Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Kicking off a new thread! Feel free to provide the latest trail condition reports and other updates about #bendtrails here! Happy New Year!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Are the cota signs up yet does anyone know?
    Sort of...

This sign is on Phil's Trail, about 35' from the parking lot:

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-mudsign.jpg

There are no signs at the entry to Kent's or Ben's. Just a lonely naked post:

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-nosign.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Unfortunately Phil's trail is taking even more damage that Ben's. The widening is out of control. There are dozen's of places on Phil's where the trail is now between 5 to 10 feet across. People have no business riding out there.

Photo's from today's hike:

Phil's -

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-phils1.jpg

Tracks show a sh!tload of traffic.

ELV Junction -

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-elv.jpg

KGB Junction -

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-kgb.jpg

it means 'no problem'
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

it means 'no problem'
    It's this sign that should be there. I'll see about making more and getting them posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-muddy-conditions.jpg  

"“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    It's painful to look at the images. Sadly we have similar ones from ELV and KGB trail. The most important thing is: What is the best way to educate people to ride east this time of year? Goal for 2014 - help people learn where to ride each season!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild View Post
    What is the best way to educate people to ride east this time of year?
    Signs at the trail-heads, bike shops, pubs, and athletic facilities might do the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There are already official closing periods for important wildlife life stages. Does anyone know of precedent for trail closures for vulnerable periods?

There are rivers where high flow periods are open to boaters, low flow open to fishermen, and roads that have closure periods for bikes. I'm thinking about whether having closures to bikes only for Phil's when it's like this makes sense, so hikers/runners can still use and even have this seen as they recommended time for them, or if any traffic is really going to cause damage when it's muddy.

Hikers aren't very good about going straight through puddles either.

Either way, as use gets more intensive on MTB trails, I think official closures for bad trail conditions will likely be the future.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The challenge would be in convincing people to accept that the signs apply to them. Putting up signs is one thing but getting people to heed them is another.

mtbr member
    Looking at those pictures, my first thought would be that just does not look like fun.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The challenge would be in convincing people to accept that the signs apply to them. Putting up signs is one thing but getting people to heed them is another.
    For some people this is sure to be true, but I'm a believer that the majority of riders simply don't know the trails are permanently damaged during these muddy periods. They probably think they are open and ridable because they see other riders, or at least the tracks, out there. At this point it is very easy to miss the one sign that is posted 35' past the start of Phil's trail. When the trails are closed we need big signs leaving no room for debate.

Worth noting that trail runners are contributing to the damage and widening.

Yesterday I saw 3 runners and 2 riders in the late afternoon. There were maybe a dozen cars in the parking lot which is a muddy mess too, leaving no doubt about the trail conditions.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    They probably think they are open and ridable because they see other riders, or at least the tracks, out there.
    Yes, all it takes is one other set of tracks and a person might think, "I guess it's okay to ride." The same thing happens on Flagline before Aug. 15th too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sadly, we probably need full-on "official" winter closures, or we'll lose the trails as we know them over the next 3-5 years.

Downsides? Of course. More than balanced by the upsides? Undoubtedly.

We closed Post Canyon to motos last winter. Best spring trail conditions in decades, due to lack of winter damage.

Sadly, people complained vehemently, because maybe 8 good riding days were missed during the months-long closure.

Sheesh, go skiing, ride some gravel roads, whatever, take a mental refresh from the mtb and let the trails do some healing!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Sheesh, go skiing, ride some gravel roads, whatever, take a mental refresh from the mtb and let the trails do some healing!
    Right on! There are so many alternate venues to use when Phil's is wet and muddy, not to mention alternate outdoor activities, that there is simply no excuse for adding to the destruction that is taking place in the Phil's complex.

mtbr member
    We need something bright and shiny.

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-bdoxkgtiyaezpst.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I like it!

BTW, they should probably be closed to everyone.

mtbr member
    Ok, more signs have been posted at the entrance of each trail at Phil's. You can see we were too late for the rider in the below photo, hoping the reason you see two tracks is because they turned around after realizing the trail was too muddy.. 2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-img_20140110_105211.jpg
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Best example of trail widening ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    I like it!

BTW, they should probably be closed to everyone.
    Ditto, it seems like it should be closed to everyone. While hiking yields lower miles, it seems like no one ever walks through a puddle or muddy spot if they can avoid it. OTOH, plenty of people will ride through puddle/mud. I think you've got a better chance of educating people to at the least ride through mud/puddles who currently don't. I don't see much hope in getting people to walk through the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There are tons of tire tracks going around the big puddles. I found tracks going up and into the brush to avoid the mud puddles. It's ridiculous what riders will do to avoid getting wet and muddy!

Afric Pepperbird
    I had a dream last night that the wind was really howling and knocking over trees on Sector 16 like so many matchsticks.

I wonder if it will come true?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sometimes you just have to close a trail when it gets sloppy. We use a couple layers of yellow "Caution" tape across the trail along with a "Trail Restoration in Progress" sign. Most people seem fine with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any of you Bend riders out there have recommendations for what trails I should hit this coming weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    Any of you Bend riders out there have recommendations for what trails I should hit this coming weekend?
    Maston, Horse Ridge, Horse Butte, Radlands, Potentially smith/grey butte.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any recommended highly over another? I've only ever been down to Bend for a quick trip on Funner/Tiddlywinks before and I assume these might be quite different.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast