Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Beer Swilling Clyde

Any recent news on Timberline?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any info on the progress going on at Timberline? From what I had seen last winter work was supposed to start this summer but haven't heard anything since then. I get all giddy when I think of lift access only an hour away! My next rig is going to be heavily influenced by the trails out there depending on if they are more freeride or downhill orientated either way I can't wait for next summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any info on the progress going on at Timberline? From what I had seen last winter work was supposed to start this summer but haven't heard anything since then. I get all giddy when I think of lift access only an hour away! My next rig is going to be heavily influenced by the trails out there depending on if they are more freeride or downhill orientated either way I can't wait for next summer.
    I new it was too good to be true when the initial announcement said there were plans to start trailbuilding this summer/ fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    they have been building but they were stopped recently . Some concerns about something. I forget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    they have been building but they were stopped recently . Some concerns about something. I forget.
    Cool, I didn't realize they had started digging.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

it means 'no problem'
    There is some "opposition" to the project and they have engaged a law firm http://crag.org/ that is saying they have the intent to sue if the project goes forward.

Send your comments to SUPPORT the project here:
    comments-pacificnorthwest-mthood-zigzag@fs.fed.us

egads.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    I was perusing through the crag link sans soucie provided and found This to be quite interesting. I thought HUB was supposed to be bike friendly. If you attend this event at the HUB, a portion of the profits from your beer and food will go to crag.

Edit...Looks like it already happened.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Don't forget BARK. There is some crossover between staff of CRAG and BARK.

http://www.bark-out.org/topic.php?id=Timberline

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    Don't forget BARK. There is some crossover between staff of CRAG and BARK.

http://www.bark-out.org/topic.php?id=Timberline

...and Friends of Mt. Hood:

http://www.friendsofmounthood.org/fmh.htm

Scroll down a little for their position on the Timberline Bike Park project.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, let's not build a bike park in a ski area, because we all know how little environmental damage a ski area does. It's the same thing as Forest Park - people (hikers) simply don't want to share, and they are willing to take their fight anywhere they feel threatened. It would be nice if Timberline would take the offensive and not let them spin and manipulate the situation as has been done with FP. Question them on their motives, call them out on their bs, then build the park!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    ...and Friends of Mt. Hood:

http://www.friendsofmounthood.org/fmh.htm

Scroll down a little for their position on the Timberline Bike Park project.
    Wow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    vote with a bullet

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Was up there last week, here is a post from the NWTA forums about the trip -

http://nw-trail.org/forum/trail-info...s/general/2093

ronbo613
    vote with a bullet
    Do you really think that is the solution to this (or any other) problem, especially with people in your own community?

mtbr member
    Last I heard, they will not make the final decision about the park until December. They are currently conducting the environmental impact studies.

mtbr member
    Here's a good article in opposition.
    http://goo.gl/XRKh

Funny how we've all been talking about 16 miles of trail, but the NWTA links says they've flagged 25.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I like the part in the commentary about the negative affects on Skibowl. If Skibowl is really that worried, maybe they should have thought of building a bike park that was worth paying money to use. I can understand going there to do a DH race, but go there to just ride? No way. Look up 1/2 arse in the dictionary and you are likely to find a pic of Skibowl's mtb park.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Can anyone confirm this:

Ironically, on mountain bike trails elsewhere in the Mount Hood National Forest, downhill riding is prohibited in order to “prevent erosion”, according to the Forest Service trail signage.
    Downhill riding is prohibited on other mountain bike trails in the MHNF? I was not aware of any directional trails around here -- are there any? I have yet to see one in this state.

Even Sandy Ridge is "suggested" one-way but that way is downhill so they must be talking about something else (or making **** up).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam esp
    Here's a good article in opposition.
    http://goo.gl/XRKh

Funny how we've all been talking about 16 miles of trail, but the NWTA links says they've flagged 25.
    Thanks for that link. Has anyone that supports the opposing view even spent any time in the area that the park would be built? I have, and it is far from pristine back country. (If they want a pristine mountain then level Timberline and remove all of the ski lifts and hiking trails from the mountain.) Hikers and summer snow users will not be affected at all above the treeline/lodge.

Wow, using Ski Bowl as an argument? They really do not understand. How can we make them understand what is a good trail/park and what is not?

I am all for riding closer to town and Sandy Ridge is a welcome improvement. It is a 35 mile drive each way though. Too bad Portland is not receptive to anything closer in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Something really stands out on that site: they are proponents of increasing the number of hiking trails on mt hood. I'm not necessarily against it, but it seems odd to talk about the damage and destruction that would be caused from building bike trails in an existing commercial recreation area, but at the same time insist that cutting new trails through the pristine backcountry is somehow ok, and encourage more users in this fragile alpine environment.

it would take a renewed commitment from the Forest Service to expand the trail network around the mountain, and this is the largest obstacle. The agency has been doing just the opposite for many years, allowing trails to fade into oblivion for lack of basic maintenance.

But this is also where you can help: the Forest Service has the funding to provide more trails, yet needs strong public support to make trails a priority in agency budgets. Buying a forest pass simply isn’t enough, unfortunately.

Make your opinion known, and don’t accept the “lack of funding” explanation. Instead, take a look at this comparison of funding for Mount Hood and a couple of well-known national parks, and simply ask that YOUR forest to be managed with trail recreation at the top of the priority list.
    Hey that's me! I want trail recreation at the top of the list too!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for pointing that out, the level of hypocrisy is amazing...
    http://wyeastblog.wordpress.com/2010...springs-trail/

Opposing a highly maintained and professionally built trail network in a concentrated area already heavily developed as a ski resort, then advocating for 5 miles of trail deep in the Mt Hood wilderness and criticizing the forest service for "allowing trails to fade into oblivion", or um, returning to nature because no one is using them. It shouldn't take a team of biologists to figure out which has the most ecological impact, or an economist to figure out which one benefits the greatest number of forest users. We need to start calling them on this elitist self-serving BS.

MattSavage
    Oh my god... That is the most selfish, ignorant, hypocritical blog of all time... They're sooo upset about a few new trails at Timberline, yet they're proposing new trails and reroutes all over the place for hikers in the same ecological conditions. Not to mention the build, build, build mentality for the proposed National Park... New byways, new lodges, new trails, more people, drive, drive, drive, spew more pollution throughout the forest, more trash all over... In the meantime, push the bike park onto private land or into active timber harvest areas and build new facilitites instead of utilizing existing ones at a current recreation area...

Such nonsense... I can't believe they're so blinded by selfish righteousnouss. They can't even get their captions right. That first photo is Black Rock, not Post... Sheesh...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mt Hood? another Cascades volcano with that eerie, dank vibe? I say we tear it up and let everyone play hard on it till it recycles itself.

If you don't quit squabbling and just go up there aand use it you're gonna lose it just like FP.

Shred it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mt Hood? another Cascades volcano with that eerie, dank vibe? I say we tear it up and let everyone play hard on it till it recycles itself.

If you don't quit squabbling and just go up there and use it you're gonna lose it just like FP.

Shred it!

mtbr member
    I'm not seeing the hypocrisy angle. The guy (a mtn biker, btw) says why he doesn't think T-line is the best choice for a bike park and then presents several alternatives. I agree with him that the money would be better spent in Govy. It's been years since I've ridden there, is Skibowl beyond improving?

The idea behind the Cooper Springs trail (which passes thru some very nice country) is to take camping pressure off the N side and Paradise. I think it's a great idea, but doubt it'll ever happen as nobody stands to make any money off it.

And WRT to the National Park dream, I honestly don't think there's any reason to expect we'd (bikers) fare any better under that regime than we did under the Wilderness proposal. IOW, we'd be valuable during consensus building, but expendable afterwards.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam esp
    I'm not seeing the hypocrisy angle. The guy (a mtn biker, btw) says why he doesn't think T-line is the best choice for a bike park and then presents several alternatives. I agree with him that the money would be better spent in Govy. It's been years since I've ridden there, is Skibowl beyond improving?

The idea behind the Cooper Springs trail (which passes thru some very nice country) is to take camping pressure off the N side and Paradise. I think it's a great idea, but doubt it'll ever happen as nobody stands to make any money off it.
    There is plenty of hiking in other places, in fact there are some nice yet underused trails behind Skibowl. Why not hike and camp over there and take some pressure off mt hood?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast