger to a bike trailer in just a couple minutes tops.
    Not to down play the Burley, it's really cool and it has features I'll surely miss.
    We are definitely sold on Burley. We have a double that we got from a buddy after his TWINS got too big to fit in it. His kids are now 12 or 13 and we are still using that same Burley for our youngest, age 4. It's a little tight to try and fit our 6 year old in with the 4 year old now, plus they tend to fight when they're in there together. We also have Burley Piccolo trailerbike (same buddy sold us that) and the 6 year old can ride along behind me on it.

We can use the Burley as a stroller\jogger too, so I'm curious what the Chariot offered that the Burley did not? Also, Burley is an Oregon company (Eugene), another point in their favor.

Anyway, back to the original subject, we'd also be interested in the family ride and or campout possibility. Banks-Vernonia trail is another good spot for a family ride. Happy trails.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like there's a critical mass of parents who haven't gotten enough dirt/mud on their bikes. We're in the *exact* same boat with a 10 month & 3 year old. We drag the kids around in the chariot for urb riding and recently rode around Lost Lake paved roads. Even with suspension, sustained offroad is a bit bouncy for the little ones. We'd be all over things like:
    - hang out at the trailhead while pairs of riders go off.
    - trade babysitting to do some rides.
    - camp and trade off like the trailhead approach but camping
    etc.
    If into it, email charliewicker @ gmail dot com
    btw, we're in NE pdx

Also, my wife is looking for women to ride with. She was fast pre-kid (ahhh, the good old days) and is getting back into it.

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    I live in Salem and we have a 3 year old.
    Hey Mike. I live in Salem and have a 4 year old who tolerates -- or enjoys, depending on the quality of the snacks -- hour-or-so long rides in the Burley. I pull him using my singlespeed...

He's not too interested in going out today (it's raining), but that's not going to stop me. Let me know if you feel like a short ride in South Salem, today or some other time; I'm headed for a quick fix down the Belcrest Trails to Minto (yes, I'm desparate!) on my singlespeed, for maybe about an hour / hour and a 1/2. (I don't think I have "PM" capability, so you might need to post on this board - sorry.) Maybe we can try a family ride in Salem on a sunnier day!

mtbr member
    Cool! I'm getting psyched knowing there's some other folks here in PDX with kids who want to hit the trails. This may be too last minute, but my wife and I are thinking of heading to bend next weekend (June 10-11). This will be a trip of firsts for us - first time camping with a 6-month old and first time camping in Bend...and will be very chill. If anyone is interested in biking, hiking, or just hanging out around a campfire send me a PM.