Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alsea Falls

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Alsea Falls

Anyone ever ride the Alsea Falls trail system? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well... it looks like this isn't a high traffic area. But I checked it out today. It was pretty cool for the scenery and the workout. Lots of fire roads, but not so much single track. There is a couple of shorter single tracks that were pretty fun but I would like to see more to make it worth my while. I read that Team Dirt is doing a trail build up there in May. The area has tons of potential. Here is a link to their website if you’re interested. There is a three hour trail building class and then some actual trail building time. Enjoy...TeamDirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Our State XC race is on those trails. Some very steep climbs with some fun single track. The area has great potential, Mike Ripley and Team Dirt are doing an awesome job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    [Interesting. What is the State XC race? It would be nice if there was a singletrack trail from the top to the bottom. I always feel that after earning some turns I have a earned a nice single track ride down. Don't get wrong. The ones that are there are fun, just too short.] Our State XC race is on those trails. Some very steep climbs with some fun single track. The area has great potential, Mike Ripley and Team Dirt are doing an awesome job.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    State XC is the Oregon state championships for MTB. Although, this year it looks like that race is at a different venue.

Alsea Falls Switchback XC 6/15/2013 | Mudslinger Events - Oregon Outdoor Recreation

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I did the Alsea Falls 6 Hour last year. It was a lot of gravel riding but some good singletrack. Mike Ripley, Mudslinger owner, was saying they are going to deem it an IMBA trail system with new trails. The only downside is it is a bit of a drive from Portland. I will be curious to see if there are new trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the info. I think the area is great and there appears to be a lot of rock under the soil for good drainage. Are they still planning on building more trails out there since the race venue has changed? Where is the new venue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Guys,

I don't post much on MTBR, tend to lurk around and thought I would chime in on this topic because Alsea Falls is an important trail network to me personally.

Alsea Falls trail area has four main trails currently open to MTB, there is a map of the area at the parking near the Alsea Falls Campground and I believe you can find one on-line. I'll have to keep looking for that map and post the link when I find it.

The BLM, Team Dirt and others are actively working to improve the area and expand the trail net work system.

I am personally involved in Team Dirt (TeamDirt). Team Dirt, though most people think of us as a local racing team, is the Corvallis/Benton County IMBA Chapter. We have focused most of our work to date in the Mac Forrest, Blodgett and Alsea Falls area.

We are extremely lucky to have the IMBA Trail care crew coming this month to host a trail building school coming up on May 17-19, 2013 out at Alsea Falls.

Please visit https://www.imba.com/civicrm/event/info?id=299&reset=1 to register for this event.

The current plan with BLM is to develop about 10 miles of new trails over the next year. With expansion continued to more than 20+ miles of MTB trails with an improved campground, and multi-purpose trails. This proposed trail network has been developed in conjunction with IMBA, and other user groups.

I ride there often and would welcome anyone to join me for a tour of the short set of trails we have now. The complete loop can be done in about an hour at a casual pace.

Please bookmark the Team Dirt website and contact us if you have any specific questions, want to be involved in the next trail work party or just want to ride your bike.

Thanks

Justin P.

mtbr member
    The area has huge potential, there was a good start years ago on building trails out there but it fizzled and the trails got overgrown. Corvallis needs more legal singletrack and this is a great spot for it but the local MTB community is really going to have to commit to using it or it'll just fizzle again. The "Why would I go anywhere but Mac Forest" attitude in Corvallis is hard to overcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any updates on new trails at Alsea Falls? I heard dirt is getting moved around there.

mtbr member
    I'm not working those trails (though I want to get out there to help) but I do hear things around town. Here's a little tidbit:

New Trails Under Construction Near Corvallis, Oregon | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Trails are being worked on but not open/rideable yet. Team Dirt (local IMBA chapter) is supposed to be doing some official build days in the fall. I think the machine work (see the photo in the link) is being done by BLM. The 2014 race in Alsea Falls is later in 2014 than it was in 2013, so I am hoping the new trails will be open by then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks this is great news!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Has anyone been up to Alsea Falls recently? I'm thinking of taking my son up there on Black Friday and with the dry weather we've had lately I assume the trail conditions will be fine. I was planning to ride some of the previously existing trails (Coyote Canyon, Stellar Jay).

I notice the BLM site says that the Alsea Falls picnic area closed Oct 31. I wonder if this closure applies to the trail system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Road there this past weekend and had an awesome time. Trails that you mentioned are in great shape for November.

There are a few new sections of trails that are under construction and have been noted at the entrance. Please respect the ongoing work there and the efforts being made by the BLM and Team Dirt the local IMBA chapter.

I'm likely to be riding that Friday as well. Hope to see you out there.

Justin P
    Last edited by jrpdesign; 11-25-2013 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Will do, thanks for the info Justin!

-Keith

mtbr member
    I was able to get out there this weekend, and hike around the new trails. Looks like some really great stuff going in. I've been able to see the proposed trail map also. It looks like it's going to be a great area when it is completed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wasn't this same area used for the 2010 XC champs too? I did that race, and I remember a LOT of road riding (including the really steep climb), and some very freshly cut single track (like 8 inches of loose dirt). I remember thinking that the place had great potential.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, the 2010 XC Champ was there. There was also a 6hr race there one year. Last year there was a XC race on the trails and I believe there will be another in 2014.

Justin

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow! It has been a little while since I have have read this thread. This news is very exciting. I can't wait 'till the new trails or sections of trail will be open. Does anyone have an idea what the proposed time line is for the trail system?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    We hope to have them opened by Spring. Of Course that will depend on the weather and number of trail work days we are able to get in.

Check the Teamdirt.org website for latest information.

Justin

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I looked on the their website yesterday and didn't see any info but I am not sure if I know have to navigate their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpdesign View Post
    We hope to have them opened by Spring. Of Course that will depend on the weather and number of trail work days we are able to get in.

Check the Teamdirt.org website for latest information.

Justin
    Justin,

Bell and IMBA announced they will be doing the "Bell-Built" trail grants again next year. Any idea if this is on Team Dirt's radar for Alsea falls?

Bell Helmets Announces this Year's 'Bell Built' Winners - Vows to Bring Back the Contest for 2014 - Pinkbike

From the PB article:

"Starting in January and running through the end of February, Bell Helmets and IMBA will begin taking applications for 2014 trails, with finalists named during the first week of March"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the Info on the Bell Helmet news. It wasn't on our radar.

I'll bring it up at the next board meeting.

Justin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    I looked on the their website yesterday and didn't see any info but I am not sure if I know have to navigate their website.
    The Team Dirt calendar currently has a trail building day out there on 1/11/2014, if you'd like to help out.
    Calendar | TeamDirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's sweet, we need to get in this with the blm
    Jump start the spring

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast