Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alsea Falls

Tactical Nightmare
    Another awesome build day completed out at the Alsea Falls project this last weekend, and again I come away with the thought that this is becoming a special place in our area. The trails themselves are amazing and so well built and designed, and that of course is at the basis of the special feeling I am having. But beyond that, having a crew of over 30 people working together toward the common goal of quality, local trails, that itself is what really puts it over the top.

Even with the recent frustration of damage from equestrian use on these trails that are CURRENTLY CLOSED TO ALL USERS, the group just rallied and got to work to fix the damage and move on, keeping the focus on the end goal of awesome trails.

If you haven't been to a build day at Alsea Falls, you really owe it to yourself to get out there and check it out by helping build for a day. It really is a cool feeling to ride a trail that you help build, especially a trail as good as what Alsea Falls will have!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ditto! That was my first ever trail building day, and certainly not the last. It was hard work but well worth it. The new trails are shaping up beautifully!

Tactical Nightmare
    Nice Undies! You're right, it is hard work, but a lot of fun, and cool to take that walk back up the trail at the end of the day and be blown away at how much different it is from that same morning. Glad you had fun, and next time us forum dudes will have to say hey to each other. I was the guy checking/signing people in with coffee. Yes, all the dang paperwork. Anyways, I'm sure we'll see each other out there again soon!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Even with the recent frustration of damage from equestrian use on these trails that are CURRENTLY CLOSED TO ALL USERS,
    Can you elaborate on the damage? Is it documented?

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Can you elaborate on the damage? Is it documented?
    You know, I never saw the damage myself, just talked to people that did see it and the guys that repaired it. From what I understand, and maybe someone that saw it can clarify, but it was holes punched into the soft berm and rollers in soft soil that hasn't set yet, plus they rode when it was raining pretty good too. Again, I didn't see it myself though. As far as documented, I think it was documented in that our trail coordinators inspected it, and the main guy from BLM knew about it as well and was pretty disappointed by it. It did prompt new signs to go up, stating the reminder that these trails are closed to all users, and hopefully that will help in the future until it officially opens.

But again, the good part was the focus to fix it and move on and keep this project moving forward in a positive way.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Glad the BLM knows that mountain bikers are fixing damage done by other trail users. Good Karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just so everyone is aware, the horse damage was significant, but comes with the territory unfortunately. There is a long history of equestrian usage on this system and we have worked with BLM to get more signage and will be constructing chicane type fencing to limit access from our biking zone and allow easy passage for bikes.

A group of us will be out this saturday and Sunday at 9am at the orage gate. If you are interested in this weekend or work parties in general contact me at eric@teamdirt.org .

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Document, document, document.
    Pictures, #manhours to fix, etc.

Hopefully there won't ever be a fight about it, but it's better to be armed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thrasher_s we're on it and work closely with the BLM. We had not yet tuned the lower section, so it wasn't as much of a disappointment to me as it could have been. Moving forward together withe agencies support and our patience is the best method of approach. We have pictures, man hours, etc documented. We are by the book and moving on. Time to build a successful trail system and this is just one small bump in the trail for me.

Again, we will be out at the trails on Saturday and Sunday this weekend (4-26/27) at 9am at the orange gate. We would really appreciate a strong showing by individuals interested in riding this system in June when we open.

Thanks for the interest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A group of us will be out this sunday, mothers day at 9am at the orange gate. It would be great to have some old friends and new faces join us!

****If you plan on coming please email at eric@teamdirt.org, due to low interest we may not hold this date but will likely be out there during the day****
    Last edited by edub; 05-08-2014 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Please sign up (or send an email to our trail coordinator at the address below) for the trail build day this Saturday, 5-17-2014, and help us get started on a new section of trail. We'll be working with IMBA Trail Solutions.

Note that there won't be a lunch for this build day, so be sure to bring your own food and water.

Details:

Meet at Stellar J trailhead directly across from day-use area at orange gate on fall creek access road. I will provide a link to directions in the comments below !! Come show us and BLM how much a trail system like this means to everyone and how effective we can be as a group.

Jason Wells, from IMBA trail solutions will assist during this build day and can help add insight to how the new trail layout will be done.

We have free Team Dirt/BLM trail volunteer t-shirts to volunteers who come to two official or unofficial trail days in the 2014 season. This and previous events will count toward your free shirt.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Trail work will officially end at 1pm, we do not have lunch provided at this buildday.

Afterwards we will have a social ride depending on trail and weather conditions.

Contact team dirt advocacy and trail coordinator board member, Eric at eric@teamdirt.org if you have any questions

mtbr member
    Bump! Come help us with a new trail segment linking Highballer and Springboard. We've got a little over a month before the official opening and want to get it all as tuned and ready to flow as possible. Thanks!

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Bump! Come help us with a new trail segment linking Highballer and Springboard. We've got a little over a month before the official opening and want to get it all as tuned and ready to flow as possible. Thanks!
    Woot tbmaddux!!! Looking forward to it! This place is coming together so nicely and the opening in June will be sweet! Truly, a destination riding spot for families! Killer trails, a nice campground, the falls, hiking trails, and just a beautiful location! Get out there!

mtbr member
    Last build day of the season is this Saturday, 6/21/2014. Details are here at Team Dirt.

The BLM has more information about the Alsea Falls Trail System, including the official map.

Also, the official opening day is Sunday, 6/22/2014. Information about that and the Team Dirt shuttle day fundraiser is at this MTBR thread. And finally if you're curious, BLM posted last week about the opening day and the trails over at the DoD forums.

Tactical Nightmare
    Nice post tb!!!! I'll follow it up with a bit more good press from The Oregonian's website, OregonLive.com. This is a great article about the trails as well. Just a little more stoke heading toward our weekend of building and then the Grand Opening of these killer trails on 6/22/14 and the shuttle day! Come on out everyone!

Alsea Falls in Oregon Coast Range gets new BLM mountain bike trail system | OregonLive.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, GC. Here's more info about the build day:
    This saturday is our last official build day before the shuttle day/grand opening/ fundraiser on sunday. We will doing final prep work and really putting the fun into the trails for the season. If you haven't come out please join us for some fun. We will ride after the buildday also.

Meet at Stellar J trailhead directly across from day-use area at orange gate on fall creek access road. I will provide a link to directions in the comments below !! Come show us and BLM how much a trail system like this means to everyone and how effective we can be as a group.

We have free Team Dirt/BLM trail volunteer t-shirts to volunteers who come to two official or unofficial trail days in the 2014 season. This and previous events will count toward your free shirt.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Trail work will officially end at 1:30pm, we do not have lunch provided at this buildday.

Contact team dirt advocacy and trail coordinator board member, Eric at eric@teamdirt.org if you have any questions

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How was the turnout at Alsea?

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    How was the turnout at Alsea?
    I'm biased in my opinion here (part of Team Dirt) but I would say it was an incredible turn out! We had about 75 riders with two UHauls running all day, the BBQ going, tunes playing, and so many smiles on riders faces. It had a mini-festival atmosphere and we rasied some funds for further trail development in that area. KVAL News had a story on it actually too:

Alsea Falls opens to mountain bikers: 'This is a community trail system' | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

All in all, I really think it was a massive success. Thanks to the riders who came out, the volunteers who kept it running, and keep an eye out for a possible shuttle day in September.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I'm biased in my opinion here (part of Team Dirt) but I would say it was an incredible turn out! We had about 75 riders with two UHauls running all day, the BBQ going, tunes playing, and so many smiles on riders faces. It had a mini-festival atmosphere and we rasied some funds for further trail development in that area. KVAL News had a story on it actually too:

Alsea Falls opens to mountain bikers: 'This is a community trail system' | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

All in all, I really think it was a massive success. Thanks to the riders who came out, the volunteers who kept it running, and keep an eye out for a possible shuttle day in September.
    Great event and great trails! Thanks to all the volunteers and trail stewards who put this on and all the dedication to such an awesome trail system that will only get better with time. Big shout out to the drivers and Michelle (EMT services) for tending to my wounds and allowing me to get back on trail before the day was done.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Not only great to meet you out there jgusta, but also appreciated you taking the time to say hi and make that connection between this forum and face-to-face.

Hope you bounce back to 100% from that wreck soon. Highballer took out 4 people that I was aware of that day, although I saw some other ruts and evidence of crashes (including a 3in sapling taken down hard by someone or something on Springboard) as the day went on.

EDIT - Here's jgusta pinning a turn on Highballer. Photo by Nate Dogg.

Alsea Falls-10474737_10202627268777657_1788546210552137895_n.jpg

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    At least Jon's wheels are on the ground. Great event! I ended up doing some climbing to avoid the motion sickness but still had a great day.

Tactical Nightmare
    Now I know who you guys are! Thanks TB! I was the guy working/volunteering in the morning, but riding the silver Giant Trance 27.5 in the afternoon. Good to meet you all, and thank you for coming out! Hey jgusta, get well man, and get back out there!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I don't know if the shuttle day was financially a success or not, but it was definitely a good time.
    Funny to see myself in the video from the news website, of course I wasn't doing anything interesting.
    Fun trails. I would love to see some LIGHT free ride elements tossed in. Blackrock goes from fun beginner to dangerous black diamond trails with little in between. In my opinion progression is key.

mtbr member
    Snap, thanks Nate D for the shot, just wish I kept tongue in my mouth.

At urgent care getting X-rays as I write this to rule out a crack in my hip since I heard a crack upon impact (thought is my cheap Chinese carbon front wheel that made that noise initially). Trails were a blast, but walking out upper Highballer with bumm hip was no bueno to say the least. Hope to see you guys for the next event, if not before. Cheers, Jon.
    Ride On!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode there today and loved both Highballer and Springboard. Great flow and the banked turns are perfect! Those trails are the real deal. It's obvious how much work went into them. Such a fantastic addition to the mid-valley. Been home for 5 hours and I'm still smiling.

A HUGE THANK YOU to everybody who had anything to do with making those sections a reality! Amazing stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast