MarkyMark

Accomodation Recommendations for MRT

I'm heading up to MBO next week. It's my first time riding in OR so I want to make the most of it. I'm planning on leaving a day early (Wednesday) to ride the MRT on Thursday before heading over to Oakridge.

Where should I stay and how should I arrange a shuttle?

I'll be doing enough camping at MBO so I'm looking for a hotel/motel that's bike friendly. Francois and the Norcal crew stayed at Harbick's Country Inn so I have that in mind. I did a bit of reading on this forum and it sounds like Harbick's Country Store does shuttles.

There's a high probability that I will be up there solo. Is that going to be a problem for the shuttle? Is there a schedule for the shuttles? I'll want to eat and drink soon after the ride. The Country Store sounds like a no-brainer, but is there somewhere else that anyone would recommend for recovery food (not fast/junk)?

BTW, I bought simonbsays' MBO ticket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If you're looking at lodging, Harbick's Inn is probably the ticket. You can research B&B's in the area (McKenzie Bridge, Blue River), but Harbick's is probably your best bet.

If you're solo and adventurous like I am, I don't mind parking at (or riding to) the lowre trailhead and hitchhiking to the top. If you put up a thread announcing an MRT ride, you might get some takers, and you can arrange your own shuttle.

How much does Harbick's charge for a shuttle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you ride back up highway 126 to the trail head? How long on the pavement and how dangerous would that road be?

Thanks,
    Jeff

MarkyMark
    Thanks for the response. Harbick's hasn't responded (no online booking) so I'm going to book a room in Eugene/Springfield. I'd like to be closer to the trail head, but it's my first time in the area and don't want to be arrive at 1am and find out that they're sold out like the Hilton in Eugene.

I still have questions regarding the shuttle from Harbick's Country Store. I'm going to park at the lower trail head (Ranger Station?) like you suggested and do and out and back. No shuttle or hitch-hiking required.

Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    If you're looking at lodging, Harbick's Inn is probably the ticket. You can research B&B's in the area (McKenzie Bridge, Blue River), but Harbick's is probably your best bet.

If you're solo and adventurous like I am, I don't mind parking at (or riding to) the lowre trailhead and hitchhiking to the top. If you put up a thread announcing an MRT ride, you might get some takers, and you can arrange your own shuttle.

How much does Harbick's charge for a shuttle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, you can ride 126 to the trail head, there is a very good shoulder from Rainbow (Harbick's) to the trail head on the other side of McKenzie Bridge.

You might want to check for a room at the Belknap Hot Springs Resort. It is on the MTR, so out of your room and onto the trail.

http://www.belknaphotsprings.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass
    Thanks for the response. Harbick's hasn't responded (no online booking) so I'm going to book a room in Eugene/Springfield. I'd like to be closer to the trail head, but it's my first time in the area and don't want to be arrive at 1am and find out that they're sold out like the Hilton in Eugene.

I still have questions regarding the shuttle from Harbick's Country Store. I'm going to park at the lower trail head (Ranger Station?) like you suggested and do and out and back. No shuttle or hitch-hiking required.
    I would park at Paradise Campground, a few miles upstream. The trail below there is nothing special is basically the just off the shoulder of the highway.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common