mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Any fun trails near portland?

I'm from out of town in portland for a few days, I have my bike with me. Not looking to venture too far but I realize I probably need to get out of the city for anything. Would love to get in an hour ride after work.

mtbr member
    depends on what you consider "near"...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    around 30 min would be great, but likewise it all depends, if people came on here raving about a trail system an hour and half away id prob go for it.

But unless they're incredible, under an hour would be preferred, like I said I'd prob be trying to go out for an hour ride.

Thanks for any suggestions

Metalheadbikerider
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    around 30 min would be great, but likewise it all depends, if people came on here raving about a trail system an hour and half away id prob go for it.

But unless they're incredible, under an hour would be preferred, like I said I'd prob be trying to go out for an hour ride.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Sandy Ridge is the best choice as it provides a variety of trails and is super easy to navigate. It's about an hour from Portland and is well worth the drive.
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Sandy Ridge is the best choice as it provides a variety of trails and is super easy to navigate. It's about an hour from Portland and is well worth the drive.
    Cheers!
    Awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Sandy ridge is your best bet for ease of navigation (pretty near impossible to get lost there) as Free-agent pointed out.

Could take you longer than an hour to get there depending on where you are coming from and how much traffic you have to deal with.

Post Canyon in Hood River is another option. A little bit further (and most of the same traffic if you're crossing town) and not as easy to navigate, but still worth checking out if you've got the time.

There aren't any other "must do" rides in PDX proper that I'm aware of. Forest Park and Powell Butte are the main "in town" options, but we're not talking world class urban trail systems by any stretch. I guess anything is better than sitting in a hotel room watching TV.

mtbr member
    sandy ridge and stub stewart are the two i would visit

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Stewart is good and I find Forest Park great for base work and climbing the firelane can be a lung burner. I think its much better then people give it credit and we are lucky to have such a park so close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions, Sandy Ridge was freaking awesome, just perfect for my skill level I think, going back this weekend. Forest park is also awesome for being right in the city.