mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another Road Trip Question

Coming up to do a three day blitz on the McKenzie, Waldo Lake(?), and North Umpqua. Any advice on which portion of the N.Umpqua is best for just one big-f day?

Is Waldo Lake worth the extra drive given that Oakridge is closer. I've done the 'Puff and kinda remember the trails, but which is better for one big day.

Lastly, is the McKenzie doable without a shuttle?

Thanks so much!

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    Coming up to do a three day blitz on the McKenzie, Waldo Lake(?), and North Umpqua. Any advice on which portion of the N.Umpqua is best for just one big-f day?

Is Waldo Lake worth the extra drive given that Oakridge is closer. I've done the 'Puff and kinda remember the trails, but which is better for one big day.

Lastly, is the McKenzie doable without a shuttle?

Thanks so much!
    If you're into big days, just do the McKenzie as an O&B. Bottom to top and back is 54 miles of singletrack bliss.

Waldo is great and you should get it while you can. Plus, there's so much more than just Waldo up there. Especially if you want to get your climb on.

Same thing on the NUT: do an O&B from Toketee through Hot Springs and Dread and Terror up to Lemolo Lake.

mtbr member
    what he said
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yup, the Muesl Man nailed it.

meatier showers
    "Let's don't worry about the mules, let's just load the wagons." --Hoss Cartwright

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I just returned from a trip to my old stomping grounds at the North Umpqua Trail. We went from Lemola Lake down through the Dread and Terror section, then the hot springs sections, and also the Deer Leap segment and Jesse Wright segment. We set it up to leave a rig at the end so we went downriver about 30 miles.

Don't be fooled though, even downriver has a lot of climbs!! This makes about a 5 hour ride, and is lots of fun. The Deer Leap segment going downriver has one spot with a fantastic 3 mile downhill that is a blast. Dread and Terror is rockier and bumpier, and Deer Leap is smoother with some fast and flowing downhills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the info guys, a couple more questions...

MRT...Not getting a shuttle, and the 50 mile out and back may be a bit too much for one day. Would spending two days on the MRT be worth sacrificing a day on the North Umpqua? The idea is that we can always come back another time and spend more than one day on NUT considering the amount of singletrack. What is better given our 3 day riding schedule?

Planning on staying in Eugene and driving up to MRT and Waldo Lake...any smaller towns closer with lodging? Looking for something closer to trail head with beer, food, and motels. Funkier the better.

Lastly, we are from the coast and wondering trail conditions for tires. Running Nanos in back and Captains in front on XC race bikes. Okay or ?

Singletrack Addict
    Two days on the McKenzie would not be worth sacrificing any time spent riding the Waldo Zone.

The answer to your question is Oakridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    Thanks for the info guys, a couple more questions...

MRT...Not getting a shuttle, and the 50 mile out and back may be a bit too much for one day. Would spending two days on the MRT be worth sacrificing a day on the North Umpqua? The idea is that we can always come back another time and spend more than one day on NUT considering the amount of singletrack. What is better given our 3 day riding schedule?

Planning on staying in Eugene and driving up to MRT and Waldo Lake...any smaller towns closer with lodging? Looking for something closer to trail head with beer, food, and motels. Funkier the better.

Lastly, we are from the coast and wondering trail conditions for tires. Running Nanos in back and Captains in front on XC race bikes. Okay or ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree. I wouldn't spend two days on the McKenzie at the expense of riding Waldo or the North Umpqua. As for Oakridge, at the moment you would want to avoid it. There is a huge fire burning in the Middle Fork district, the smoke from which is drifting as far as Eugene. I imagine the air in Oakridge is pretty bad. If you are considering riding there, you might want to check the fire status at:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1894/
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

mtbr member
    If you'd like to do the MRT, starting at Trailbridge and going up to the top and back would only be about 20 miles, and that's, in most people's opinion, the best part of the trail. Do both if you can, but I wouldn't sacrifice Waldo either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks for the info...is the Waldo Lake trail pretty straightforward for finding and riding?

mtbr member
    Yes, it's just a loop around the lake. Bare towards the lake at any trail intersections and you're golden. Waldo Lake is one of the best rides I've done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    To ride Waldo, either start at Shadow Bay and ride clockwise, or start at North Waldo campground and ride counter clockwise. This is because the section of trail between Shadow Bay and North Waldo is the easiest and fastest and you'll appreciate doing it at the end of the ride no matter which direction you ride the loop.
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

mtbr member
    Also, when you go to Waldo, consider taking a cooler of beer with you instead of staying in Oakridge. I quite liked the North Waldo campground. It was a little pricey as I recall ($25?) but still well worth it.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by AllOver
    Yes, it's just a loop around the lake. Bare towards the lake at any trail intersections and you're golden. Waldo Lake is one of the best rides I've done.
    Minor point of clarification. When approaching Shadow Bay (if doing Waldo CCW from N. Waldo CG), don't stay left at the jct immediately south of Shadow Bay. That turn ends at the Shadow Bay boat ramp. Instead, go right (up the hill) to the Betty Lake junction. Go left there and you're golden.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Minor point of clarification. When approaching Shadow Bay (if doing Waldo CCW from N. Waldo CG), don't stay left at the jct immediately south of Shadow Bay. That turn ends at the Shadow Bay boat ramp. Instead, go right (up the hill) to the Betty Lake junction. Go left there and you're golden.

--Sparty
    I should have mentioned that since I asked a question about that in another thread a couple years ago....but it was a couple years ago and I forget things. Look at the bottom of this thread at the post from General Coonskins for further info:

ride this saturday?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for everyone's help, had a great time. This is what we did...

Day 1: Did the McKenzie River trail out and back. ~48 miles @ 6:15 hrs
    Day 2: Waldo Lake...Gold Lake trail to Betty Lake trail to Waldo Lake trail, around Waldo Lake and back to Gold Lake. 32 miles @ 4 hrs
    Day 3: North Umpqua Tioga Segment out and back.30 miles @ 5 hrs. Rained all day long and was much tougher than I imagined.

singletrack bound
    Last Sunday I was heading back from Seattle and pulled off 5 @ 58 and saw the smoke! Change of plans had me jammin down 5 to 138 which put me @ Tokatee lake campgrounds that afternoon. Monday AM the wife shuttled me up to Lemolo lake and I did the Dread and Terror Segment solo...didn't see a soul all day. It was kinda eerie I must say....

meatier showers
    Nice pix.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Nice pix.

--Sparty
    Nice territory you guys have. Some of the most remote singletrack I have prolly ever rode...ya, maybe the time we got dropped off in the middle of Canyonlands National Park and did a 60 miler all the way back to Moab ( Climbing up "Jacobs Ladder" while carrying your bike on your shoulder, near the end of 60mi) was a bit more remote, but Dread & Terror is pretty close.....

Tone.

meatier showers
    With a name like Dread & Terror, it has to be good.

Comin' back for Barbie Camp?
    Spring '06 BC
    Fall '06 BC
    Spring '07 BC -- Lou's Thread
    Spring '07 BC -- Friday
    Spring '07 BC -- Saturday
    Spring '07 BC -- Sunday
    Fall '07 BC
    Spring '08 BC
    Fall '08 BC

Fall Barbie Camp '09 = Oct. 23-25.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    "Day 3: North Umpqua Tioga Segment out and back.30 miles @ 5 hrs. Rained all day long and was much tougher than I imagined."

...So I'm assuming Tioga is ride-able in its entirety? Part of this segment was closed for a few months and due to reopen the end of September... is it all fixed up and good to go now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It was all rideable, except for a couple short dismounts. The middle section seemed like a hiking trail with no signs of recent bike useage. Not buff at all but just the way we like it! There was a guy on a mini excavator constructing a bypass route around a nasty debris slide slope. He informed us that this particular section of the trail was closed, but then smiled and waved us by. His dog followed us out for a while and then also hooked up with us on the way back. Everybody in Oregon was so F-ing cool during our trip. Is Oregon really this cool, or is California really that lame?

meatier showers
    Welcome to Orygun.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.