Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alsea Falls

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode the trails last night. Amazing! Fell in love with Lower Highballer. Itís a self guided aerial tour. So much fun, even for riders like me without a lot of jumping experience. I think a single-track trail option for climbing up instead of the paved road would be a super cool addition.

mtbr member
    There is talk about more climbing options in the future. Right now you can climb Dutchman and transition from there to the top of Springboard. That's not too bad and a fun way to get extra descents of Springboard.

To get to the very top, the only alternative to the paved road is to climb beyond that on a combo of Bailout and well, pretty steep and rutty and loose gravel to the top. I prefer the paved road for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think I can speak for all the builders when I say that seeing all the photos and posts of people having a blast on these trails makes all the hard labor worth it. Well....that and getting to ride something you helped build is super rewarding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    I think a single-track trail option for climbing up instead of the paved road would be a super cool addition.
    Totally agree with this. As mentioned, you can climb Dutchman and bailout, but then you've got steep gravel road to get up to the top of Highballer. Problem is that Highballer runs down a ridge line with steep steep terrain on either side. Not sure how do-able the route will be, but I've been pouring over the maps and I know others have been also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If I was designing a trail, which I am not, I would have the trail parallel the paved road just at varying degrees of steepness. It could climb and descend and climb again and end up near the top of Highballer. Maybe have some creek crossings and some techy spots like some rock gardens and roots. Of course also I think they should have old man with a long beard handing out beers at the top of the climb.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am a singletrack lover but Springboard is an unique trail. It feels more like a pump track than a mountain bike trail. Fun. Worth a weekend trip to camp up there and ride. Great group of guys at the shuttle day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One thing I can say is, that there won't likely be any rock gardens for one reason. There are no rocks! You generally don't see any rocks in this part of the coast range much below 2,000 ft. Highballer tops out at about 1860 ft. You can see some rock faces on the upslope of the paved climb where they benched out the road, but you probably have to dig down 5 to 10 feet to find rock. We just need to build a rock quarry I guess.

We're going to be doing some scouting trips this summer to spy out some good routes and see what the terrain has to offer for some more advanced trails. Never know what we'll find.

Creek crossings are probably a no-go unless we can find the rock to armor the crossing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rode out there today and will claim hands down best overall purpose built flow trail in the state. Other places have sections that might be more exciting, but this place just keeps on giving. The lower section is screaming fast no peddle no brakes. When the place has a chance to pack in and dry out a bit it will be nuts. I was in Whistler last week and it's fair to say this trail rides like a mini version of crank it up or maybe parts of A Line minus the death defying speed. Add a couple more trails out there and with the camp ground it will be a full destination. Huge applause for the trails builders, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the next trail construction is scheduled to begin?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the next trail construction is scheduled to begin?
    Fall/early winter when conditions are better for messing around with soil/dirt.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is Anchor Line a road or a trail. By the way, conditions Saturday were spot on after that last rain.

mtbr member
    Heads up that there will be a couple trail runs at Alsea Falls next weekend. They will use all the trails (Highballer, Springboard, Dutchman, Bailout) on Sunday, so I would plan to ride Saturday.

On Saturday 8/9 there is a night race and on Sunday 8/10 there is a 10K and 20K. The Sunday races start at 9am and 9:30am. Link to a map here:

http://oregontrailruns.com/files/201...pringfling.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Heads up that there will be a couple trail runs at Alsea Falls next weekend. They will use all the trails (Highballer, Springboard, Dutchman, Bailout) on Sunday, so I would plan to ride Saturday.

On Saturday 8/9 there is a night race and on Sunday 8/10 there is a 10K and 20K. The Sunday races start at 9am and 9:30am. Link to a map here:

http://oregontrailruns.com/files/201...pringfling.png
    Thanks for the heads up Tim and glad I made it down there today, along with Mary's on the way home! 4hrs of ride time for 5,000 ft of total gain and loss over 26.5 miles. I am pleasantly parched.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Took my 11 year old son to Alsea Falls for our first time on Saturday. While he was not a fan of climbing up the road, he was all smiles when he hit the first berms and rollers, yelling all the way down about how much fun it was. Great work on that trail system.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Another heads-up, there will be a women-only no-drop group ride and Giant demo day put on by Bike'N'Hike Corvallis, on Tuesday August 12th. Road bikes and mountain bikes will be available. Call the shop if you'd like to reserve a bike (541) 753-2912.

Additionally, a coed Giant demo day on Sunday, August 17th, also at Alsea Falls. I don't have any details yet on that but if you're interested, call the shop (above).

Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    Took my 11 year old son to Alsea Falls for our first time on Saturday.
    I remember the two of you up on the climb and at the top of Highballer. So glad he had fun on the way down the trails.

Tactical Nightmare
    Demo day at Alsea Falls this weekend. Actually, tonight is the women's only demo, with the co-ed on Sunday. Here are some details:

- "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

Old fast guy
    Jan 2007
    I have been enjoying this trail this season, I have ridden it 4 times now once solo which took me 40 min , The rest have been with my 6 & 8yr boys and the wife. the kids hate the climb which takes an hour and half with a mix of riding and waking the paved road. but they love the ride down screaming "this is the best ride ever!!"

I must say that Springboard is my favorite part.

Kudos to all those who put the time in to build this network
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ love all things called bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm heading to ride springboard and HighBaller tonight for the first time. Is there a link or could somebody give me good directions from Corvallis to the trailhead and beyond.

Tactical Nightmare
    The way I go, which is pretty fast from Corvallis, is to go 99W to Alpine Rd., turn right on Alpine (west) and stay on that road through the town of Alpine. Right after Alpine, the road will veer left and there is even a sign that points you left that says Alsea Falls. Stay on that road for another few miles and you will eventually see the campground on your right hand side, and Fall Creek Rd will be on your left, just after the campground. Turn on it, and the trailhead and signs will be right there, about 150 yards down Fall Creek Rd.

Here are the directions from the BLM site:

Alsea Falls Trail System Details Oregon/Washington BLM

Directions:

East access: From Corvallis, take Hwy 99W south 15 miles. Turn west on Alpine Road and drive to the town of Alpine. Continue along Alpine Road 9 miles to Alsea Falls Campground. Just past campground, turn right on Fall Creek Road.

West access: travel Hwy 34 south from Philomath to the town Alsea. Turn south, travel on Alsea Deadwood Hwy 1 mile to the South Fork Road which then connects with the South Fork Alsea Access Road. Just past the Alsea Falls picnic area, turn right on paved Fall Creek Road.
    I hope this helps! Have fun on the trails! Let us know your feedback afterward too! Also, we will be starting up build days again this fall, so if you are interested in helping build and make this place even better than it is, check out TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.. Enjoy! Tell the gnomes I'll see them Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    The way I go, which is pretty fast from Corvallis, is to go 99W to Alpine Rd., turn right on Alpine (west) and stay on that road through the town of Alpine. Right after Alpine, the road will veer left and there is even a sign that points you left that says Alsea Falls. Stay on that road for another few miles and you will eventually see the campground on your right hand side, and Fall Creek Rd will be on your left, just after the campground. Turn on it, and the trailhead and signs will be right there, about 150 yards down Fall Creek Rd.

Here are the directions from the BLM site:

I hope this helps! Have fun on the trails! Let us know your feedback afterward too! Also, we will be starting up build days again this fall, so if you are interested in helping build and make this place even better than it is, check out TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.. Enjoy! Tell the gnomes I'll see them Sunday!
    Thanks for the info. We had a great time on some terrific trails. Talk about a lot of bang for your buck, that climb was not bad at all. It was the first time I was more tired on the downhill then the uphill. That's a good problem to have.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by hobdog31 View Post
    Thanks for the info. We had a great time on some terrific trails. Talk about a lot of bang for your buck, that climb was not bad at all. It was the first time I was more tired on the downhill then the uphill. That's a good problem to have.
    Awesome to hear that you enjoyed the trails! I don't mind the climb either, and like you, it is the ripping downhill that wipes me out! So much flow and pumping! Most of Springboard you don't even have to pedal or brake!

mtbr member
    Saw two bears above the trail yesterday (Sunday) as I rolled onto the bridge before the climb on Springboard. Hooted and clapped and yelled at them and they went up over the Dutchman ridge.

Tactical Nightmare
    Saw two bears above the trail yesterday (Sunday) as I rolled onto the bridge before the climb on Springboard. Hooted and clapped and yelled at them and they went up over the Dutchman ridge.
    Wow! I wondered if that would occur at some point, as those woods are prime bear habitat. So, were they shredding Springboard too, just taking a lunch break, and you didn't have enough meat on your bones for them?

mtbr member
    Two big events for Alsea Falls coming up this month.

First is the Fall 2014 FUNdraiser and Shuttle weekend, both Saturday 9/20 and Sunday 9/21. Signup deadline is 9/18 and early registration gets you a discount. Limited camping options are available as well.

Second is the first build day of the season, on Saturday 9/27.

Get the details about the event here:
    Alsea Falls, Team Dirt, Fall 2014 FUNdraiser and Shuttleday | TeamDirt

Alsea Falls Trail System details here, including the official map:

You can also see some details about the trails on MTBproject (or just read the previous posts in this thread):
    Alsea Falls - High Baller and Springboard Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Harrisburg, OR

And here's the writeup from Nate Dogg on opening day and our previous shuttle fundraiser:
    Wheels & Water: Alsea Falls Trail System, OR (Opening Day, 6.22.2014)

Tactical Nightmare
    Thanks for posting this TB! This is going to be a great weekend of shuttling bikes and ripping trails! FUNdraiser is the right name here......the priority is having fun, and the secondary reason for this event is to raise funds to build more trails like these! Support Team Dirt!
    Two big events for Alsea Falls coming up this month.

First is the Fall 2014 FUNdraiser and Shuttle weekend, both Saturday 9/20 and Sunday 9/21. Signup deadline is 9/18 and early registration gets you a discount. Limited camping options are available as well.

Second is the first build day of the season, on Saturday 9/27.

Get the details about the event here:
    Alsea Falls, Team Dirt, Fall 2014 FUNdraiser and Shuttleday | TeamDirt

Alsea Falls Trail System details here, including the official map:

You can also see some details about the trails on MTBproject (or just read the previous posts in this thread):
    Alsea Falls - High Baller and Springboard Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Harrisburg, OR

And here's the writeup from Nate Dogg on opening day and our previous shuttle fundraiser:
    Wheels & Water: Alsea Falls Trail System, OR (Opening Day, 6.22.2014)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast