Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Alsea Falls shuttle day fundraiser, 6/22/2014

The official opening day of the new mountain bike trail system at Alsea Falls is Sunday, June 22nd, 2014, and Team Dirt is putting on a shuttle day from 9am-4pm. $25 per person for the shuttle, $5 for food, $10 for T-shirts, and an optional additional donation for trail funds.

We've been working hard all year on these trails and have a great range of options to open up with. From classic old-school single track with flow (Dutchman) to tight, rooty, technical trail (Highballer) and finally what I think is the best flow trail in Oregon (Springboard). Please come support us and check them out.

Tell your friends, sign up here:
    https://www.bikereg.com/alsea-falls-...rt-shuttle-day

Pasting more details from the signup page:
    Team Dirt and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) are excited to announce the opening of the Alsea Falls Recreation Area Mountain Bike trail system. Over the course of the past year BLM has enlisted the help of 1500 hours of Team Dirt Volunteer hours IMBA, IMBA trail school, IMBA trail solutions, Northwest Youth corp, and BLM staff to produce a world class trail system.

We are currently in Phase 1 of the building process and have accomplished 5.85 miles of singletrack with a 3.5 mile mild grade road climb up 1100 feet. The system has both singletrack and road climb options. The system is best enjoyed on an all mountain hardtail to mid travel full suspension. The steady road climb can be handled on longer travel dh bikes. The overall design of the trail system is to synthesize a grouping of trails that pull the best elements of trails throughout the PNW. This enables riders who enjoy the climbs of Oak Ridge and Mary's Peak along with the flow trails of Sandy Ridge and Blackrock; to have a rewarding experience. This system is built with input and enthusiasm from the riders who are helping to design, build, implement and maintain this wonderful resources. In the next few year the phase 1 goal is to build over 20 miles of beginner to advanced level trails with both singletrack to open flow designed trails.

It is with great pleasure that we can offer the grand opening Team Dirt Fundraiser and shuttle day at 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Early entries will recieve a $5 discount. The intention of this shuttle day is to generate funding for additional trail tools and trail expansion. Our hope to is to raise enough funding in the coming months to purchase a mini excavator to facilitate increase efficiency of building trails in the system.

Team dirt is not responsible for any injury to rider during the event and we will have medical personnel on hand to help with triage to professional medical care facility. We have a emergency repeater radio to interact with emergency personnel.

Thanks for showing an interest in our trail system and please help by donating additional time or money to Team Dirt and our trail building movement.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    what I think is the best flow trail in Oregon (Springboard).
    That gets my attention.

What does a shuttle day mean to team dirt? (Self shuttle? Shuttles provided? Etc.) Sounds like fun.

mtbr member
    I'm actually hoping the new segment being worked on right now (2nd half of Highballer to cross over and replace the old Coyote trail) is opened by then and is even better than Springboard.

Shuttles will drive you to the top of Highballer and you ride down it and Springboard and then to the gate, then back up for more. There are some climbs on the trails themselves. Dutchman won't be shuttled but it will be open to riding. It peaks on a different ridge at a lower elevation than the top of Springboard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are there any trail maps available? Any idea when they will come out if not? I helped out one day on Highballer, so I know that one, Coyote, and Springbaord. Not familar with Dutchman tough. Would be cool to have a map.

mtbr member
    EDIT - Official map should be forthcoming from BLM soon. Sorry!

By the way, if you want to ride it earlier than the official opening and shuttle day, you can register for the race until Thursday of this week:
    Alsea Falls XC - Mudslinger Events - Oregon Outdoor Recreation

Obviously if you don't want to shuttle you can just show up and pedal to the top and ride. I recommend though getting the shuttles up to the top of Highballer and then doing the separate climbs to the top of Dutchman for variety. That plus Highballer and Springboard will work you out fine, don't worry.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 06-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I'm holding off on registering for now. Possible scheduling conflicts. I just watched the video of Springboard on the Mudslinger website linked above. Looks like fun. From my place its actually a bit closer to Blackrock, but I am looking for some more variety.

mtbr member
    Official map is now up. Get it here:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...p_june2014.pdf

Don't miss out. There's 1 week left to get registered for $25, then the price goes up to $30. There is no shuttle registration on the day of the event. Please sign up, come check out the trail system, and help us get some needed funds for gear, tools, and equipment.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Springboard is awesome! It is better than Flow Motion or any other local PDX machine built trail Exciting work going on up there. Could use another rain to firm it back up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Springboard is awesome! It is better than Flow Motion or any other local PDX machine built trail Exciting work going on up there. Could use another rain to firm it back up.
    Definitely need more rain for our last couple weeks of building before opening day. Never thought I"d be wishing for rain this time of year, but it is needed.

Springboard is super fun, but I like the section above it that is just being completed a whole lot more. A little more opportunity for getting air under your wheels (nothing huge) if that is your thing.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Looking at the map, what is the little "planned" section that parallels springboard at the very bottom, almost to the trailhead?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Looking at the map, what is the little "planned" section that parallels springboard at the very bottom, almost to the trailhead?
    My understanding is that will be another machine built section similar to springboard. It will bypass the segment of old road that springboard dumps onto now. I think it is already flagged and is on the books for buildout this fall.

Dont recall if that segment gets its own name or whether it will be considered part of springboard.

mtbr member
    Yes, both that unnamed (Planned) section below where Springboard and Dutchman intersect as well as Mainline are for later. I don't know the schedule but what twd953 posted sounds about right.

I'm noticing that Dutchman isn't labelled. It's the orange-marked trail with green difficulty to the left (south) of Springboard on the map (note that north is to the right, not up). The shuttles will do the Fall Creek Rd climb.

Climbing Dutchman from the bottom of Springboard and then turning back around to descend would be another fun option for variety on the shuttle day. Or once the trails are open on the 22nd you can also make laps out of climbing Dutchman then transitioning past Bailout and descending Springboard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Official map is now up. Get it here:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...p_june2014.pdf

Don't miss out. There's 1 week left to get registered for $25, then the price goes up to $30. There is no shuttle registration on the day of the event. Please sign up, come check out the trail system, and help us get some needed funds for gear, tools, and equipment.
    Thanks for the link to map. I watched Ripley's video of Springboard recently and trail looks like a blast and good work going on down there. I hope to make it if I can spring myself free from the family that weekend.
    Ride On!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Definitely need more rain for our last couple weeks of building before opening day. Never thought I"d be wishing for rain this time of year, but it is needed.
    I don't see much rain in the (fairly unreliable) forecast. I hope the shuttle day doesn't trash the trails too badly. I've seen trails get punished badly enough by race days that they didn't recover until after the next build season. Of course, getting a mini excavator would be well worth it.

Tactical Nightmare
    Please guys and gals, tell your friends and get your family out there, as this is a really great scene happening out at Alsea Falls! These trails are amazing and are so much fun to ride! The shuttle day will be a blast not only for the riding, but getting to meet a bunch of other local riders, eat good grub, and just train after train of riders coming off the trails looking for the shuttle back up.

I keep saying it, but we really have something special going on out there, and the trails will speak for themselves. Come out and give it a shot!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    I talked with our trail coordinator last night. Sounds like lower Highballer is going to be pretty awesome. We definitely need that rain today. Hoping it will help.

Article yesterday in the Oregonian about the new system:
    Alsea Falls in Oregon Coast Range gets new BLM mountain bike trail system | OregonLive.com

And here's a blurb from IMBA from last month's official build day doing finish work on the very start of the lower section of Highballer:
    https://www.imba.com/node/4389

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    We are going up to ride those sweet trails. They are amazing!

mtbr member
    One last reminder from me to sign up!

We have our final build day on Saturday, 6/21/2014 if you can't make Sunday and want to come help. Check the other thread here.

Alsea Falls shuttle day fundraiser, 6/22/2014-10449972_10203380833137744_1752677330297369551_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oh, also the price is being kept down at $25 even though it's after the 16th. Please sign up!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Getting excited. Builders got the rain they wanted (I'm assuming. We got quite a bit of rain in my area) and the weather forecast looks nearly perfect!

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Getting excited. Builders got the rain they wanted (I'm assuming. We got quite a bit of rain in my area) and the weather forecast looks nearly perfect!
    Totally thrasher_s! I rode Mary's Peak on Sunday and it was raining pretty good there, so I had to assume they got some of the needed rain out at Alsea Falls too. We may get some reports today or tomorrow, as there is a crew (Edub!) out there Wednesday through Friday doing the finish work and getting it ready for this weekend, then the last official build day on Saturday.

Here is some more stoke for this weekend:

New stepdown hip jump into new berm on upper highballer just in time for the shuttle day

Top view of hip step down into new berm lead in into gnome berm
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    We are going to keep the price down to $25 all week and registration closes friday afternoon. If you have any questions, give me a holler at eric@teamdirt.org The rains last week is shaping up to be prime conditions. Thanks for your support

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A friend and I are coming down from the Portland area. I did Alsea Falls XC race this year and raved about it to folks up here. It is going to be a great day. Should I bring a bike that can get hacked on a bit when being shuttled to the top? Thanks, guys!

mtbr member
    I think your bike will be fine. Team Dirt is still working on the particulars (based on how many sign up) but the planned setup for shuttling was to look something like this (photo is from a Blackrock shuttle day 4 years ago):

Alsea Falls shuttle day fundraiser, 6/22/2014-36425978_640.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast