Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Freeride Recumbent
    I climbed Mrazek on Saturday and there were a couple of really big trees, then snow so I turned around and headed back down. Not sure what you call that part of the trail but you can see the turn around point on Strava if you're familiar with it: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | You Can't Get There Without Snow Shoes near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    I climbed Mrazek on Saturday and there were a couple of really big trees, then snow so I turned around and headed back down. Not sure what you call that part of the trail but you can see the turn around point on Strava if you're familiar with it: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | You Can't Get There Without Snow Shoes near Bend | Times and Records | Strava
    apparently those are getting cleared very soon according to a post on Facebook from the central oregon runners something or other. They called the FS i think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I would think 50+ would be a tad boring now, with all the great trails still buried by snow. Lots and lots of Phil's-ish endless loops. Nothing wrong with lower-elevation loops, though, I suppose.
    Loops are completely fine if the options are still limited. I might check out Horse Ridge or Horse Butte as well. Anything to get me out of the miserable slop around Portland. I just can't do the mud anymore.

COTA member
    Few trees down on Upper Whoops. Tried to take Sector 16 (South), but ran into several large trees about a 1/3rd mile in. Wasn't any snow, but I am sure lots of trees down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Anything to get me out of the miserable slop around Portland. I just can't do the mud anymore.
    +1

I'm getting out of the wet side here this Friday and heading to Sisters/Bend for a couple of days of dry times.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 05-11-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: correct wording

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Few trees down on Upper Whoops. Tried to take Sector 16 (South), but ran into several large trees about a 1/3rd mile in. Wasn't any snow, but I am sure lots of trees down.
    Is Upper Whoops snow-free?

Does anyone have any further 411 on snow conditions? I'm already getting a little tired of Storm King. Want a new, good, dry ride. Am willing to bike up to the Sector 16 nether regions (where the tree mess begins) if the snow is gone.

Also, does anyone know if the running club has cleared that part of Mrazek mentioned above? How far can one get tree-and-snow free?

mtbr member
    Anyone tried Tiddlywinks in the last week?
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Is Upper Whoops snow-free?

Does anyone have any further 411 on snow conditions? I'm already getting a little tired of Storm King. Want a new, good, dry ride. Am willing to bike up to the Sector 16 nether regions (where the tree mess begins) if the snow is gone.

Also, does anyone know if the running club has cleared that part of Mrazek mentioned above? How far can one get tree-and-snow free?
    Snow is basically gone i believe. 3 trees down.

mtbr member
    I'll answer my original question: No, the trail conditions on the COTA website are not current. A lot more open than what it said, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    I climbed up to the snow on Saturday afternoon. I can't tell you exactly how far up since I'm not that familiar with the trail but it was maybe a half mile past where COTA was doing trail maintenance, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    +1

I'm getting out of the wet side here this Friday and heading to Sisters/Bend for a couple of days of dry times.
    It was well worth the drive. I logged over 100 miles last weekend and I'm doing it again this weekend with more mileage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Loops are completely fine if the options are still limited. I might check out Horse Ridge or Horse Butte as well. Anything to get me out of the miserable slop around Portland. I just can't do the mud anymore.
    What is Horse Ridge like? My parents live near there, and I'll be in town for the PPP this weekend. Wondering if it's worth throwing the bike in the truck and riding for a bit. Any preferred loops? My searches have been a bit fruitless, other than to go down the "Most Difficult" marked trail.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didn't make it to Horse Ridge last weekend since so many other trails are open. I'm sure many others can chime in though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    What is Horse Ridge like? My parents live near there, and I'll be in town for the PPP this weekend. Wondering if it's worth throwing the bike in the truck and riding for a bit. Any preferred loops? My searches have been a bit fruitless, other than to go down the "Most Difficult" marked trail.
    Thanks!
    Horse ridge is probably getting a little dry and dusty at this point, but that said it's definitely worth a ride. great stuff over there. Best bet is to log on to Strava and click explore and look at all the loops and trails out there. It's very technical FYI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    Report from Mike at Sunnyside:

"Snow patches galore (on the climb) but made it to the high point on TW. DH almost clear"

mtbr member
    Thanks. I decided to bring the bike. I grew up in Bend, but haven't lived there for 20 years, so I'm very familiar with the sand and dust out east. I'll probably end up riding the Phils network, but maybe I'll sneak over to Horse Ridge if I don't have time to drive over to the west side.

mtbr member
    Upper Tylers is almost clear. About 5-6 moderate hike-a-bike snow sections once on the double track after Larsen intersection area. Should be clear 100% in about a week if it stays hot.

That said, Upper Tylers needs to be ridden. New berms just shaped and super fun. Needs some tires on it while it's still somewhat damp.
    Bend, Oregon

Nat
    mtbr member
    I was up on Tyler's on Monday. The double track climb above the Larsen's intersection still had quite a bit of snow on it, so it seems to be melting off in a hurry.

Is that a new section of Tyler's climbing up from the very bottom (at Conklin Rd.)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I was up on Tyler's on Monday. The double track climb above the Larsen's intersection still had quite a bit of snow on it, so it seems to be melting off in a hurry.

Is that a new section of Tyler's climbing up from the very bottom (at Conklin Rd.)?
    Yep small singletrack section to get you up to the doubletrack to climb up, being one way now. You could just ride up the pavement too, but I guess it's cool not having to do that now.
    Bend, Oregon

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    Yep small singletrack section to get you up to the doubletrack to climb up, being one way now. You could just ride up the pavement too, but I guess it's cool not having to do that now.
    I'll have to go back and try out the new segment. I was finishing up a 40 mile loop and didn't quite have the energy to climb back up right then and there. It looked enticing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Upper Tylers needs to be ridden. New berms just shaped and super fun. Needs some tires on it while it's still somewhat damp.
    Is TT now singletrack all the way to DMH/KB intersection? Rode TT from Larsen yesterday; sure is good dirt right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Is TT now singletrack all the way to DMH/KB intersection? Rode TT from Larsen yesterday; sure is good dirt right now.
    Yes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Yes
    Excellent and thanks!

mtbr member
    Tumalo falls area report:

1. North Fork. Heavy snow and deadfall 1 mile above T falls. It's a 1 way uphill trail - with 2.5 miles more till happy valley. So I don't advise riding this until you get a clear word on it being open up to Happy valley.

2. South Fork. Rode up as far as I had patience for over countless downed trees. Started hitting snow as i got close to the bridge. Didn't make it to the bridge. Downed trees just got too dense...

3. Farewell. Great conditions on the climb up past all the steep techy sections. All the way up to the more wooded/level areas. Then encountered some medium sized trees. Cut out 5 and then realized they just kept getting bigger. Not hand saw worthy. Didn't see much snow at all up there. Mrazek is not ridable to the top of farewell btw

Wasn't bothered by skeeters at all even at my high speed of 3mph.

Afric Pepperbird
    I doubt we'll be riding South Fork in May, as we did last year. Just too much snow on the good stuff this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Farewell -> Mrazek?

Tumalo falls area report:
    3. Farewell. Great conditions on the climb up past all the steep techy sections. All the way up to the more wooded/level areas. Then encountered some medium sized trees. Cut out 5 and then realized they just kept getting bigger. Not hand saw worthy. Didn't see much snow at all up there. Mrazek is not ridable to the top of farewell btw.
    Is Mrazek is not rideable to the top of farewell because of snow or downed trees? Was hoping to ride Farewell -> Mrazek Fri or Sat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is there a route, single track or double track, from the bottom of Tyler's to the bottom of SK? I have been going down to the DRT, but it would be nice to stay above Conklin...

dusty paw tracks
    couple days ago i climbed Funner to Wanoga as part of a biggish loop from town and Tiddlywinks is still really, really snowed in. several blowdowns, but the hike a bike was long and in the best riding areas (bermed descents). it needs a few weeks to clear.

there are some fun big loops to make lower down still. marvins, cod, sk, funner, tiddly, larsen, tylers, drt back home is a great 40+ miler. soon as mrazek links to farewell i want to tie that with skyliners, sk, and wanoga again for a mrazek + drt experience. start in shevlin, end on the deschutes. two of the most scenic riding areas in bend, and all via lower trails that are ready to rock while we wait for higher stuff to clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike View Post
    Is Mrazek is not rideable to the top of farewell because of snow or downed trees? Was hoping to ride Farewell -> Mrazek Fri or Sat.
    I think both tree fall and snow. Lots of trees down on upper farewell, and upper Mrazek. And some snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drunberg View Post
    Is there a route, single track or double track, from the bottom of Tyler's to the bottom of SK? I have been going down to the DRT, but it would be nice to stay above Conklin...
    No - you just ride up Conklin. There will be a trail eventually.

PBA
    Mar 2014
    No - you just ride up Conklin. There will be a trail eventually.
    Actually, if you ride Conklin just about 1/2 mile from TT, you can turn left on FS rd 600 which will connect you to Storm King. (It's that first rocky road crossing as you start up SK.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiKong View Post
    Actually, if you ride Conklin just about 1/2 mile from TT, you can turn left on FS rd 600 which will connect you to Storm King. (It's that first rocky road crossing as you start up SK.)
    good to know. So many freaking FS roads!

BTW - Cougar spotted on ELV today.

mtbr member
    2 down trees on upper Tyler's. One large you can sort of noodle around, and one small you can hop over.

Trail is clear other than that all the way to Kiwa.

The expert line with rock drop is all rideable now. Boulder entry is shored up, etc. Rock/Cliff drop FEELS a little bigger than last fall. Was kind of a blur, so can't confirm that. Guessing the dirt machined into the landing has settled a bit.

The FS road climb to the top is basically all clear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the intel Sketchbook. I rode up TW a couple days ago and stopped right before the big jump area because of trees. I wonder if I wimped out too early, or if some kind soul was up there clearing trees in the last days.

Did you try going out Kiwa to TT?

mtbr member
    Yesterday the trail adopter for kiwa said its not clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Normally my Bend MTB trips include a large number of Funner/Tiddlywinks runs but some comments above suggest there's still plenty of snow up there...

Anyone have suggestions of what's not snow covered that would be an equally fun area to ride this coming weekend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Storm king to the short section of Winks, cut over on Larsen's climb the 2 way section of Tyler's to the road then climb the road/double track to the top of Tyler's and ride Tyler's all the way down... its a sweet piece right now

mtbr member
    Arnold Ice Cave and Swamp Wells are exceptional right now.
    I'm insane

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I can confirm that, as of yesterday morning. Plentiful blowdown.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    One tree down in the middle of the Upper Tiddlywinks jump line. Be careful.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    2 down trees on upper Tyler's. One large you can sort of noodle around, and one small you can hop over.

The expert line with rock drop is all rideable now. Boulder entry is shored up, etc.
    The boulder entry into the rock drop is super sweet now! Needs a sign though as you have to "know" it's there, as there is no way it looks like ANY kind of entry when you roll up to it haha!
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    The boulder entry into the rock drop is super sweet now! Needs a sign though as you have to "know" it's there, as there is no way it looks like ANY kind of entry when you roll up to it haha!
    Pretty sure that's how it's designed. The boulder entry weeds out the people you don't want in that area. That way you don't need a sign.

People need to be shown the section or find it on their own.

I've gone down trice in the last couple days basically guiding friends through that section. Gotta go again alone so I can go through without stopping and pointing. Ruining the strava times!!! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can some of you that live in Bend take some pics of these trails you are talking about?

Afric Pepperbird
    Pretty sure that's how it's designed. The boulder entry weeds out the people you don't want in that area. That way you don't need a sign.

People need to be shown the section or find it on their own.

I've gone down trice in the last couple days basically guiding friends through that section. Gotta go again alone so I can go through without stopping and pointing. Ruining the strava times!!! lol
    I found it today. That rock drop requires more balls than I currently have, lol. (I don't really have the bike for it, either.)

When is Kiwa/Dinah-Moe scheduled to be cleared, does anyone know (i.e., asked the adopter)? I can possibly help out, depending on the day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    What's up with Peterson Ridge Trail this weekend?

The "Sisters Stampede" MTB race is Sunday,
    but can I SHRED it on Saturday?

Matt in Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650 View Post
    What's up with Peterson Ridge Trail this weekend?

The "Sisters Stampede" MTB race is Sunday,
    but can I SHRED it on Saturday?

absolutely.

COTA member
    Tumalo Ridge clear of snow and tree fall.
    Sector 16 clear of snow, obstructed by 80 downed trees. Avoid.
    Upper Whoops clear of snow and tree fall.
    Skyliners clear of snow and tree fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Is it just me or have there been some minor reroutes going on? A small one on upper GS and Mrazek in particular. Maybe it's just my imagination, I dunno. But if it's not can whoever is doing it please stop? I'm sick of people trying to take all the fun and challenge out of mountain biking simply because of their inadequate skill level.

COTA member
    It's up to the trail stewards to determine the routing of a trail. I am not aware of any re-route on Mrazek other than the one way only descending section (been there a few years).

A trail steward can't please everyone, but these folks (and other volunteers) pour many hours into maintaining the trails so I appreciate the routing and other enhancements they do. I doubt any changes are made because of inadequate skill level.

COTA member

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast