mtbr member

Any good riding in the Hood River area?

I'm town from LA through Friday and was looking to do a ride (or two) in the area and see what Hood River has to offer. I did Sandy Ridge a few months ago and loved it. Let me know if anyone has any easy paced (looking to take lots of pics) rides scheduled this week in the afternoon.
    Vic

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Lots of discussion in a bunch of different threads in this forum. Search "Hood River", "Post Canyon", "Surveyor's Ridge", etc. A recent thread:

Hood River riding 8/10 - 8/11

By the way, if you have not been to Hood River before, you are in for a good time. Great place.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by VTVic View Post
    I'm town from LA through Friday and was looking to do a ride (or two) in the area and see what Hood River has to offer. I did Sandy Ridge a few months ago and loved it. Let me know if anyone has any easy paced (looking to take lots of pics) rides scheduled this week in the afternoon.
    Vic
    Hell yeah! Not quite "in town", but Surveyors Ridge; Knebal Springs; Eight Mile; Gunsight Ridge, are all fantastic.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Vic
    This is like asking if there is any good hiking in Yosemite.
    Suggestion: Google "Hood River mtn biking" or look at the trail reviews section for Hood River on here.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Probably not the most epic time to be here for riding. Post Canyon is pretty dry, bombed out and full of ball bearings. Whoopdee and some of the other private timber land trails are closed due to extreme fire danger. If I were you, I would probably hit some of the trails off 44/surveyors, or possibly make the trek to falls creek area.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Probably not the most epic time to be here for riding. Post Canyon is pretty dry, bombed out and full of ball bearings. Whoopdee and some of the other private timber land trails are closed due to extreme fire danger. If I were you, I would probably hit some of the trails off 44/surveyors, or possibly make the trek to falls creek area.
    I agree in the fact that Post Canyon and "epic" should not be used in the same sentence.

mtbr member
    Ha ha! Thanks guys, just checking to see what the locals recommend. Will definitely look up all the suggestions. Please let me know if anyone is willing to join me on an afternoon ride. I still need to pick up a bike and lid and I'm off work at 1pm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I agree in the fact that Post Canyon and "epic" should not be used in the same sentence.
    What?! If you're a freerider with skills it certainly is epic (qualifying that statement - before the ice storm at least).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Ha ha! Thanks guys, just checking to see what the locals recommend. Will definitely look up all the suggestions. Please let me know if anyone is willing to join me on an afternoon ride. I still need to pick up a bike and lid and I'm off work at 1pm.
    I just moved to Hood River after being in San Diego for 17 years and south OC for a year. When the locals are saying the trails are horrible, they are still fine by SoCal' standards. Go to Dirty Fingers Bike Shop in Hood River and get the lay of the land, they'll point you in the right direction. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    WHAT?! SMT now resides in the HOOD?!!! We have to ride together soon!!!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    WHAT?! SMT now resides in the HOOD?!!! We have to ride together soon!!!
    I think you're mistaking me for another SMT... I ran into this issue in SoCal as well. My handle is from the Surfermag forums. I'm happy to meet up and ride, but apparently the other SMT was legendary. I am legendary in my own right, but just wanted to make sure you're not getting excited for the wrong reasons. PM me if you wanna ride, I'm looking to find some people to shuttle with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    I am legendary in my own right, but just wanted to make sure you're not getting excited for the wrong reasons. PM me if you wanna ride, I'm looking to find some people to shuttle with.
    Right on! Yeah, I should have recognized from the number of posts (I think he had something like 100,000 LOL). Did you guys get the light rain that Portland got the past couple days? Should tack down those trails for some EPIC riding this week! I'll definitely get a hold of you next trip out.

Cheers,

G

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Did you guys get the light rain that Portland got the past couple days? Should tack down those trails for some EPIC riding this week! I'll definitely get a hold of you next trip out.

Cheers,

G
    Friday evening it rained most of the night. Saturday, not so much. Gonna ride today and check it. Its going to get warm again, so I think the trails will be dusty by mid-week. Will let you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "Epic" being relative. Here in SCruz, most of the trails I ride are soft or sandy right now, so I found Post pretty ridable.

Mostly on uphill switchbacks there were soft spots, not fun, but I was out looking to motor around. Bad Motor Scooter, 8 Track, Spaghetti Factory, and Twin Peaks/Boot weren't bad aside from said uphill switch backs. I did a recommended loop on Saturday of about 12mi then just decided to get lost and have fun Sunday, revisiting a few spots.

Depending where you are coming from, one person's "meh" might be another's epic.

I had fun that's for sure, oh, and I partook of much beer. Maybe too much. So tasty.

I like mtn biking, too
    Is the pope Catholic? Love HR.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here is a view of The Dalles fire taken from Post Canyon yesterday afternoon. This was taken BEFORE it got really smokey in town (ash on cars, etc.). This was taken from the top of GP, looking back across the clearcut towards 8 Track. Wonder how this is affecting the FR 44 stuff? The fire is growing and has spread from The Dalles Watershed into the national forest.

Any good riding in the Hood River area?-thedallesfire.jpg

Update: Probably going to want to stay away from at least Knebal and 8 Mile this weekend: 44 Trails Association | Keep Single Track Single

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That's just nuts...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    HR is not the place to ride this weekend. We got some rain last night, but not enough.

From the forest service --

The following major trails are closed:
    * Surveyors Ridge # 688 both south and north trailheads
    * Eightmile Loop #496
    * Knebal Springs # 474
    * Bottle Prairie #455
    * North-South #451
    * Oak Ridge #688A
    * Dog River #675
    * Zig Zag #678

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Last night's rain should leave Falls Creek and Lewis River in fantastic shape for the weekend. I doubt Post Canyon got enough to matter much, but it still has not hit "awful" up there. Just think of it as Dirt Surfing!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I doubt Post Canyon got enough to matter much, but it still has not hit "awful" up there. Just think of it as Dirt Surfing!
    Yeah, it is still very rideable up there, but maybe the worst I have seen it in a few years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    HR is not the place to ride this weekend. We got some rain last night, but not enough.

From the forest service --

The following major trails are closed:
    * Surveyors Ridge # 688 both south and north trailheads
    * Eightmile Loop #496
    * Knebal Springs # 474
    * Bottle Prairie #455
    * North-South #451
    * Oak Ridge #688A
    * Dog River #675
    * Zig Zag #678
    Scary to see how much the fire has spread out over night - I hope those trails and that area will survive. Last weekend I was wondering while riding there what would happen in case of a fire....

I actually wanted to ride Surveyor and High Prairie today - need to change plans now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The FR 44 trails are apparently going to stay closed at least through the holiday weekend. On the plus side, motorcycles and quads are currently banned from the Post Canyon network. So, if you don't mind deep ruts you've got miles and miles of trails in the upper part of the network all to yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks - great suggestion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    At least according to Temira at thegorgeismygym, the FR 44 trails are actually back in business. With rain last night and more rain coming tomorrow, they could be in decent shape this weekend too! You may want to confirm with the ranger station though if you are driving up from Portland . . . .

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    At least according to Temira at thegorgeismygym, the FR 44 trails are actually back in business. With rain last night and more rain coming tomorrow, they could be in decent shape this weekend too! You may want to confirm with the ranger station though if you are driving up from Portland . . . .
    took my dog up to Post Canyon's Family Man and down Seven Streams this evening for a quick assessment of soil conditions after today's rain. Whatever rain fell didn't have much of an impact on the trails. They're still pretty darned dry. Less dusty, nowhere near tacky.