meatier showers

Alpine Trail in November? Are you nuts?

No, you're not nuts. You're having a blast. Some Bend-Overs met some Valley Folk in beautiful downtown Westfir on a sunny late fall day for a dose of some of the best riding on this particular planet.

That's all the fun there is. At least until next time...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

Good times, and to think

I went almost all year without riding up road 1910

Friday, ML & I were joined by BVB & Alcohol Liz for a little exploritory ride on Alpine. It was about 45 deg in the sun and 25 in the shade. We climbed up Westfir Tie to start, everyone thought I was a little crazy after that...

Lauri made it look easy on the 29SS.

Bianca enjoying the day.

Liz rolling some sweet trail.

BVB closely behind

Saturday was a new day and a bigger group and a little longer ride, also warmer temps but more snow. We (Sparty, Captain & I) finished the exloritory from the day before as well.

Jerry showing off

Again.

Bianca wondering why?

Crash and Sparty just crusing along.

My favorite shot of the day.

Brock rocked

Slip sliding our way to the top.

The fun loving group.

Up the trail

The fast loving group

The next few are of a fun corning, just happening to be a little icy and

Super fast lovin Brock
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member

Mystery zone....

My one decent photo of the day, with Sparty, BobCanRide, and Imaklyde coming around 'that corner' where you can see the Three Sisters on a good day. It's one of the classic viewpoints with a meadow allowing views to the east. It's also the site of the mystery tree disappearance during the Cream Puff two years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Sparty bike?

Sparty's new bike is in every thread lately. Must be pretty proud of that rig.
    Looks like a fun ride.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Sparty's new bike is in every thread lately. Must be pretty proud of that rig.
    Looks like a fun ride.
    Jolly, you didn't honestly think I was going to put up another photo thread without including a pic of my new bike, did you?

I'm like a new papa.

Hey, you shoulda been on that ride, my friend... why in the world wasn't ya?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

I bike long tyme.
    Nice shots. Looks like some good riding!
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member

Shoulda!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Jolly, you didn't honestly think I was going to put up another photo thread without including a pic of my new bike, did you?

I'm like a new papa.

--Sparty
    I'm shoulda been on every great ride but I haven't figured out how to be in two places at once. We been doing our share of trailwork and riding over here on the coast and I dare say having a buncha fun.

Bye the way the new baby looks sweet!

happy trails
    Jolly

Making fat cool since '71
    I must admit that despite a 7 (or whatever) mile gravel climb I like that ride. I cramped like a fiend on the singletrack beginning right before that shot the General has of the slippery corner. It was only my left quad, off and on, until the bottom where that step-up/short climb is over the roots. Total quad lock-up, both legs, right on the root. Mt. Larry was, thankfully, persistent through my consternation towards assistance from others and gave me some "magic beans" which seemed to help. If nothing else, the rest of the ride was full of pretty colors and the animals were much more talkative...

I have not cramped like that in years. My little experiement with Perpetua is over. 3 rides with it, 3 rides with bad leg cramps. I'm going back to my old-skool formula and hydration habits.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mudnthebloodnthebeer

I'm like a new papa.

--Sparty
    What gearing are you running, and would you consider it the optimal setup for the 1910 climb?
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    I must admit that despite a 7 (or whatever) mile gravel climb I like that ride. I cramped like a fiend on the singletrack beginning right before that shot the General has of the slippery corner. It was only my left quad, off and on, until the bottom where that step-up/short climb is over the roots. Total quad lock-up, both legs, right on the root. Mt. Larry was, thankfully, persistent through my consternation towards assistance from others and gave me some "magic beans" which seemed to help. If nothing else, the rest of the ride was full of pretty colors and the animals were much more talkative...

I have not cramped like that in years. My little experiement with Perpetua is over. 3 rides with it, 3 rides with bad leg cramps. I'm going back to my old-skool formula and hydration habits.

Brock...
    Consider the cold as well.
    Ben cramped up pretty good that day on our McKenzie ride and that's what he was thinkin'.
    I also had to remember to drink water. I don't get as "thirsty" on cold days, so I forget to keep hydrated. Only when I stop and see the steam pluming off my body do I realize how dehydrated I am getting.

Great day for Oregon riding though.

mtbr member
    Had a great day, the fire was special thanks Scott! Bob

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    What gearing are you running, and would you consider it the optimal setup for the 1910 climb?
    34x22. Maybe not optimal for the climb per se but fairly optimal for the ride in its entirety. What I mean is it's singlespeeding, I made it work, the gear was too tall for some places but too low in others and on top of all that, it's late November and let's just say there were other months this year when I was in better shape.

Bottom line question: Would I change gearing if I had it to do over again? Nope.

I have my pride, you know.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member

Cramping??

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde

Brock...
    The last couple years have taught me a lot about cramping. Cramps ended my CreamPuff attempt in 2006 (along with more than 50% of the field), as well as causing problems on a lot of other rides. I am now trying to do Endurolytes about 1 per hour when going hard (thanks Abe). This is especially important when I'm riding singlespeed. Another thing I've been doing lately is adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a bottle of water/hydration drink (thanks Caz/Diana). I do use a hydration pack with clear water so I'm not committed to whatever is in the bottle.

Flaps

DOD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    The last couple years have taught me a lot about cramping. Cramps ended my CreamPuff attempt in 2006 (along with more than 50% of the field), as well as causing problems on a lot of other rides. I am now trying to do Endurolytes about 1 per hour when going hard (thanks Abe). This is especially important when I'm riding singlespeed. Another thing I've been doing lately is adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a bottle of water/hydration drink (thanks Caz/Diana). I do use a hydration pack with clear water so I'm not committed to whatever is in the bottle.

Flaps

Google "mustard and cramps" you might be surprised to see a lot of study on it. Pickle juice works too, but it's harder to carry. I have some mustard packets in my pack now, but haven't had a chance to try it myself. I don't cramp often, but if I do...
    MaxSteel

mtbr member

On-One....

.... a chum from back east had a littel issue with his after meeting a rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

From one Fat handle to another

Oh FatBob.....always trying to spoil man's fun. Save your broken pictures for some negative losser with no hope. This is not that crowd. Can you feel the love all the way to Texas FatBob? Can you feel it!?

BFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Oh FatBob.....always trying to spoil man's fun. Save your broken pictures for some negative losser with no hope. This is not that crowd. Can you feel the love all the way to Texas FatBob? Can you feel it!?

BFE
    BFE.... what the heck are you talking about?

Seening Sparty's just reminded me of my bud's back in VA. Dood smashed into a rock nay, boulder around a turn. Had he not hit the boulder he would have fallen into a ~60' ravine. I'll take a sacrificial frame any day over falling into an abyss.

I got's no problems with Brant's kit, I have a fleegle & mary bar on my SS's. If the slider version of the inbred had been avail in jr. size I would have jumped on it.

mtbr member
    Just messin' with ya dood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Just messin' with ya dood.
    NP, started a negative loser thread, you're right why ruin a perfect thread that had perfect content with my broken frame....

I got a feeling the Fat handles are going to have to share some brews @ BC this spring.

Sparty, Flaps, Max, awesome pics as usual, sorry to soil your thread with ganked steel.

mudnthebloodnthebeer

34x22. Maybe not optimal for the climb per se but fairly optimal for the ride in its entirety.

--Sparty
    So you'd 'a gone a bit higher in order to get to the really fun part a little quicker. Good to know.

BSNYC

meatier showers
    So you'd 'a gone a bit higher in order to get to the really fun part a little quicker. Good to know.
    Yeah, right. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it, eh.

No, my friend, I'm afraid the opposite is the case. I was hurtin' on that climb. I was thinking that a 34x24 would have been optimal. Honestly, I probably could have climbed just as fast with the lower gear but then I hate spinning out on the flats.

A couple weekends prior to the Alpine ride, I rode down and then back up Tire Mtn Trail. The climb back up Tire was frickin' brutal. Way steep plus the trail tread was soft and spongy -- it was like pedaling through wet cement. I was indescribably disappointed to realize I was having such a difficult time pedaling a 34x22 gear up that climb.

So I decided that once I got home I'd change my gearing from 34x22 to 33x22 (not much difference but every little bit helps, eh). Well, I was relieved when I got to swapping chainrings and discovered that the bike was actually equipped with a 36x22, not a 34x22.

That's when I swapped to the 34t ring. Whew, what a relief.

I don't intend to go lower if I can help it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mudnthebloodnthebeer

I don't intend to go lower if I can help it.

--Sparty

Word on the street is that the possibility of a chance encounter with an opportunity to go lower is what gets your feet on the floor every morning...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Word on the street is that the possibility of a chance encounter with an opportunity to go lower is what gets your feet on the floor every morning...
    LMFAO! Quaffi, it sounds like you know sParty like we know sParty. He does have a reputation to live down to, after all.

Flaps

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    LMFAO! Quaffi, it sounds like you know sParty like we know sParty. He does have a reputation to live down to, after all.

Flaps
    I'm glad you fellers are my friends... hate to have you for enemas.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Making fat cool since '71

Well now...

I'm glad you fellers are my friends... hate to have you for enemas.

--sParty
    ...I'm your huckleberry.

Brock...

PS: heh, heh, heh.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.