Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Metalheadbikerider

3 Corner Rock conditions?

Anywhere ride there recently? Thanks in advance.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    Anywhere ride there recently? Thanks in advance.

Yes, but it's been a few weeks. It's in great shape as far as Stebbins Creek. There weren't any trees down in that section and the tread holds up very well. The road from Dougan Falls to the trailhead was recently scraped, so no pot holes, but it turned the surface into soft and loose gravel. It should be bedded down a bit by now.

My regular winter ride is to park at Dougan, ride the three miles up the road to the trail and then up and down to the creek and back.

Tomorrow (Friday 2/5) I plan on being at Dougan by 11:30am and make an attempt at the summit.
    [Scratch that. The bike shop just called and a crucial component needs to return to it's origin for repairs.]

I am willing to entertain anyone interested in this ride. Achieving the summit will require a creek crossing, cover approximately 25 miles and climb over 4000 feet. It might be raining. It is surely to be cold and windy at the top. I'll be bringing lights. Getting to the top is no guarantee, in fact it is improbable.

[like I said, "improbable."]
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 02-04-2010 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one...

Thinking about riding up there this weekend - anybody been up & know what the creek crossing is like?

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle
    Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one...

Thinking about riding up there this weekend - anybody been up & know what the creek crossing is like?

gabrielle
    Wet.

The creek will be running high with this rain and the snow that is still on the flanks of the summit. The trail is in great shape and holds up well when wet. It's clear up to the road crossing. Above that, as of a couple weeks ago, there was still quite a bit of snow.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Perfect condition

I rode it this morning and it was great. I parked at Dougen Falls and rode up. A good time for all. We made it to the creek and turned around...I think it is a climb but not a big deal. It is a good workout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The trail is in great shape all the way up.Typical snow patch (two) on the north side,but clear of blowdown and overgrowth.Whoever cut back the top section is a real gem!The descent is so much fun I enjoyed it with 15 feet of visibility on Sunday(no sun at all).The creek crossing was cake...take your shoes off and take a stroll.This is possibly the finest ride "we" have at this point.As far as the creek running deep...my knee warmers did not get wet.

Cheers!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The trail itself was in great shape over the weekend, but the upper section (between creek and road) is getting a bit overgrown. Some of that overgrowth is Devil's Club, so bring your nippers & be careful out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member

Trail conditons?

Has anyone been out to 3CR recently and ridden the upper section between the creek and road? Is it still overgrown? If so, I want to get a few riders together and go do some cutting back from the road down to the creek.

Thanks.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Has anyone been out to 3CR recently and ridden the upper section between the creek and road? Is it still overgrown? If so, I want to get a few riders together and go do some cutting back from the road down to the creek.

Thanks.
    I have! The upper section is overgrown,but more than rideable.Cut away man!!!Three cheers to you.FYI...Washington DNR has implemented a new revenue collection "service" called the "Discover Pass".Everything from Dougan Falls on requires a parking pass.I parked at the fish hatchery and did the out and back from there.I do not pay to park...anywhere.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The whole trails is overgrown. I did it over the weekend. I think it is an awesome trails that is undervalued. The problem is you get hammered by brush. I wonder if a gas powered weed wacker would be the best. I hear they are going to log it out next year. That would be a sad scenario

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post

Thanks.
    I rode to the summit about six weeks ago and it was ridable, but definitely brushy in the usual places.

Over the years I have done some brush work on this trail. The Cold Creek crew based in Camas have done some work too. I would be interested in a group heading up to tackle the overgrown sections.

I work on Saturdays so it would have to be a Sunday or Monday for me.

As Jaybo mentioned, a gas powered brush cutter would help make it very efficient. I think the Camas guys have been able to access loaner tools from the DNR (might make the "Discovery Pass" more palatable, eh?).

Either way, I could be persuaded to head out this Sunday for a day-long effort of clearing our way to the top. With enough people and hand tools, we could leap-frog along clearing the worst of it and still get a good ride in.

mtbr member
    I'm out of commission right now, but if this were pushed out to the first/mid of October, I'd be there for sure.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

3CR trailwork on Sunday?

I would be interested in going this Sunday. We could at least get the worst stuff cut back. It is crazy how fast everything grows out there. I did a cut back this spring from the lower road and made it to the section before the drop to the creek. Now it looks like nothing has been cut for years.

I am shooting for this Sunday because we are doing a memorial ride the week after for a friend that recently passed away. 3CR happened to be his favorite trail.

Would gas powered stuff would be a good idea with all of the fire danger we are currently experiencing? I was thinking human powered cutting on the worst spots.

I guess the Discovery pass is available at Jimbo's Deli Mart or Bi Mart in Washougal if needed.

More to come...

Old House Man: I hope your head is feeling better.
    Last edited by bubba13; 09-14-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yo Bubba...If you were to drive to the road crossing I believe that the "pass" could be avoided.I cannot imagine anyone would patrol that far in.The enforcement agent that I talked to had no intention of venturing passed Dougan Falls.Personally I think that the lower section is fine,but I like Huffman Peak...it's a bushwacking nightmare.In regards to the "pass",apparently the fee does not go into trail maintenance or secure parking.I believe that it is only for trash removal at a few swimming/drinking areas.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Yo Bubba...If you were to drive to the road crossing I believe that the "pass" could be avoided.I cannot imagine anyone would patrol that far in.
    From what I understand from this document..

Frequently Asked Questions

you need a pass just to drive on the DNR roads now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree...but I know there will be no patrol that far up.I hope that no one who rides voted for this!Thanks for the info document.I will still ride Three Corner Rock a lot.I will always park well below the "resticted" area.I never bought a "forest pass" and I surely will not support the agency that will be logging this area to it's demise.JUST LIKE TARBELL!!!Thanks again for the info link!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As long as they are not checking traffic say near Dougan Falls or the swimming holes upstream from there, you'd probably be OK.

The entire "forest pass" scam is just another way for government to rake dough from user groups. They say that "it will be used for improvements". I call BS on that. Most of it goes to pay for the bureaucracy to establish and enforce the program. Sorry for the rant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    As long as they are not checking traffic say near Dougan Falls or the swimming holes upstream from there, you'd probably be OK.

The entire "forest pass" scam is just another way for government to rake dough from user groups. They say that "it will be used for improvements". I call BS on that. Most of it goes to pay for the bureaucracy to establish and enforce the program. Sorry for the rant.
    No need to apologize.The funny part is "they" want to charge a usage fee to someone who is doing the work that is never performed by DNR.Did you notice the work that went into that info page?I wish the National Forest websites were this clear.Oh well,ride it 'til it's logged.

mtbr member
    Is the 3CR area really going to be logged? If so, that truly is a shame. I've watched over the years as the clear cuts have crept ever closer each summer.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Is the 3CR area really going to be logged? If so, that truly is a shame. I've watched over the years as the clear cuts have crept ever closer each summer.
    I have no evidence other than spray paint marking and timber sale boundary signage on the trail.I certainly do not understand the process that goes along with such endeavors.Right now it simply appears "fishy".

mtbr member
    Logged, non-maintained trails by the state (maintained by clubs only), but be sure to have your "Discovery Pass" ($10/day) to park in a "shady" graveled lot in middle of nowhere to ride on DNR lands that are mostly amidst clearcuts. The state of WA has their head up their butt in terms of recreation on state lands is concerned, IMO. The message is, "you pay us to ride a bit of on our logged lands and we will eventually log and destroy those trails you've come to love to ride and paid to ride and you will have to re-build them up yourselves after we hammered the area". At least the Dept. of Forestry at Post Canyon gives riders mostly free reign to build with no bogus pass due to knowing that the trails could and very well be logged at anytime.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I can't disagree with Igusta on the state of Washington State and the management of lands. I hope the logging doesn't destroy 3 Corner Rock but it doesn't sound good. Thank gawd Sandy Ridge is a new riding option because we are losing trails left and right over the years. I was sick when Whoop De Doo was blasted in HR--and disappointed the last part of Mitchell Ridge is closed to use. I pray to the gawds of mountain biking that the Syncline area holds together....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I can't disagree with Igusta on the state of Washington State and the management of lands. I hope the logging doesn't destroy 3 Corner Rock but it doesn't sound good. Thank gawd Sandy Ridge is a new riding option because we are losing trails left and right over the years. I was sick when Whoop De Doo was blasted in HR--and disappointed the last part of Mitchell Ridge is closed to use. I pray to the gawds of mountain biking that the Syncline area holds together....
    Why would you ever want to disagree with me. Don't bank on Syncline, or at least Coyote Canyon trail is soon be a thing of the past. To offset the loss, "they" are going to allow for a trail to be built just west of Coyote so it is not on any private lands, but I don't see how this is possible since I believe everything west of Coyote is mostly on private .
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The interesting thing about 3CR is I ride up there many weekends and rarely run into other riders. This Friday I will be up there and see if I can gut it out to the top....

Never disagree with the master of Banshee disaster! I mean, dude, you are scary, you bust frames in half!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The interesting thing about 3CR is I ride up there many weekends and rarely run into other riders. This Friday I will be up there and see if I can gut it out to the top....

Never disagree with the master of Banshee disaster! I mean, dude, you are scary, you bust frames in half!
    Cool, I used to love 3CR for that as well. Off this Friday, heading north to finally ride the CAP! GL6 and maybe some LLMT here I come!
    Ride On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast