Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alsea Falls

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Went to Alsea Falls yesterday. After riding down Highballer and Springboard, I decided to go down Highballer again then cut over to Bailout and Dutchman and ride down them. Those are fun trails too. Iv'e gone up them before, but this was my first time going down. I thought it was definitely worth it just to mix things up a bit.

I noticed there is a little bit of construction off of Bailout. Anyone know the plans for this addition?

mtbr member
    Bailout is getting some rerouting to make it more sustainable and fun. The youth crews got started on that late last build season.

I like that trail but I despise the steep pitch of road above it.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    South Fork Alsea Byway Intermittent Closures during September

The South Fork Alsea Backcountry Byway, which connects the towns of Monroe and Alsea, will be closed to traffic intermittently during the month of September. These closures are needed to replace a number of failing culverts along the road.

September 8-12: The road between the town of Alsea and Alsea Falls Recreation Site will be closed. Visitors to the Alsea Falls Recreation Area can access the area via the South Fork Byway Road through Alpine. The road will reopen by 5:00 pm on September 12.

September 15-19: Visitors should expect short (less than 20 minutes) delays along the South Fork Alsea Byway Road.

September 22-26: The road will be closed 8 miles west of Alpine. Visitors to the Alsea Recreation Area will need to use Highway 34 through Alsea to access the recreation area. The road will be reopened by 5:00 pm on September 26.

For much of September, visitors should drive the road with caution as there will be heavy equipment in the area and short stretches of gravel as the culverts are replaced.

mtbr member
    Upcoming trail build days:
    Saturday, September 27th
    Sunday, October 25th
    Sunday, November 16th
    Saturday, December 13th

Team Dirt has lots more going on in the fall. Check out this post here:
    Team Dirt Fall 2014 Calender of events | TeamDirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the updates on the trail build dates and the Bailout status.

Good, green, Oregon.
    I just wanted to pass along a huge THANK YOU to all the people that came out to ride the Alsea Falls Trail System for our shuttle days FUNdraiser! Team Dirt greatly appreciates the riders that came out to play bikes, eat good food, drink killer beers (Thank you Ninkasi!!!!), and just generally have a good time with great people!

The shuttle days were a blast and we are now looking forward to the build season kicking off this weekend! Come on out on Saturday, September 27th at 9am, at the Alsea Falls Trail System and get your build on! For more info on build days and other upcoming Team Dirt events: TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - 2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (Ordered)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I just wanted to pass along a huge THANK YOU to all the people that came out to ride the Alsea Falls Trail System for our shuttle days FUNdraiser! Team Dirt greatly appreciates the riders that came out to play bikes, eat good food, drink killer beers (Thank you Ninkasi!!!!), and just generally have a good time with great people!

The shuttle days were a blast and we are now looking forward to the build season kicking off this weekend! Come on out on Saturday, September 27th at 9am, at the Alsea Falls Trail System and get your build on! For more info on build days and other upcoming Team Dirt events: TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.
    We should be giving you and all the folks at Team Dirt a big THANK YOU for putting on a great event, plus all the hours of trail work that went into the system. I had a great time on Sunday, and can't wait to see what new trails develop over the building season.

mtbr member
    My legs were still sore this morning from 9 laps on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Corvallis Gazette-Times article about the popularity of the trail system and some details about what's coming up next:

Mountain bikers flock to Alsea Falls

mtbr member
    My friend Mike and I rode there during the shuttle event on Saturday and I have to say that was the most fun I have had on the bike in a long time. Thank you Team Dirt! I wish we had a flow trail like that in NC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am thinking about coming out to the build day tomorrow. When does it start and end? I just started here at OSU and I want to get involved with the community. I do not have a car however so I be very grateful if anyone could give me a ride or if I could join a carpool. Ill throw in gas money.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSailor View Post
    I am thinking about coming out to the build day tomorrow. When does it start and end? I just started here at OSU and I want to get involved with the community. I do not have a car however so I be very grateful if anyone could give me a ride or if I could join a carpool. Ill throw in gas money.
    Hey dude! If you want to come build, I'll drive you! I'm leaving town about 8:00 as it starts at 9, but I need to be there a few early. Probably ride afterward for a bit, but need to be home by 3:30-4. So, bring your bike if you want and come on out. I'll PM you my cell and you can text me your contact info. If 8 works, let me know! Trevor is my name.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Just an update and a post about our upcoming build day on Saturday, October 25th. Meet at the orange gate at the trailhead at 9am and we will build until about 1:30, then gear up for a social ride afterwards. Should be an awesome day of good people, a productive build and ripping some awesome trails! Here are some further details of the build day:
    Calendar | TeamDirt

We hope to see you out there! Thanks!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a heads up. Rode on wednesday and about 2/3 of the way down Springboard there is a tree down across the trail, a little more than waist high. It's after a bermed turn and you can't see it until you're out of the turn. Don't wanna see anybody take one to the body.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Just a heads up. Rode on wednesday and about 2/3 of the way down Springboard there is a tree down across the trail, a little more than waist high. It's after a bermed turn and you can't see it until you're out of the turn. Don't wanna see anybody take one to the body.
    Thanks for the heads up DBY! That kind of thing will happen this time of year. I know edub has been out there this week, so he might take care of it. I'll let him know in case he hasn't seen it. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the heads up DBY! That kind of thing will happen this time of year. I know edub has been out there this week, so he might take care of it. I'll let him know in case he hasn't seen it. Thanks again!
    I am leading the build crew for Saturday and will have my saw with me. I will take care of it if it hasn't been done already.

Also, I could really use some help tomorrow if anyone is available. So far it is just me going, and maybe my 11 and 13 year olds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Posting this to make sure people who don't see the facebook groups get a chance to read:

Alsea Falls trail conditions update:
    Trail conditions on Benton County trails are very sensitive after periods of sustained or heavy rains.
    General rules to follow.
    1. Do not ride during a rain storm
    2. If it has been raining for multiple days on end, do not attempt to ride until 2 days after it has stopped raining.
    3. If you notice that your tires are leaving ruts it is time to pack it up and head home
    4. If you are riding in wet weather conditions you should strongly consider volunteering regularly to repair, enhance, and to help build a legal trail system in your area.
    5. Update Alsea Falls trail conditions that are unfavorable, problem areas, or trail hazards to eric@teamdirt.org

Alsea Falls is slow to dry and our clay soil when saturated receives deep ruts which quickly turn into deep muddy puddles. Graveled, legal all-season trails are great options that can withstand the impact that natural tread surfaces cannot bear under adverse conditions. As mountain bikers it is your responsibility to respect trail conditions, your potential negative impact to trail tread and the hard work of land managers, trail volunteers and trail professionals. Anytime we are on a bike, we are representatives of the biking community.

Throughout this season we are evaluating Alsea Falls as a full season trail system. If significant trail damage is regularly sustained we will have to evaluate seasonal closures similar to other trail systems in Benton County. Thank you for your care and considerations and we hope to see you at a build day sometime very soon.

mtbr member
    From yesterday on upper Highballer.

Working on one of three new berms roughed into place above the existing berm line and replacing corners that were flat and bombed out and puddled.

Note the big stump.

Alsea Falls-img_1447.jpg

Note the absence of said stump.

Alsea Falls-img_1459.jpg

Still needs to be dialed in but the flow has been enhanced. Trail gnomes are pleased.

Alsea Falls-img_1460.jpg

mtbr member
    The next Team Dirt official build day at Alsea Falls is this coming Sunday, November 16th, and we could always use more trail gnomes.

Come help us get this stuff dialed!

Big things are planned for the rest of the build season and this is a great time to jump in and help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If Darren is out there please contact me at eric@teamdirt.org ASAP. Also, anyone with questions about Alsea please contact me at the same address

We really can use all hands on deck this Sunday at 9am. We will have food and drink for after the building at 1:30pm.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Team Dirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Deleted because I'm stupid
    I drive more when the streets need repairs! -'95 ZJ

Good, green, Oregon.
    Build Day! 9AM on Sunday, 11/16/14 at the Alsea Falls Trail System trailhead, with a BBQ at 1:30 for the end of the build day. Coffee in the morning to start and grub after a day of working in the woods with a bunch of good people! Come on out! Even if you have no experience trail building and are a first timer, you are more than welcome! Or, if you can only get out there for an hour or two, feel free! Team Dirt would love to have you!

TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.

mtbr member
    Last weekend's build day was bumped to this weekend due to safety concerns and impassable roads from the wind and ice storm. Team Dirt got out there with a small crew to clear everything, and now we can get back to work.

So, if you missed it or couldn't make it, you have a chance to come out this weekend. Sunday, 11/23/2014, at 9am. GC is bringing coffee, I'm bringing donuts, and there will be grilled food afterwards with beers provided by Ninkasi.

mtbr member
    New trails!

This weekend we finished the last of the major tuning and corner work on the upper sections of Highballer. It's time for something new. We will be building a new trail line above the top of the road starting this Saturday, December 13th.

Details from the Team Dirt Calendar EDIT - Updated with details from the Facebook event:

We are breaking ground on the next 1+ mile volunteer built trail up another 750 ft of vertical above Highballer. This will make over a 5 mile trip back down to the trailhead!!!

If you haven't come out please join us for some fun, no previous experience is needed. This trail will require 6 months of volunteer support and approximately 2000+ hours. We will ride after the build day also, conditions permitting.

Trail work begins at 9am and will officially end at 1:30pm. Lunch will be provided at this buildday by Team Dirt. We will have some after ride libations donated by Ninkasi brewing.

Meet at mtn bike trailhead directly across from day-use area at orange gate on fall creek access road. Come show us and BLM how much a trail system like this means to everyone and how effective we are as trail stewards.

We have free Team Dirt/BLM trail volunteer t-shirts to volunteers who come to two official or unofficial trail days in the 2014 season. This and previous events will count toward your free shirt.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Contact team dirt advocacy and trail coordinator board member, Eric at eric@teamdirt.org if you have any questions
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 12-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Could you expand on "new trail line above the top of the road" means?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Could you expand on "new trail line above the top of the road" means?
    Above the 1820ft elevation mark on the official map. Best way to learn more is to come out and help build the new line!

mtbr member
    Facebook event for this Saturday's build day. Please join us and sign up for the event; it helps the organizers plan for food and drinks after we're done building.

https://www.facebook.com/events/318617158331752/

We are breaking ground on the next 1+ mile volunteer built trail up another 750 ft of vertical above Highballer. This will make over a 5 mile trip back down to the trailhead!!!

If you haven't come out please join us for some fun, no previous experience is needed. This trail will require 6 months of volunteer support and approximately 2000+ hours. We will ride after the build day also, conditions permitting.

Trail work begins at 9am and will officially end at 1:30pm. Lunch will be provided at this buildday by Team Dirt. We will have some after ride libations donated by Ninkasi brewing.

Meet at mtn bike trailhead directly across from day-use area at orange gate on fall creek access road. Come show us and BLM how much a trail system like this means to everyone and how effective we are as trail stewards.

We have free Team Dirt/BLM trail volunteer t-shirts to volunteers who come to two official or unofficial trail days in the 2014 season. This and previous events will count toward your free shirt.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Contact team dirt advocacy and trail coordinator board member, Eric at eric@teamdirt.org if you have any questions

Good, green, Oregon.
    Last call for the build day tomorrow out at Alsea Falls! Come on out to break ground on a new trail! This new trail will be above Highballer, and it will be rad! Plus, you get to see and assist with trail construction from phase 1. Info on the build day is below, and we would love to have your help and support. Coffee and donuts in the morning, good, warm grub in the afternoon, and tons of cool people will fill the build day. You need no experience to come help, and there is no obligation to stay for the entire build day. If you can just come give an hour or two, that is perfectly fine as well! Heck, even if building isn't your thing, and you want to run the grill or help with the day's regristration, let us know. We will never turn down an offer to help with our efforts, no matter what you bring to the table!

So, get out and get dirty with us!

TEAM DIRT - Build it. Ride it.

TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Facebook event for this Saturday's build day. Please join us and sign up for the event; it helps the organizers plan for food and drinks after we're done building.

https://www.facebook.com/events/318617158331752/

mtbr member
    Here are the upcoming build days for winter 2015. Mark your calendars. Come out and help Team Dirt get Sexy Tree rideable in time for the summer.
    Saturday, January 17, 2015
    Sunday, February 15, 2015
    Saturday, March 21, 2015

Link: Team Dirt calendar

Good, green, Oregon.
    Just a reminder and a call-out for the upcoming build day this weekend at Alsea Falls. We will be continuing work on the new trail above Highballer (tentatively called Sexy Tree) that is shaping into one fun looking trail! Roots, roots, roots, and sexy trees are all over this part of the forest and this trail is beginning to tell it's story! Come on out and be a part of it!

9:00 AM this Saturday, January 17th at the Alsea Falls Trail System - For more details or any questions, see TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt. or send me a PM. Thank you!

TEAM DIRT - Build It. Ride It.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Just a reminder and a call-out for the upcoming build day this weekend at Alsea Falls. We will be continuing work on the new trail above Highballer (tentatively called Sexy Tree) that is shaping into one fun looking trail! Roots, roots, roots, and sexy trees are all over this part of the forest and this trail is beginning to tell it's story! Come on out and be a part of it!

9:00 AM this Saturday, January 17th at the Alsea Falls Trail System - For more details or any questions, see TeamDirt | All things for the IMBA chapter, TeamDirt. or send me a PM. Thank you!

TEAM DIRT - Build It. Ride It.
    If anyone needs a ride tomorrow, I will be leaving from Starbucks Coffee in downtown Corvallis at 8am. Yes, coffee for the builders! Shoot me a PM< and I'll check it before rolling out. Hopefully we'll have a good crew out there tomorrow! Build....BBQ....Beer (21+).....Cool people! Come on out!

mtbr member
    Hi. I was wondering if these trails would be rideable tomorrow. I'm guessing the heavy rains hit there too. If anyone has any info. that would be great. I don't want to ride if it may damage the trails.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    With all the rains we've had I'd definitely suggest keeping off the trails. The riding isn't worth the level of damage it'll do to the trails.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Make no mistake - Alsea is hammered right now and especially lower Highballer has taken serious abuse from poor conditions riding this winter. It's going to take a lot of work to repair lower highballer to a state we're proud of later this build season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The freeze/thaw conditions a couple weeks ago created frost heave that really loosened up the well compacted soil turning it to slop once melted. I snapped the pic below in the parking lot a couple weeks ago. Most of lower highballer and springboard had similar frost formations with the soil lifted up 3-6 inches.

Name:  Alsea Frost.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  108.7 KB

That is kind of a worst case condition since it loosened up the well compacted tread, and there is no way to get it re-compacted until the moisture content in the soil comes down a lot.

We had a ton of rain up there on Saturday. Coming down pretty hard the entire build day with no sign of it letting up.

Saw a car with a bike on top headed out to ride as we were driving home. Riding during a day long continuous downpour will probably end up in significant damage, and trail that get closed down seasonally.

We need a long dry spell without freezing conditions (good luck waiting for that to materialize this time of year) to allow the soil to dry out, and then some tire tracks on it would probably be a good thing to re-compact the tread.

It will be interesting to see how thing develop in the spring as the weather starts to warm and dry and the trees start sucking up the moisture in the soil. I'm wondering how "self-healing" the ruts will be with continued traffic, or whether they will continue to deepen and lead to bomb holes in the summer.

Either way, we'll have a fair bit of tune up work to do in the spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That freeze / thaw thing happened at Sandy as well, actually made it dangerous in some spots. RE: trail destruction and maintenance, its going to take people actually stopping and helping with packing down ruts as they go otherwise like you said there will be a ton of work to do - this is applicable to all of our trails affected up here.

mtbr member
    It was decent yesterday. Highballer was flawless up to where you get into the open, and then you could start to see and feel some wear-and-tear, soft spots and ruts. Felt like more of a progressive degradation of the trail over time than a freeze-thaw apocalypse.

Springboard was good. Only a couple bad spots. That trail drains pretty well. The bridge got me, though. I slowed down for it to go across straight, like I always do, and even more so when I saw the mud on the entrance, but I still wound up in the creek with bruises on my left thigh and right hand...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    rode these trail for the first time today. Great trails, in great shape. I'll be back soon.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

Saw a car with a bike on top headed out to ride as we were driving home. Riding during a day long continuous downpour will probably end up in significant damage, and trail that get closed down seasonally.
    I don't really have a say, since I'm not a club member and live too far to contribute really, but there is a lot of good to seasonal closures. I usually take most of dec-feb off anyway. It's the worst weather and the hardest on the trails as well as my bike. I use the time to cross train (code for be lazy) and work on my bike. Yeah, responsible riders, especially those who help build, can tell when the trails are OK to ride, but it's what...one weekend a month, maybe two? Is it worth it?
    Less damage means less time spent on repairs, which means more time for improvements. Just sayin'. I haven't been out there since October, and at the time it was already too wet in spots. I even walked some because I could tell it was going to leave ruts. But what do I know, I started riding in west Texas where we complained about wind and cactus.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone! Does Alesa or affiliates have a FB page? Would be great for this type of stuff.

mtbr member
    Alsea Falls Trail System (place/location/page)
    Alsea Falls Trail Builders (trail building group)
    Team Dirt (IMBA chapter group)
    Corvallis Mountain Biking (general mountain biking group for the region)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    I don't really have a say, since I'm not a club member and live too far to contribute really, but there is a lot of good to seasonal closures. I usually take most of dec-feb off anyway. It's the worst weather and the hardest on the trails as well as my bike. I use the time to cross train (code for be lazy) and work on my bike. Yeah, responsible riders, especially those who help build, can tell when the trails are OK to ride, but it's what...one weekend a month, maybe two? Is it worth it?
    Less damage means less time spent on repairs, which means more time for improvements. Just sayin'. I haven't been out there since October, and at the time it was already too wet in spots. I even walked some because I could tell it was going to leave ruts. But what do I know, I started riding in west Texas where we complained about wind and cactus.
    I think there is still some good riding to be had in the winter if good judgement is used. i was out of town for 8 days and got back last Thursday. From what I understood, conditions were really good during that time. Would have loved to hit that window for sure.

We will know more this spring. A rut that forms in December may be long gone and smoothed out by traffic by May. If things look pretty good in May/early June, and only minor tune ups are needed, then I would bet Alsea will be open year round in the fiture

If things are really thrashed, and we have to spend a months worth of build days just to get it back into reasonable shape, then I'm sure the discussion to close down seasonally will be had.

Also remember that seasonal closures aren't a silver bullet that ends all trail damage. People will still poach it, and unless you close it down until July 15th, there is still a darn good chance of there being muddy conditions that could cause damage.

In fact, in my mind, a really wet period in June (remember the 2 La Nina winters we had a couple years ago) can be worst case where ruts form and then quickly dry/harden when the hot/dry summer weather hits abruptly in early July.

mtbr member
    Official build day this Sunday! Details quoted below. Note that it says to RSVP in the comments but that's on a FB post, so if you read this and intend to join us please email eric@teamdirt.org. We will meet up at 9am at the parking lot and should be wrapping up our build by 1-1:30pm, with shuttled rides afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Coyle
    Get outside this weekend and make a difference!! OFFICIAL Build and Shuttle Day this Sunday the 15th. Meet at the Fall Creek Parking Lot and bring your bike to shuttle and your mouth to eat and drink beer at the end of the day. Supposed to be awesome out. Section 1 of Sexy Tree is 95% finished and we will be tackling the second leg which is full of big rocks and roots to build on right now. This is a more hands makes quick work sort of deal so make sure you come and invite someone else! RSVP in the comments so we know how much food to bring!!

Good, green, Oregon.
    If someone is need of a ride, shoot me a message, as I will have room. Plus, I bring the coffee, so you'll have an advance cup on the way out, if you want! Should be a rad day of building out at Alsea Falls with Team Dirt!

Build it! Ride it!

mtbr member
    Trails were nearly perfect today at mid-day into evening. The first point at which lower Highballer comes out of the canopy must have frozen overnight and pumped some moisture to the surface, and then melted. It was slick and my tires threw some brown spray for about two turns. Everything else was hero dirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Trails were nearly perfect today at mid-day into evening. The first point at which lower Highballer comes out of the canopy must have frozen overnight and pumped some moisture to the surface, and then melted. It was slick and my tires threw some brown spray for about two turns. Everything else was hero dirt.
    Interesting. I guess that is your punishment for not building with us on Saturday

The conditions on Saturday were perfect for building and riding. Got 1 lap in before the build and 2 after. Hands down the best conditions I have seen out there. Dirt was so tacky I couldn't get my tires to break loose in the turns if I tried.

I posted a while back that it would be interesting to see how self-healing the ruts were that formed in the sloppy conditions. I'm happy to report that the tire traffic has rolled those ruts to the point that they are nearly non-existent. There are still a couple lips forming on the down-slope edge at the bottom of some of the G-outs on lower high-baller, but those could be taken care of in about 10 minutes with a flat shovel.

Actually, all of lower-highballer is riding better than ever, especially the section out in the clearcut that was built late in the spring/early summer when moisture conditions were dryer than optimal for good compaction. The tires have really smoothed out some of those sections for the better. Even some of the horse damaged sections of upper Springboard have smoothed out to an extent.

So....that is the good news. But people still need to use common sense with not riding out there during/directly after a big downpour.

Also, I think my assessment stands that the most critical time period will be late spring when we get the last wet period of the year before the summer heat drys things out. If we can get through that period without people riding in soft conditions, I think it will make for some great conditions all summer long.

Of course, that assumes that with 0% snowpack in the mountain all of Oregon doesn't just burn to the ground this summer.

B42
    mtbr member
    A few of us are thinking about riding at Alsea on Sunday (looks like it will be dry). What are your thought on drainage given what looks like rain today and tomorrow and sunny and dry on Saturday? Is that a reasonable amount of time to expect the trails at Alsea to drain and not be soft / damageable?
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    I think it'll be ok. There will be a build crew up top working on Sexy Tree, starting at 9am Sunday. Shuttles afterward are planned for those who help build.

Springboard consistently drains well except for 1 or 2 soft spots. Highballer is a little more problematic in the lower sidehill transitions that still don't drain quite right.

It looks like a little freeze/thaw over Saturday night into Sunday morning could happen. If it does, it would soften up some of the upper parts of Highballer like it did last weekend, where you first come out of the canopy, the part that's visible on Google Maps.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 02-27-2015 at 08:47 AM.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    There is something special about the dirt on the East side of the Coast Range. Blackrock has that same "sticky" dirt. Sticky isn't the right word because it doesn't stick in your tire tread, but your tires do stick to the trail.
    Must be magic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Agreed. I think Sunday will probably be OK. Nothing like it was before the rain,

Although it didn't rain all that much yesterday, we got a pretty good amount of rain last night.

As dry as it has been the ground has firmed up quite a bit and with the rain they will tend to stay firm for a bit, but may be a bit sloppy on top.

We aren't getting ton or rain so far today, but rain is forecast until the early AM hours of Saturday. If we get that rain late tonight and the trails get ridden hard on Saturday, which I get they probably will since it is forecast to be a nice sunny day, my guess is the trails are going to soften up and at least be pretty slimy.

They may be OK by Sunday, but the bulk of those trails are somewhat north facing and under heavy canopy, so a day of sunshine may help the little bit of lower Highballer in the clearcut, but won't do that much for the rest. A day without rain will help though.

If the rain doesn't materialize tonight, and traffic is lighter Saturday, Sunday may be pretty good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast