Woodchuck
    Mar 2007

Any true singletrack in Ashland, Grants Pass?

I'll be there in April and all the info I see refers to FS roads or the singletrack photos show 2' wide dirt highways. Any info on narrow, rocky, rooty routes much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Search Applegate!
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Woodchuck
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the tour!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are a few areas that have some single. Depending on where you are coming from it may seem like a lot or not much. The Ashland watershed has a few miles, Prescott Park in Medford has a little, Applegate has the largest amount. It's a bit of a drive out of Medford ~45 minutes.

HTH

mtbr member
    Here are some of my favorite rides, there may be some snow on the tops tho
    http://rvhpa.net/mtbike/index.htm
    I mountain bike, therefore, I trespass.
    [SIZE=1]
    http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?name=christian_r

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you dont mind dirtbikes, johns peak is a great area. There are hundreds of miles of single track to be ridden. Johns peak is bout five miles outside of jacksonville. Its really killer ridding if you dont mind pedaling uphill alot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is there any maps of johns peak? I have heard of riding up there and i even drove up there one day. but i had no idea where i was and couldn't really tell where the trails started.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Im not sure about maps. Most of the trails are so scatted about that it would be really hard to map them. I know that the motorcycle riders association is working on a trail network that will be mapped. You could contact them about it. I know just about every square inch of the area. I could show you around if you want to go that route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    LucasP,

I'd be interested in a tour. I'm an xc rider and recently moved to Ashland/Medford from Salt Lake City. I would love to learn about the area a bit more. I'll be out of town this weekend, but would love going out on a Sat sometime for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ucme4dk,

Pm just sent a pm to you.

Live 2 Ride
    Define "True Singletrack" in a trail. I'm happy here with what little I have for offroad yet everyone says it's not really a trail.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Define "True Singletrack" in a trail. I'm happy here with what little I have for offroad yet everyone says it's not really a trail.
    Are you serious about what little off road we have? From downtown medford I can drive 15 minutes in any direction and be "off road." The off road here is great, whether is be on a bike or in a truck.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    LucasP,

I'd be interested in a tour. I'm an xc rider and recently moved to Ashland/Medford from Salt Lake City. I would love to learn about the area a bit more. I'll be out of town this weekend, but would love going out on a Sat sometime for a few hours.
    The snow levels are a bit low to get the full meal right now so to speak, but my buddy Wes Rogers is trying to start up a local tour company. He's currently working at the Grotto in Talant as far as I know, but I can give him a jingle and see if he's ready to show you around...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasP
    Are you serious about what little off road we have? From downtown medford I can drive 15 minutes in any direction and be "off road." The off road here is great, whether is be on a bike or in a truck.
    Sorry - I was referring to Lebanon Oregon where I live.

Just kinda tired of people saying unless you ride a trail like Moab then you don't have a true singleback...
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Woodchuck
    Mar 2007

What is singletrack??

Thanks Everybody. Looks like some good options. I will be there in April and I hope to find some of it that is dry.

When I say "true singletrack" I'm comparing to my home turf in Vermont. I'm now in Boise, ID and it is clear that with few exceptions I'll have to travel to find trails that are not wide and buffed out. I learned to ride on trails that more resemble deer or goat paths. Sometimes you see em, and sometimes you gotta look out ahead to figure out where they go. We tried to make our trails as minimal as possible, and as close to the trees as possible. A trail without multiple low-level obstructions in VT is called a road. No compalints though, about the tough ass western climbs, and super-fun descents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I rode the "2 foot highway" trails of the Ashland watershed today. They are in great shape. There is lots of blow down in the forest but the trails were clear and smooth. The original poster may like them better in the fall when the switchbacks are all rutted up. I even blasted down BTI without my teeth shattering - the rains have been good to the trails .

To the original poster - ask about Wagner Creek when you get out this way. There is a lot of tight single track up there. Not quite goat trails, but pretty tight.

Dave