Afric Pepperbird

Any trails up near Pine Mountain Observatory?

Having lived in Bend for years, I have never heard of any biking trails up near the observatory. Actually, I have never even gone up there, period.

There must be some trails around there, no? Has anyone really explored the area by bike?

I know someone here biked the 8 mile dirt road to the observatory last winter, but did not mention if there were rideable trails up top.

I'm just looking for ideas.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No idea of trails, but it is SOOOO far out there, and the road is "the" way to go, and the observatory is the target for most visitors, so I would actually be surprised if there were trails on the way down. I know the canyon on the north side of the mountain that you drive up is surprisingly pretty, so there is certainly potential for a trail if someone wanted to build one. But like I said, it is pretty darned remote, so I doubt people would want to go to the effort, particularly since it gets pretty could dousing of snow, so it would not really offer much of a season outside of what we have closer in to town.

I would be interested to hear from others, though, as the observatory is really neat, the campground is nice, so it could make a fun 1- or 2- night camping trip with riding and stars. I highly recommend going out there on a good small moon night just for the star-gazing. Lots of people with really nice scopes that love to let you try them out.