slower than you

6 days in January - where to go?

It's been a long year, I'm totally burned out realized yesterday that my last vacation was January '99. Since I work at home this basically means I haven't been out of the house in, what, 9 years? I've never road tripped to go ride my mountain bike so it's about time to do it, which brings me to the big question: where the hell do I go? I'm 99% roadie so I really haven't got a clue. My dirt experience has mainly been limited to cross racing, Forest Park or Powell Butte but I finally want to get out and see what else Oregon has to offer.

I live in Portland, January 18th-23rd are the dates I have to work with and nice singletrack is all I need to be happy. ACM on the 19th sounds like a lot of fun so that's probably a must-do. Is there enough great riding in the Eugene area that I can hang out a few more days and stay entertained or would I be better off moving on after ACM? Maybe I should head somewhere else entirely? June would be a lot nicer weather than January but the opportunity is there so I gotta take it.
    Dog is my copilot

meatier showers
    Arizona. Stop at ACM on your way south.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

I got nothin'

Where to go....

I second Sparty's recommendation of Arizona. Lots of great riding in the desert and the weather should be fantastic.

On your way, if the weather is good, hit NorCal. Lots of great riding near Auburn and the Bay Area. Watch the weather though, could be wet. Also, you might get some riding in around the Redding area. Search the web for bike clubs in Redding.

Best idea of course is to post on the other state's forums and ask the question.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

slower than you
    I hadn't even thought about heading out of state but it ain't a bad idea at all. Warm...desert...Red Rocks is supposed to be pretty awesome too I think...sounds a lot nicer than muddy slop here in Oregon. Guess I'll have to take an extra couple days too. Bummer.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Hey ratspike, if you can make it to ACM great, we'll finally get a chance to hook up The Norcal area, Redding can keep you occupied for a few days for sure, it all depends on what you want for weather.

PM me your email and I can hook you up with folks in Redding, or AZ, it's a bit more of a drive and the riding is typically a lot more technical but it is usually warmer...
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins