mtbr member

2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System

This is the 2017 thread for the Alsea Falls trail system. I will keep this top-level post updated with information about what's going on.

Build calendar is still under discussion with Team Dirt and BLM. Stay tuned.

Due to heavy equipment and logging operations, the main paved road (Fall Creek Access Rd), Whistlepunk Tie Rd (BLM 14-7-27), Whistlepunk and Sexy Tree trails will be closed 24hr/day from M-Th and Friday from midnight until 5pm. All roads and trails will be open Friday after 5pm through midnight Sunday.

Maps:

Videos:

Camping, lodging, other nearby recreation:

More information:
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:35 AM. Reason: removed shuttle event and updated build day info

mtbr member
    This Saturday, January 14th, Team Dirt will be holding a build day at Alsea Falls. The focus will be on post-storm cleanup. Please join us and invite your friends. Thanks!

mtbr member
    What a winter. We are cancelling this build day due to snow and ice and safety concerns. Be safe out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Did the trails get decimated with the winter storms? What's the status on blowdown?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee View Post
    Did the trails get decimated with the winter storms? What's the status on blowdown?
    It's not too bad but there are numerous trees down throughout the trail system. We will be out there this Sunday, January 29th to clear them. Please join us!

A couple examples attached of our work to be done. Photos taken by Team Dirt board member, and all-around awesome person, Michelle Emmons:

Sexy Tree
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-img_3769.jpg

Springboard
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-img_3794.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks to the dozen volunteers, including five first-time builders, who came out on Sunday. Trails are now clear and riding great. Go get some before the rains return!

Next build day is Sunday, February 12th.

Sexy Tree, back open for business, thanks to Polishtea and his helpers:
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-img_7129.jpg
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 02-01-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added next build day

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    How does Alsea Falls hold up with some rain? I'm considering a trip out there (would be my first to Alsea Falls) this weekend, but it looks like its gonna rain a bit. I'd rather not ride if it'll cause damage to the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tristans View Post
    How does Alsea Falls hold up with some rain?
    Generally the trails drain well. It's been a lot of work keeping them that way. The trick is to get the water off the tread with grave reversals and gentle outslopes so that the water sheets off but doesn't transport soil and create a rut. Where it isn't working it's typically either a failure of design or due to uneven compaction.

I generally don't ride during a rain, I just don't like to be that soggy, but if it hasn't rained for a day it's usually rideable at least for one lap.

mtbr member

Fall creek red to the top...?

Hey ya'll wondering if any one can confirm or deny that the fall creek access rd will link up to the top of prairie mt. ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robinlikethebird View Post
    Hey ya'll wondering if any one can confirm or deny that the fall creek access rd will link up to the top of prairie mt. ?
    If so, it would definitely require trespass on private land. None of the 4 (!) different routes on The Logging Road Cyclist go into the Alsea Falls system.

TLRC has noted that there's no way up to the top anymore without going onto private property, and that there's a new red gate with signs and cameras near the top. If you look at the region on Trailforks and turn on "land owners" under layers in particular you can see the backwards-L private land just south of Whistlepunk that goes nearly to the summit of Prairie Mountain and appears to block any hypothetical access.

The "road" that Trailforks shows going right through that private land is an old skid road that isn't rideable beyond where it crosses Whistlepunk, right at the crest of the trail after the bridge.

mtbr member
    Ohh.. thanks. Did not know about those links. I'm digging the TLRC page!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    If so, it would definitely require trespass on private land. None of the 4 (!) different routes on The Logging Road Cyclist go into the Alsea Falls system.

TLRC has noted that there's no way up to the top anymore without going onto private property, and that there's a new red gate with signs and cameras near the top. If you look at the region on Trailforks and turn on "land owners" under layers in particular you can see the backwards-L private land just south of Whistlepunk that goes nearly to the summit of Prairie Mountain and appears to block any hypothetical access.

The "road" that Trailforks shows going right through that private land is an old skid road that isn't rideable beyond where it crosses Whistlepunk, right at the crest of the trail after the bridge.
    So are these trails closed during the week? I've never been there, but there's a note on Trailforks saying Fall Creek Access road is closed during the week. Are there other ways to access the trails? I'm planning to be there May 1-3. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    So are these trails closed during the week?
    Due to heavy equipment and logging operations, the main paved road (Fall Creek Access Rd), Whistlepunk Tie Rd (BLM 14-7-27), Whistlepunk and Sexy Tree trails will be closed 24hr/day from M-Th and Friday from midnight until 5pm. See the official map with alternative routes to Highballer during the closure*.

All roads and trails will be open Friday after 5pm through midnight Sunday.

* If I were to ride during the week I wouldn't take the alternate route as suggested; instead I would climb Dutchman by going immediately left at the gate at the parking lot, and then take Bailout up to Bailout-Highballer Tie Rd (BLM 14-7-35) and then up from there to the top of Highballer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    [QUOTE=

* If I were to ride during the week I wouldn't take the alternate route as suggested; instead I would climb Dutchman by going immediately left at the gate at the parking lot, and then take Bailout up to Bailout-Highballer Tie Rd (BLM 14-7-35) and then up from there to the top of Highballer.[/QUOTE]

Great - thanks for the inside info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Building is back at Alsea Falls! Come on out and help Team Dirt get ready for the summer riding season.

Please sign up and bring your friends. No previous experience needed.

Work begins at 9am and ends at 1:30pm. Meet at the parking lot on Fall Creek Access Rd. Bring food and water; wear long pants and sturdy shoes. Team Dirt will provide hard hats and tools.

We may do shuttled rides afterwards, if it isn't too wet. Looks like no rain Saturday and Sunday, so it should be fun!

mtbr member
    Build days are back on at Alsea Falls! Join us this Saturday, May 13th, at 9am. We are very close to opening two new trails for the summer riding season and really need your help. No experience necessary. Come join the fun!

2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-img_2683.jpg

(photo: Unloading the trailer for the start of a day's work of bridge construction. This is a vital task that has to happen so that we can ride without negatively impacting the streams.)
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 05-15-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: reuploaded the photo

mtbr member
    This weekend we had nine builders out hauling lumber and finishing the first of two major bridge construction projects at Alsea Falls. We will be back out working this Saturday, May 20th, starting at 9am. Please join us so we can get this new trail open for the riding season!

2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-18447020_1485986654755873_2540453345870055302_n.jpg

(photo credit: Michelle Emmons)

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-imagejpeg_0.jpg

We are on the last step before opening a new trail at Alsea Falls! Please come out with some friends to help this Sunday, May 28th. No experience necessary and every able body will make a significant difference to the upcoming riding season.

Work begins at 9am and ends at 1:30pm. Meet at the parking lot on Fall Creek Access Rd. Bring food and water; wear long pants and sturdy shoes. Team Dirt will provide hard hats and tools.

Weather looks to be outstanding and trail conditions should be excellent. We are likely to do shuttled rides afterwards, time and drivers permitting.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Does anyone know if the road is open for riding on Memorial Day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisolm2 View Post
    Does anyone know if the road is open for riding on Memorial Day?
    I heard a rumor that it will be. There are signs of recent logging activity, but nobody was up there working this weekend either Saturday or Sunday. Typically they do not work on federal holidays.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Sounds good. thanks--

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-18700212_10212637897240226_1722170693584671603_n.jpg

Team Dirt will be back out working at Alsea Falls this Saturday, June 3rd, starting at 9am. No experience needed. Please join us, bring your bike and your friends. Be ready to build and ready to ride.

Afterwards don't forget to swing by Block 15 Brewing Co. or Block 15 Brewery & Tap Room for a People's Pint, which will benefit Team Dirt trail building projects throughout June. Build trails; ride bikes; drink beer; get more trails. Win x4!
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 05-31-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added photo

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hoping to get some Eugene area riding in this weekend but I'm gonna be squeezing it in around some remote work.

If its Saturday, Ill turn up for a bit of trail work!

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-alsea-0916-006.jpg

Alsea Falls shuttle FUNdraiser weekend signups are live!

June 24th and 25th. Discounts if you sign up early, price goes up week of event. Onsite registration will be limited and more expensive. Bring your bikes and your friends, sign up now.

All funds go to the trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are the two new trails opened up yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    Are the two new trails opened up yet?
    Not yet. Maybe in time for the shuttle fundraiser. I'll certainly post something whenever a trail officially opens, if someone tells me about it. Definitely not Misery Whip. The logging and heavy snows and rains made for a challenging build season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the update - Looking forward to the new trails.

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-13443133_10207081675700141_7341477512589934650_o.jpg

Build day at Alsea Falls this Saturday, June 17th. Last one before the shuttle fundraiser. Work starts at 9am and no experience needed. Be ready to build and ready to ride!

Once you're tired and thirsty, swing by Block 15 Brewing Co. or Block 15 Brewery & Tap Room for a People's Pint, which will benefit Team Dirt trail building projects throughout June. Build trails; ride bikes; drink beer; get more trails!

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-2017-alsea-falls-events-flyer.jpg

Still not too late to sign up for the shuttle fundraiser. If you can't make it, mark your calendars for the rest of the summer. We have one more fundraiser in September.

EDIT - race and August shuttles cancelled!
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 07-24-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: race and August shuttles cancelled

mtbr member
    Looking for something to do this weekend? Join the build day at Alsea Falls, this coming Sunday, July 2nd. Shuttles afterwards!

mtbr member
    Photos from June shuttle day are online. Thanks to Steve Evans for volunteering his time, skill, and talents to the fundraiser event!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is there much in the way of XC trails in the area? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
    Is there much in the way of XC trails in the area?
    Sure. All of the two-way (climbing/descending) are more XC-style trails than flow. Some roots but not a lot of technical features.

Gutrobber is brand new this year. Bailout just got extended and now connects directly to Dutchman, which is probably the oldest trail in the system (used to be known as Stellar Jay).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tHANK YOU! hOW MANY MILES WOULD YOU SAY IN xc TRAILS?

mtbr member
    Those trails total about 3 miles. To link them up in a descent the most sensible way would include descending part of Highballer, so about 4 miles in total, with a couple of gravel road liaisons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any more details about the enduro race this weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeseckb View Post
    Any more details about the enduro race this weekend?
    It's cancelled. Next event will be the shuttle FUNdraiser on Saturday September 9th and Sunday September 10th. I updated the top-level post and the image of our flyer to reflect the change.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 07-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    When do the sign-ups for September open? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_PDX View Post
    When do the sign-ups for September open? Cheers.
    Typically it's a week or two in advance. At this point we don't have August up yet.

I will post about it here when it happens. You can also track teamdirt.org although it is pretty busy and things roll off the front page there pretty fast.

mtbr member
    August shuttles are cancelled. From Team Dirt:

Quote Originally Posted by Team Dirt
    The August 5th shuttle FUNdraiser at Alsea Falls is cancelled!

Team Dirt has decided to regroup and focus efforts on making the September 9th and 10th shuttle weekend a success. We are making the shuttle experience safer and more enjoyable for everyone, with passenger vans and bike trailers. In order to make this happen we need a little more time to get ready.

mtbr member
    2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-alse0002.jpg

Last Alsea Falls shuttle FUNdraiser weekend of the season: September 9th and 10th. Ride to the top in a bus, not the back of a cargo van!

Discounts if you sign up early. Onsite registration limited and more expensive. Sign up now, and tell your friends. All funds go to the trails!

meatier showers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALSE0002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	1154657

Last Alsea Falls shuttle FUNdraiser weekend of the season: September 9th and 10th. Ride to the top in a bus, not the back of a cargo van!

Discounts if you sign up early. Onsite registration limited and more expensive. Sign up now, and tell your friends. All funds go to the trails!
    Hmmm... might have to get involved in this event. Whistlepunk ROOLZ!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'll be there Sunday, apparently with everyone else ... discount tix sold out over the weekend. How many reservations did you guys sell so far? Are we gonna be waiting in line all day? I'm not complaining - the money goes to a good cause and you are a victim of your success.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks and riding in, fingers crossed, cleaner air than we've had the last few days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Are we gonna be waiting in line all day?
    That won't be an issue. We always have the vehicles and drivers to accommodate a sold-out fundraiser.

Typically people get tired, so the few who want to go have to wait for a vehicle to fill up. That's less frustrating than not being able to get on a vehicle. It should be less of an issue this time as we'll have more vehicles running, each with smaller capacity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ^ Awesome, thanks for the update! Pretty exciting to see all the fundraiser pre-sales.

meatier showers
    That won't be an issue. We always have the vehicles and drivers to accommodate a sold-out fundraiser.

Typically people get tired, so the few who want to go have to wait for a vehicle to fill up. That's less frustrating than not being able to get on a vehicle. It should be less of an issue this time as we'll have more vehicles running, each with smaller capacity.
    Cool. My girlfriend and I are in for Sunday as well. See y'all then.
    =sParty
    aka Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire
    Down in Eugene

P.S. The linked page says start time is 9pm. Not kidding. What's really the start time? And end time? Thanks.
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    P.S. The linked page says start time is 9pm. Not kidding. What's really the start time? And end time? Thanks.
    9am-3pm. Last shuttles depart at about 2:30pm and gate closes at 4pm.

Be aware that the bridge just east of Alpine is closed, so you will want to route via Coon Ave (sigh, rural OR) if coming from the south or Decker to Bellfountain from the north.

See you on Sunday! I'll be doing whatever Michelle (our volunteer coordinator) tells me to do.

meatier showers
    9am-3pm. Last shuttles depart at about 2:30pm and gate closes at 4pm.

Be aware that the bridge just east of Alpine is closed, so you will want to route via Coon Ave (sigh, rural OR) if coming from the south or Decker to Bellfountain from the north.

See you on Sunday! I'll be doing whatever Michelle (our volunteer coordinator) tells me to do.
    Thank you. See you Sunday!
    =Davey
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Looking forward to meeting some new folks and riding in, fingers crossed, cleaner air than we've had the last few days.
    All the AQI indicators for the valley are "good" right now and the AIRPACT forecast from WSU is for 0g/m^3 of smoke over the coast range at 9am Sunday. Still a few hours left to sign up for anyone who's on the fence about conditions.

2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-screen-shot-2017-09-08-9.16.41-am.jpg

And we just got a dash of rain. Mild temperatures. Air conditioned vans to the top. Best weekend ever? Sign up and find out!

mtbr member
    Mild temperatures. Air conditioned vans to the top. Best weekend ever?
    Yep. I sure had fun helping people get to the top and then sweeping them down. Thanks to everyone who came out and to all the volunteers who made it happen, especially our leadership crew of Eric, Jason, and Michelle.

That wraps up our shuttle fundraiser season! Stay tuned for build day announcements as we roll into fall. Also watch shuttleday.com to see if a photo of you made the cut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Excellent job Team Dirt! Hands down the best shuttle day of the season in the NW! Kudos for GREAT trails! Your hard work digging has really paid off!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_PDX View Post
    Excellent job Team Dirt! Hands down the best shuttle day of the season in the NW! Kudos for GREAT trails! Your hard work digging has really paid off!
    No kidding. This day really upped my game -- got four runs in and by the end was going bigger (with more confidence and control) than ever. Awesome trails! Beyond the lessons learned, it was just plain FUN! Peeps, trails, brats for lunch... everything was ideal.

Well, except for one thing. My girlfriend went down pretty hard on the Corner of Contention (near the top of lower Whistlepunk). She got some bruises, torn skin and a hyper-extended thumb. But she's tough. The finished the run and then did two more! Nothing stops my girl. She loved the day, too.

Thanks to all the Team Dirt wackos who worked hard to make everything so terrific. I <3 Alsea Falls!
    =sParty
    aka Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Well, except for one thing.
    Sorry to hear about the wreck, but I gotta say that I love that you know the name of that corner.

Wish we could have ridden more. I also missed a chance to ride with slowleego, but I did get to see our trail boss put himself to the gravel on the landing between upper and lower Highballer, right in front of about eight smiling riders, so it was worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That was a fun shuttle day! Thanks for all the volunteers, I hope you guys took in decent funds for future projects, after covering all of the rental, permit, insurance and other costs it takes to pull off an event like that.

My wife and I spent about an hour waiting for a friend who slept in, got lost with the detours, and arrived pretty late ... wasn't so much fun watching all the bus loads go by, but in the end we got three laps and I'm not really sure my body would have held up for a fourth, as I was pretty sloppy on the last lap.

Sparty my wife and I were riding last in our group and came up on you after your girlfriend crashed. We talked earlier about your GG Trail Pistol. Glad to hear she added two more runs after her spill!

tb didn't get a chance to say hi, but next time ...

meatier showers
    Sparty my wife and I were riding last in our group and came up on you after your girlfriend crashed. We talked earlier about your GG Trail Pistol. Glad to hear she added two more runs after her spill!
    Thank you, my friend. She's doing alright. We're off for a two week road trip to Moab in early October and she's confident that she'll be 100% by then. Thanks again for your support and good wishes. Hope to ride with you sometime.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Also watch shuttleday.com to see if a photo of you made the cut.
    Photos are now up!

2017 - Alsea Falls Trail System-alsea-0917-061-1.jpg