mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Another Oregon Road Trip

This seems to be a popular topic lately and hopefully the goodwill of the locals hasn't been exhausted already. To keep it short and sweet, I'm heading solo up through Oregon from Norcal and plan on taking my Nomad and V-10. I've roughed out the following itinerary and would be stoked to find some locals to ride with or if folks have suggestions on the itinerary I would like to hear them as well.

8/24: Paradise Royale (in Norcal)
    8/25: Ashland
    8/26: Bend (Whoops trail, The Lair, or the DJs)
    8/27: McKenzie River Trail
    8/28: Black Rock
    8/29: Hood River
    8/30: Hood River

Looking forward to sharing the stoke.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just to warn you, I have rode Paradise Royal at Shelter Cove then drove to Ashland and rode the next day...it makes for a long day.
    Last edited by Jakkarro; 08-19-2009 at 04:35 PM.

it means 'no problem'
    8/26 - ride Dutchman to Town via Flagline, Stumps, Whoops and hit the PL when you get to Phil's TH.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    I went to college at Humboldt State and I would highly recommend that you take 299 East out to the 5 and head north to Ashland that way. There is a trail about 40 minutes east of Arcata in a town called Willow Creek. The trail is called Tish Tang. It's perfect for a Nomad! The climb is long, but you can break it in half and drive up halfway to start where the climb is VERY mellow and almost flat for 8 miles or so. The descending there is steep and rocky and technical up top, leading into flowy singletrack with rooty sections to whoop over, leading to an incredibly fast and flowy singletrack descent.

Call up Adventures Edge in Arcata and they can give you better info that I, I just know the trail by sight. But I am also making an Oregon trip at the end of September... I'm seriously considering Paradise Royal, but at the same time I'm making a mandatory run on Tish Tang as the trail is absolutely incredible fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good Comments

Guys thanks for the input so far.

Jakkarro: I've ridden Arcata then driven to Ashland to ride the next day and that was on the long side - I expect that Shelter Cove to Ashland will be fairly painful - I'll be relying heavily on Red Bull and Rockstar to make that drive.

San Soucie: Thanks for the suggestion - that looks like a sweet route. So you all those trails (flagline, stumps, whoops) can be linked up from Dutchman Flat?

Dudeness: I've heard of Tish Tang - depending on timing I may try to hit that but may days are rapidly filling up!

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'd say definately try to fit it in. It's epic backcountry AM/xc style. Every time I've been there I've seen a black bear running away down the trail, I've never been scared or threatened but its a really cool experience. The climbs are good and peaceful and you get really sweet valley views through the trees. The descents are absolutely incredible. I currently live in the South Bay and have all the awesomeness of Santa Cruz and the entire bay area at my fingertips yet none of the rides have been as memorable as my rides at Tish Tang. I've never ridden Paradise Royal so I can't comment on it but with that said Tish Tang is by far the best riding that I've done up there.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by gslader
    San Soucie: Thanks for the suggestion - that looks like a sweet route. So you all those trails (flagline, stumps, whoops) can be linked up from Dutchman Flat?

Thanks
    Yes, and many others. "Bachelor to Bend" has many meanings.

Enjoy, and safe travels!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's quite an endorsement for Tish Tang! Now I'm thinking I'll hit it at the end of my trip on the drive back down to Norcal.

Anyone interested in shuttling Dutchman Flat next Wednesday or McKenzie River on Thursday?