Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Alsea Falls

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A Group of five dedicated trail builders with the correct resources(chain saw, mini hoe,brush cutter, gate keys, blm permission) can cut miles of trail during a PNW winter.

Putting together group work days is slow and a expensive for what u get in return.

I've attended imba group meetings and build days. Instead of feeling like we accomplished something it was more like what a waste of time. I can go on and on but will probably just offend more people, which is not my intent.

I just want to see that when a group is all excited and makes a push to designate a build area that after a year of doing so there is actually more then just a 2 mile trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Agreed.......small crews can knock out alot especially early when the corridor needs swamping and duff and brush removed! In our group I am the only certified Chain Saw operator so far, and let me know if you can help during the week, especially through March!

mtbr member
    What's the story with the asphalt-ish paving of the trail? How far is that going to extend? If fact, is there any kind of trail development plan available that indicates where and what type of trails are being worked on/planned? I looked on the BLM site but did not find anything. I heard a rumor what has been done is new school, flow type trail work. Any plans on more tech trails?

I think I'll have to attend the next work party to get a better understanding of the master plan...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    New Maps are coming out in the next few months, and the huge gravel from the trailhead was a contractor spec......only goes to the New Bridge .10 of a mile. Also yes to New School Flow with some Banzai 1 and 2 flow and bench cut sections with grade reversals placed over this coming up summer in a 2 mile addition. We will be mixing it up to be as sustainable and maximize the grade with some possible tech being mixed in or alternate line potential as this progresses over the next few years. The sky's the limit as long as we can maintain and move with purpose keeping the project fun and on track for all. The plan is 15-20 years, and we have a good start with the goal of a 5 mile flow trail (catch phrase) this season and working with other users as well to bring the existing trails up to spec for their designation. The BLM has been just awesome to work with and see u at one of the trail work parties as the grunt work begins to clear the corridor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    FYI: I was up there on Jan 1 and the Stellar Jay trail is marked closed at both ends. My son and I hit the trail closure at the top and detoured down the roads to the short and dis-used Fern Hopper trail. It was a little disappointing, but oh well. That is the price of progress!

I just thought I would mention this to anyone reading earlier responses to this thread which might lead one to believe that Stellar Jay is currently rideable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just want to remind everyone about the Team Dirt work party on the 11th. Please come on out and help with the build.

Thanks,
    Justin

mtbr member
    Details on the work party? Time? Place? What's needed? ETC.

The team dirt website doesn't seem to work, so no info there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Team Dirt site works fine for me. Here's what it says:

Description: Meet at Stellar J trailhead directly, across from Day-use area at Orange gate, at 9 am. We will work on the new springboard trail or clearing corridor for new connector trail from the top of the mountain.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Trail work will officially end at 1 pm, followed by lunch and a social ride.
    Alas, the 11th is my son's 18th birthday so I'll be busy. I will watch the site for future build days though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    We have a Facebook page going for the work party as well.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2112...ilter=upcoming

I'm not a computer savy person so if that does;t work just look for the Teamdirt Facebook page, or the Alsea Falls Build Day Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Heads up... build day pushed out 1 week to the 18th due to expected winds tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Heads up... build day pushed out 1 week to the 18th due to expected winds tomorrow.
    Any word on how the trail build went? Anyone been up there as of late?

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    Any word on how the trail build went? Anyone been up there as of late?
    Update from the Facebook page of the Building Group:
    We are getting closer to being finished. We will be out next Sunday 2/9/2014 at 9am at the orange gate. We really hope to gain more support each build weekend. We are getting more efficient every week and progressing further down the trail each week.
    Sounds awesome! Team Dirt and the local MTB community will have something to really be proud about!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Next trail build day is Saturday, Feb 15th. Details here:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/692913710758975/

Tactical Nightmare
    Next trail build day is Saturday, Feb 15th. Details here:
    Just wanted to bump this up to the top as a reminder of the upcoming build day at Alsea Falls. This place is really shaping up and looking good, and it is getting a lot of local support, which is awesome to see. Come on out!

mtbr member
    It just got bumped due to forecasted winds to next Saturday, the 22nd. Event link is the same, above.

mtbr member
    Just a quick reminder that the 2nd official Alsea Falls trail build day is this Saturday, February 22nd. Weather looks to be perfect for building. Here again is the Facebook event link. It's not too late to sign up!

EDIT - Date fixed, thanks GC!
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 02-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Tactical Nightmare
    Just a quick reminder that the 2nd official Alsea Falls trail build day is this Saturday, March 22nd. Weather looks to be perfect for building. Here again is the Facebook event link. It's not too late to sign up!

I'll be there and I am looking forward to seeing the progress made up there. Also, it is February 22nd, this Saturday.......just wanted to clarify.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Our next Build day will be on Saturday March 15th at 9am at the orange gate. We will have food and give away free trail crew t-shirts to folks who show up to two trail build days this build season.

We are currently finishing up work on a new blue trail mary's peak style singletrack with small berms and alternate lines with technical rooty flair. Once finished with this trail in the coming weeks we will move onto a new lower section of green flow trail with alternate high speed lines for more advanced rider. This trail system will have 20+ miles of trail with everthing from technical xc, bend style flow, dh trail similar to sandy and blackrock. Please come help join us to show the BLM how important this resource will be to our riding community. Thanks to everyone who has come out to help our trail building thus far and those who will join us in the near future.
    Last edited by edub; 03-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by edub View Post
    Our next Build day will be on Saturday March 15th at 9am at the orange gate. We will have food and give away free trail crew t-shirts to folks who show up to two trail build days this build season.

We are currently finishing up work on a new blue trail mary's peak style singletrack with small berms and alternate lines with technical rooty flair. Once finished with this trail in the coming weeks we will move onto a new lower section of green flow trail with alternate high speed lines for more advanced rider. This trail system will have 20+ miles of trail with everthing from technical xc, bend style flow, dh trail similar to sandy and blackrock. Please come help join us to show the BLM how important this resource will be to our riding community. Thanks to everyone who has come out to help our trail building thus far and those who will join us in the near future.
    Just thought I would bump this thread to the top, as a reminder of the build day at Alsea Falls this Saturday. I can say personally, that these trails are so fun! It really is shaping up to be a great place to ride! Come on out, see the trails, build for a while, have some lunch, and enjoy good people!

mtbr member
    Trail build day next Sunday, April 13th. Orange gate at 9am as usual.

Details:
    https://www.google.com/calendar/even...nBoYzBAZw&ctz=

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What to bring?

mtbr member
    Long pants, solid shoes or boots, gloves, eye protection. BLM provides tools and hard hats but bring your own if you prefer. There is usually food provided (usually brats and sides, maybe chili) but I carry a snack cause I start to fade after 2 hrs digging out corners with no fuel.

Sometimes there is a group ride afterwards, depending on conditions and weather.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet, I am there. Looks the weather should be good too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Finally, no conflicts! I'll be there.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Alsea Falls Build Day this weekend (Sunday 2014-04-13)

Please sign up for Sunday's build day here: Alsea Falls Build Day, Adding flow to Highballer Trail, Sunday 2014-04-13. Details are below:

Meet at Stellar J trailhead directly across from day-use area at orange gate on fall creek access road. I will provide a link to directions in the comments below We will be finishing up work on the new connector trail from the top of the mountain!! Come show us and BLM how much a trail system like this means to everyone and how effective we can be as a group.

We have free Team Dirt/BLM trail volunteer t-shirts to volunteers who come to two official or unofficial trail days in the 2014 season. This and previous events will count toward your free shirt.

We have another lower section of trail flagged to result in a nearly 5 mile enduro trail by the spring opener in late June. We will work on the new lower section during March and April in conjunction with multiple unoffical trail days.

Bring sturdy shoes, Hardhat or bike helmet and any hand tools that you can bring. Tools to bring include loppers, machete, hoe, pulaski, pick, mattock, shovels etc

Trail work will officially end at 1pm, followed by lunch provided by Bike N Hike in Corvallis and Albany until 2pm

Afterwards we will have a social ride depending on trail and weather conditions.

Contact team dirt advocacy and trail coordinator board member, Eric at eric@teamdirt.org if you have any questions
    Note that if you can't make Sunday, there's an unofficial build on Saturday. Check in with Eric (Team Dirt trail coordinator) before you go on Saturday.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast