mtbr member

2017 Bend Trail Closure Details

Trail closures are due to important restoration work, including thinning, mowing and prescribed fire.

Interactive map of closure area: West Bend Public Information Map.

Trail Closures Monday- Friday – Open Saturday-Sunday
    COD Trail – between Storm King Connector (sign post #32) to Welcome Center (sign post #21)
    Grand Slam Trail – between Storm King Connector (sign post #27) to Voodoo Trail Connector (sign post #15)
    Deschutes River Trail & Deschutes River Mountain Bike Trail between Lava Island and Aspen Day Use site.

Not Every Day – But Trails That Can Be Closed With Short Notice
    Storm King Trail – South of Century Drive/Hwy 46 (between Hwy 46 and sign post #31)
    Lower Tyler’s Traverse (sign post #43 and sign post #38)
    Catch & Release Trail – the entire trail (from sign post #38 to intersection of Conklin Drive/Hwy 46)
    Other areas as marked on interactive map linked above.

Please respect the closure - The risk of injury is high due to operators using large equipment cutting and moving trees. Mastication, or chewing up of debris can be hurled over 500 feet from the equipment. Machines are loud and operators do not hear when bike riders are nearby.

**The Deschutes National Forest will be increasing their patrols in the closed area and will be enforcing the closure by ticketing individuals.**

Where to ride.
    Most locations can be found on the Bend trail maps. We recommend talking to a local bike shop, Cog Wild Bicycle Tours/Shuttles or looking on Bend Trails for more details on individual trails.

Early Season (Early Season-May 15th)
    **Ride East of Bend! Still riding good after May 15th
    Horse Butte**
    Horse Ridge**
    Cline Butte**
    Maston**
    Peterson Ridge in Sisters
    Radlands in Redmond
    Lower 66 in Prineville
    Grey Butte/Scull Hollow in Smith Rock

Mid-Season (May 15-August 15)
    Phil’s Trail area – except closed trails
    Wanoga area trails – except closed trails
    Swampy area trails
    Skyliner area trails
    Mt Bachelor Bike Park - when open
    Cog Wild trailhead shuttle (cogwild.com) – ride from Wanoga or Swampy shuttle back to town on open trails
    Mrazek Trail through Tumalo Falls and/or Shevlin Park
    Newberry Crater and Swamp Wells Trails (late June opening)
    Ochocos area trails (late June opening)

Late Season (August 15-snow season)
    Everything listed in Mid-Season plus:
    Flagline to Swampy area
    High Lakes area

Why are the trails closed?
    A combination of factors— A history of unsustainable forest management practices including over-logging and fire suppression has created unnatural forest conditions: overly dense forests, full of young trees...fewer of the older, larger fire-tolerant species…overgrown, shrubby understory.

In its current condition, this area also presents a serious wildfire threat to the City of Bend.

Restoration of 26,000 acres of our forest directly west of Bend is happening now. This includes the Phil’s Trail system, parts of the Deschutes River Trail system, the Virginia Meissner ski area, and more.

Learn more at The West Bend Project | Forest Restoration in Bend Oregon Deschutes Collaborative Forest Project.
    Last edited by DCFP; 04-20-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Deschutes Collaborative Forest Project (DCFP)
    Experts working to restore our forest.
    http://deschutescollaborativeforest.org

mtbr member
    Looks like the map is showing a lot larger area as CLOSED in red.

Can you clarify?

mtbr member
    Sketchbook - Right now in March there are prescribed burns going on. The FS knows that mountain bikers are not out there now due to snow and mud.
    We posted this information now so people planning their trips will understand where to ride and what closures are in effect.
    Also, in the Not Every Day closure section of the post it does list other areas as marked on the interactive map.
    We've been working closely with the FS and they are doing their best to work around our recreational schedules.
    Thanks for the question!

mtbr member
    I see.

Note there are riders riding in that area even now. I saw someone post a photo of COD at rd 400 and it was dry. Something to keep in mind.

thanks!

mtbr member
    1) I put in a sticky request on the site feedback forum for this post (and requested the old one be unstickied). Unless there's a moderator who reads these posts and can do it if I just ask?

2) How long are the closures expected to last? I was planning a trip to the Wanoga trails as soon as the snow melts but the impacts to Tyler's, Catch&Release and Storm King are making me rethink my plans.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the sticky request, we did the same thing.
    These closures are for the season - or until the work in an area that is closed is finished. The contractors also want to finish up, it is very stressful for them to be working near the trails as there have been close calls by mountain bikers who have not respected the closure.
    But we need to keep in mind the West Bend project is going to take years to finish. It is a huge project to remove the effects of previously being a logging area.
    For your trip, just follow BendTrails.org and the map and you should be fine. The trails you mention will only be closed for small time periods just when machinery needs to come through.

Hella Olde
    I'll be in town March28-April1st

-Just wanted to double-check that the East-of-Bend complex is rideable on a regular bike (non-fat)?

Thanks - I've only been to Bend once and didn't get to ride. This time I may only have 1 day to ride but want to get some dirt (in a way that is proper). I read all the info on the bendtrails site and ordered a map.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thanks for the info. please point everyone to the map, including having the signs point to it, and ask that any signs have an 'effective date' on them. last year i was riding up there and various maps (online and off) and signs conflicted, and it was hard to tell which one was the most recent or most accurate.

mtbr member
    Yes, within the seasons mentioned above, East of Bend is ridable on a regular bike. Outside of the mentioned seasons it can get sandy, but that is when everyone comes back to the west side to ride again. Hope that helps!

Hella Olde
    That does help! thanks

Horse Ridge area looks like it will fit the bill for a little early spring 10 miler

Gonna do Mad Max road up to > Has No Horse over to > Sand Canyon

Looks like a relatively easier uphill with a DHy finish.
    Last edited by DH40; 03-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    As much as I hate seeing trails closed I know this one is for a good reason. Keep up the good work up there! Between you and the Deschutes Partnership that area is in good hands.

mtbr member
    FYI: COD and Stormking are now open on weekdays. For a time anyway.

Most likely because heavy machinery is probably banned due to IFPL