Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Any place to ride in Bend this weekend?

We are either going to the beach or Central Oregon for a Valentine weekend. Are there any trails in Central Oregon that are free of snow and not too muddy?

Thanks,

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-12-2008 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    We are either going to the beach or Central Oregon for a Valentine weekend. Are there any trails in Central Oregon that are free or snow and not too muddy?

Thanks,

Jaybo
    I wish I could give you good news, butnothing in town is rideable. Even our old staple Horseridge has quite a bit of snow, which probably is turning to slush & mud by now, since it is almost 60 degrees today, in the 50's yesterday, etc...

I am about to lose it cause I haven't got to ride dirt for a looonggg time!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Thanks for information

I'm off to the beach! I hope I don't go crazy down there. I need to move to live...a true act of love on Valentines

Jaybo

mtbr member
    I'm off to the beach! I hope I don't go crazy down there. I need to move to live...a true act of love on Valentines

Jaybo

Head over to Newport, that way if ya get a bit crazy, there's always Rogue Brewery to calm your nerves

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    I wish I could give you good news, butnothing in town is rideable. Even our old staple Horseridge has quite a bit of snow, which probably is turning to slush & mud by now, since it is almost 60 degrees today, in the 50's yesterday, etc...

I am about to lose it cause I haven't got to ride dirt for a looonggg time!
    I tried to ride Horse Ridge last Saturday and it was a mistake. I only made it a little ways and then turned around. Road riding was the only option.

Parts of Smith Rock should be ridable and dry this weekend. Back behind Gray Butte will almost surely be too muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson
    I tried to ride Horse Ridge last Saturday and it was a mistake. I only made it a little ways and then turned around. Road riding was the only option.

Parts of Smith Rock should be ridable and dry this weekend. Back behind Gray Butte will almost surely be too muddy.
    I'm going to give HR a shot this weekend, as it has been a bit warm, hopefully it will be rideable & some dirt will be showing ; )

Cline Butte area is a good option as well. I drove out there last Sunday & it was pretty dry, only little spots of snow, going to hit that up as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What to ride?

We are either going to the beach or Central Oregon for a Valentine weekend. Are there any trails in Central Oregon that are free of snow and not too muddy?

Thanks,

Jaybo
    How far down the coast are you going? There is some riding at Cummins Creek, south of Yachats, and some more riding at the Horse Trails, just north of Florence.

But if you're going for Valentines Day weekend, the only thing you should be riding is your honey!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm going to give HR a shot this weekend, as it has been a bit warm, hopefully it will be rideable & some dirt will be showing ; )

Cline Butte area is a good option as well. I drove out there last Sunday & it was pretty dry, only little spots of snow, going to hit that up as well.
    Cline Butte sounds like a good call. There was still a lot of moisure at HR. I was surprised there was so much snow up there. The last storm really nailed the spot. If it were to stay cold I'm sure it woul be fun but a bit icy. The problem last weekend was that it was so warm the trail was more like a creek. I still may go there but ride the road if it isn't radically more dry. I don't need to work on my bike for two hours after an hour ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anyone able to find any ridable trails in/around Bend? Trying to head out for a mtn bike ride tomorrow but before I call the sitter, I was hoping that someone had some success finding a ridable trail right now. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you like technical/rocky downhills try Cline Butte. The trail is in really good shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalbikegirl
    Anyone able to find any ridable trails in/around Bend? Trying to head out for a mtn bike ride tomorrow but before I call the sitter, I was hoping that someone had some success finding a ridable trail right now. Thanks
    Probably too late a response, but I did ride Horse Ridge Saturday, the lower areas are fine, but upper has a bunch of crunchy snow & ice, pretty hard to keep the momentum, but I was stubborn & went to the top anyways. Not really worth an out of town drive, but I am 20 minutes away. Going down was fun, even though there was pleny of mud & ice to negotiate, drifting off the brakes was worthwhile, IMO ; )

Hopefully the weather will stay warm enough, but still rain a bit to melt some snow out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cline Butte was really good yesterday (Sunday). There was just a little ice on the road on the way up. Very good, eventhough the loop is short.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson
    Cline Butte was really good yesterday (Sunday). There was just a little ice on the road on the way up. Very good, eventhough the loop is short.
    Did you do either of the DH trails on the way down? If so, how were they, or the other good stuff at the bottom?? ; )

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Did you do either of the DH trails on the way down? If so, how were they, or the other good stuff at the bottom?? ; )
    I rode the less difficult DH trail (#1) for a few laps. It is in prime shape. The single track at the bottom was in perfect condition too. The OHV trails facing west and north are wet but the mtb side is dry.

mtbr member
    Question... I went out to Cline Butte a couple weeks ago and found it far too difficult (lots of walking)... I didn't realize there is a less difficult route down the butte... where is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezagm4
    Question... I went out to Cline Butte a couple weeks ago and found it far too difficult (lots of walking)... I didn't realize there is a less difficult route down the butte... where is it?
    There are two routes down. The more difficult one is next to the fence of the Radio/RF site or whatever that is up there. This trail is known as number 2 trail.

The number 1 trail starts a hundred feet or so down the jeep trail from the summit and going towards Redmond. The single track is off to the right and is easy to ride past by accident.

This trail is a bit harder due to a few small drops than the Horse Ridge downhill but is manageable with a cross country bike. Putting the seat down a few inches makes all the difference.
    2 wheels == True