bike junkie
    Dec 2007

5/5/08 MRT conditions?

Hi,
    I might be making a trip down to Eugene next weekend, and if I do, wanted to get in some riding on the Mckenzie River Trail. I called the Forest Office and they said from the bottom up to the 6 mile mark is clear of snow and the logs have been cut out.

Does anyone have any current info on the trail conditions north of the 6 mile mark?

I'm game for jumping some logs and snow riding/hiking, but I'd like to spend more time on the bike than off of it.

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I e-mailed the rangers office this weekend and this is what they sent me back

"we are expecting the trail to be open to Trailbridge Reservoir by
    Memorial Day, it is currently open up to Frissell Creek. Because of the
    snow level at Clear Lake, we are expecting it to open up to Clear Lake by
    the middle of June or early July"

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Im game to meet you guys down at the bottom this Saturday. Im driving from Portland, though. I've never ridden the MRT and have been wanting to for a while.

Tree Hugger
    Riding up to Frissell Creek and back would be a short but decent ride, barely 10 miles. You miss all the greatest aspects of the MRT, but you do still get to enjoy old growth forest, a beautiful river, and fun, easy singletrack. There's hardly any elevation change below Frissell so it's SS friendly and beginner friendly as well.

If this weekend is your only chance, go for it. If you can wait, you should wait until the upper half is open (above Trailbridge Reservoir) to see the best parts of the trail, including the waterfalls, lava flows, and less hikers (except around blue pool.) The whole trail should be clear by late June, and is still ridable through October typically, so you have a good window of opportunity.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

bike junkie
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the info folks.

I won't be making it down soon. The original reason for the trip has been scrapped.

I've ridden the trail before and wanted to show my buddy as much of it as possible.....so we'll just wait 'til summer when we can do the whole thing.

thanks again

mtbr member
    too bad about the snow, Last year we rode the whole trial including the Lake on May 12th! Looks like the family camp, planned for next weekend will result in more time w/ the family and less on the bike. Bob
    THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT

Members who have read this thread: 0