Thread: 3 corner rock?

mtbr member

3 corner rock?

Anyone ridden 3-corner rock in washougal lately? I relocated to Portland in the summer and remember a post saying thats a pretty decent ride all year long with good drainage. With all the rain we've gotten lately I'm doubtful anything is ridable right now. Sounds like even Syncline is a no-go. Starting to get cabin-fever...must get out and ride! Sounds like Forest park might be the only option near PDX.

SRR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Anyone ridden 3-corner rock in washougal lately?
    Not a regular here, but I noticed your post because another Portlander (jgusta), who posts on the WA forum, just mentioned riding Three Corner two weeks ago. So I guess the answer's yes -- it's doable. I'd try for sure but it's a bit of a stretch from Tacoma this time of year. You might PM jgusta for more details.

beautiful noise...

if you go...

If you decide to ride 3CR you might take note that with all the recent rain the main creek crossing (used to be a bridge, but no more) will most likely be a difficult and possibly dangerous river crossing. I've riden the trail many times in many conditions and would suggest doing the 2/3rds stretch from the TH to the main creek as an out and back. Last year at this time (with "normal" rainfall) it was crotch deep, very swift, and damn cold.
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Good to go!

Just an FYI that the trail is in excellent shape. With the blue skies yesterday, I got the bug and rode the singletrack from the trailhead on up towards the main stream. After reaching the sign for 3-corner rock (which you really can't see anything because the trees have grown tall), I descended about half way down to the stream. There's a pretty wide section of run-off flowing down the slope towards the main stream - looked a little sketchy, so I turned around from there.

At any rate, the trail has excellent drainage and with all the rain (and bad reviews of typical winter riding: Syncline, etc), I was pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was over at 3CR on Sunday. I actually rode up the fire road that can be used to form a loop with the single track. I got about 6.5 miles up the rode and it turned into 3inches of snow. There were deep tire ruts that I could ride in for about another mile but after that it was untouched snow that was iced over and impossible to deal with. I also rode there last year during the first week of November and took the singletrack. I crossed the stream which was above my knees and moving swiftly. I am sure it is much worse now with all of the recent rain and certainly more dangerous.

mtbr member
    I've actually never done the loop...always rode up the ST. Was gonna use the fireroad as a last resort if the trail was too muddy to ride. I did see snow at higher elevations, but never saw it on the trail.

Would love to find another trail to ride...am guessing tarbell will have too much snow.

mtbr member
    I've actually never done the loop...always rode up the ST. Was gonna use the fireroad as a last resort if the trail was too muddy to ride. I did see snow at higher elevations, but never saw it on the trail.

Would love to find another trail to ride...am guessing tarbell will have too much snow.
    So no snow on the ST of 3 Corner all the way to Red Bottom Creek? Last time I rode, 12/24 (way too long due to second job and recent house purchase/remodel is just sucking my time away these days) the trail had about 2-3" of snow just a mile up the trail, had to turn around. Hoping to ride this weekend if you wan't to go up there again, Sat are best.

Other winter rides? Siouxan Creek (out of Amboy), Tarbell (looks like too much snow right now, just looking across the river), and Syncline once the trail dries a bit from all the heavy rain. I also like to blast Powell Butte at night for some short, fast ST runs and is very close to down, definitely drier and funner than Forest Park, but should dry out a bit too.

Contact me if you want to ride. I am glad to hear someone is getting out and riding for me. I am not much of a snowman, trail riding is my fave.

- Jon at 503-312-3443, jgusta@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was surprised that the trail was in such great shape. No snow on the ST, but I could see snow up at the higher elevations.

Would love to hook up and ride...however, my wife just had a baby 6 weeks ago so its been tough getting out. She loves to ride as well, and gets a little jealous when I have fun. Her folks fly out this saturday, so thats a bad day - but maybe next weekend? I'll have to play it by ear.

derek
    gdawg21@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was surprised that the trail was in such great shape. No snow on the ST, but I could see snow up at the higher elevations.

Would love to hook up and ride...however, my wife just had a baby 6 weeks ago so its been tough getting out. She loves to ride as well, and gets a little jealous when I have fun. Her folks fly out this saturday, so thats a bad day - but maybe next weekend? I'll have to play it by ear.

derek
    gdawg21@gmail.com
    Sounds good, this weekend is going to be a wet one anyways. I might try to get out this Sun. for the hell of it up at Three Corner or Siouxan and try to get some fresh air and spin a bit. I can't believe it has been over 5 wks since I have ridden last, the longest I have gone in over a year even with a new surgery/repair last summer.

- Jon.