mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Any Fun Flowing Downhill Trails Near HR

I just watched the videos posted on the AM (or was it FR/DH?) forum of a trip to Whistler. I would love to make the drive up to Whistler for a few days of riding but I think I am going to have to wait a few years until me son gets good enough to ride there with me (So I wouldn't feel so bad about leaving my wife with the other two kids for a few days). Until then, I will seek out trails in my neck of the woods to have fun on. I live near Hood River and typically ride Middle School - up and down. It is a fun trail with some small jumps and berms but mostly just single track. Is there any other trails I should be aware of that offer nice flowing lines with fun jumps and table tops? I am not a great rider so I am not looking for stuff that I could get hurt bad on. I really liked the looks of A-Line at Whistler and if I could find something like that within an hour or two I would be in heaven. As far as parks, I know Skibowl has some lift-services terrain but it looks like it would get old quickly. I don't think any other resorts around here have parks. It would be sweet if meadows opened a park but I don't foresee that happening any time soon. Anyway, if there are any trails anyone wants to recommend I am all ears.

Thanks,

Matt

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by snmhanson
    I just watched the videos posted on the AM (or was it FR/DH?) forum of a trip to Whistler. I would love to make the drive up to Whistler for a few days of riding but I think I am going to have to wait a few years until me son gets good enough to ride there with me (So I wouldn't feel so bad about leaving my wife with the other two kids for a few days). Until then, I will seek out trails in my neck of the woods to have fun on. I live near Hood River and typically ride Middle School - up and down. It is a fun trail with some small jumps and berms but mostly just single track. Is there any other trails I should be aware of that offer nice flowing lines with fun jumps and table tops? I am not a great rider so I am not looking for stuff that I could get hurt bad on. I really liked the looks of A-Line at Whistler and if I could find something like that within an hour or two I would be in heaven. As far as parks, I know Skibowl has some lift-services terrain but it looks like it would get old quickly. I don't think any other resorts around here have parks. It would be sweet if meadows opened a park but I don't foresee that happening any time soon. Anyway, if there are any trails anyone wants to recommend I am all ears.

Thanks,

Matt
    You aren't going to find anything in this state that comes even remotely close to a tiny little fraction of how awesome Whistler is. Sorry! If it's any consolation to you, it hurts me to say that even more than it it does for you to read it. Once you've been there, the feeling of repeatedly flowing those trails all day long never leaves your mind. It's a blessing and a curse. Supposedly there are over 200 tables, drops, and berms on a single run taking Freight Train to A-line. I've never counted but it sounds about right.

Have you been to Blackrock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Never been to Blackrock, where is it? I should have been more specific in my OP that I don't expect to find anything near as good as Whistler. I would just like to find a trail that has been built up with some fun jumps and berms and isn't just your everyday single track. I know Post Canyon has quite a bit of man-made stuff but it seems to be all gaps and drops and skinnies which I am not good enough and too old for. I am guessing that there just isn't really anything out there. Just gotta wonder what the potential would be for one of the ski resorts to run a chair during the summer and build a couple of fun downhill runs. I know it opens a whole new can of worms for them but it is pretty-much an unserved market in an area that has more than it's share of bikers. Oh well, I'll have to look forward to hitting Whistler sometime in the next few years.

Matt

banned
    High Prairie/Dog river shuttle is fun. No jumps or table tops but it's downhill.

Let's roll.
    Sounds like you'd love the Banzai run at Blackrock. Blackrock is a freeride area just outside of Falls City, which is just outside of Dallas, which is just outside of Salem.

The higher up you go on the mountain, the more tech it gets, with ladders, drops, wall rides, etc. But Banzai (at least last time I was there) is smooth flowy fun. Lots of berms, some optional kickers (really small). Thing is, it's quite a ways away from HR.

JoeDirt has it right on with Dog River. That's a great run, and it's in your, uh, hood.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Cannonball!
    Whoops in Bend could almost look like a mini A-Line, if you squint your eyes just right!

mtbr member
    Have you tried 3 blind mice up at Post? It has mostly gap jumps and not tables but is a good beginner line none the less.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelovesDirt
    High Prairie/Dog river shuttle is fun. No jumps or table tops but it's downhill.
    would you be willing to give any info on the location, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparking
    would you be willing to give any info on the location, it sounds like a lot of fun.
    It's easy to get to. Just take Hwy 35 south (like you're going to Meadows). The Dog River trail parking lot will be on your left (it's right before a bridge). Drop a car off there. Hop back on 35, still heading towards Meadows, and take a left on Fire Road 44/Brooks Meadow Rd. Drive up the hill and watch for cars parked at a trailhead on your left. This the top of Dog River, and the southern end of Surveyor's Ridge (a really fun ride).

Pick up a map...very worth it, especially considering all the good trails out that way (8 Mile, Knebal, 15-mile creek, etc.).
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    It's easy to get to. Just take Hwy 35 south (like you're going to Meadows). The Dog River trail parking lot will be on your left (it's right before a bridge). Drop a car off there. Hop back on 35, still heading towards Meadows, and take a left on Fire Road 44/Brooks Meadow Rd. Drive up the hill and watch for cars parked at a trailhead on your left. This the top of Dog River, and the southern end of Surveyor's Ridge (a really fun ride).

Pick up a map...very worth it, especially considering all the good trails out that way (8 Mile, Knebal, 15-mile creek, etc.).
    thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy

Keep going past Surveyors trailhead and take the next right heading to High Prairie. 6 miles up a gravel road. Park in the lot by the bathroom. You can link to Lookout Mt. from the jeep road. Take the trail back down to 44 and either ride the road or it's possible to hit singletrack almost all the way back to Surveyors/Dog River TH. Grab a Hood River adventure map from one of the local shop's you'll probably need it for your first ride. We rode High Prairie to Knebal Springs to Surveyors to Dog River on Saturday and were only on pavement for about a mile.
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    Keep going past Surveyors trailhead and take the next right heading to High Prairie. 6 miles up a gravel road. Park in the lot by the bathroom. You can link to Lookout Mt. from the jeep road. Take the trail back down to 44 and either ride the road or it's possible to hit singletrack almost all the way back to Surveyors/Dog River TH. Grab a Hood River adventure map from one of the local shop's you'll probably need it for your first ride. We rode High Prairie to Knebal Springs to Surveyors to Dog River on Saturday and were only on pavement for about a mile.
    Spicoli/JLD have it right w/ regards to the DR shuttle. Kick it up to HP and you'll enjoy more single track-- and it's fine single track, at that, up higher.

As far as the OP's question, Blackrock, as AW_ and SAA have said, seems like a no-brainer if you don't mind pedaling to the top. Bonzai is bermed and flowy.

mtbr member

Talk with the locals

All the resources you need are right in town. Head over to Discover Bikes and pick up an Adventure Maps map of the area. It is a very useful tool for finding the trails and not getting lost. Next, talk to the guys in the local shops, always helpful. Finally get involved with one of the local advocacy/work groups. CAMBA is based essentially out of Hood River and does good work on the trails out here (Not to mention the meetings are held generally at Double Mountain). MTBR is a good resource but when you are talking local...go local for your info. For some decent semi-technical down try Coyote near Syncline or if you don't mind a little climby climb try out Old Mans Pass/Falls Creek, or Nester Peak, on the Washington side. Finally, explore Post Canyon you should be able to push your skill set with what you find out there.

Happy Riding