Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Maston is great right now although it tends to be crowded these weekends. In general its a fast flat single track with a few fun rocky sections. Cline is a road climb then a cool single track DH off the SE side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As far as Maston goes, it's fairly flat and very ridable all around, you can find some rocky tech sections between junctions (2-3-4-5) and (6-8). It's fun to ride the main loop in either direction but beware that the new trail sections are very rough still

Afric Pepperbird
    The Maston section along the canyon is wonderful and somewhat technical. It's a blast. Don't fall into the canyon!

mtbr member
    From the land of sky blue waters...waahh..aaahhh...terzz...from the land of pines, lofty balsams......Comes the beer refreshing,.......Hamm's the beer refreshing......HHAAAMMMMZZZZZZZZ!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    The Maston section along the canyon is wonderful and somewhat technical. It's a blast. Don't fall into the canyon!
    jjMarS

mtbr member

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Will be heading up to Bend on March 25/26. What do you guys recommend trail wise? I hear Tiddlywinks trail is a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Will be heading up to Bend on March 25/26. What do you guys recommend trail wise? I hear Tiddlywinks trail is a lot of fun.

I guarantee you it ain't any fun in March!!

Your options are Maston or Horse Ridge. And possibly Gray Butte and Horse Butte

mtbr member

Re: 2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

I guarantee you it ain't any fun in March!!

Your options are Maston or Horse Ridge. And possibly Gray Butte and Horse Butte
    Alright, thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Keep Singletrack Single

Phil's is great to the Chicken, Kent's is running nicely. Above junction 18, you will find some small muddy sections. Last night's moisture probably affected conditions. Actually sandy in some spots due to the trails turning into drains during our heavy rains a few weeks back. Ben's has some trees down right before and after Voodoo. Please ride straight thru mud/ puddles if you encounter them.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    Peterson Ridge has re-opened as of 3/16, as it was deemed dry enough.

Has anyone been out there yet? I'm thinking of going tomorrow. I will report back.

mtbr member

Peterson Ridge has re-opened as of 3/16, as it was deemed dry enough.

Has anyone been out there yet? I'm thinking of going tomorrow. I will report back.
    Please do I'm trying to debate if it's worth taking the bikes up there for our trip.

mtbr member
    Did some trail recon today.

COD was good all the way to 4610 today. 2-3 small short sections of light mud. Almost wouldn't call it mud. Started at Tetherow sign. Was starting to see snow on the ground near 4610 and the trail was starting to get wetter, so i pulled off on 4610

Phil's canyon. Muddy mess. AVOID

KGB from chicked to tetherow had several pretty large sections of mud as well.

So some great, some good, and some ugly for sure.

PBA
    Mar 2014
    Rode Peterson to the upper viewpoint on Saturday. No indication at the TH it was closed. Overall good. West side trails definitely more moist than east side, maybe half a dozen muddy spots on the west. East side mostly dry but not yet packed, so not fast. Should be nice tomorrow.

it means 'no problem'
    Maston yesterday: crowds have shrunk and trails are getting dry. Fun nonetheless
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Peterson Ridge is still too juicy, IMO. The bike was caked with mud. I'd say give it another week or so, or at least wait for this weekend.

Both PRT east and PRT west had several juicy spots, with ruts full of standing water.

PBA
    Mar 2014
    Saturday on PRT was much better. Think Sunday night's snow/rain mucked up a lot of the western trails. Phil's was also much wetter yesterday than weekend reports suggested.

But hey, Horse Ridge and the Horse-to-Horse connector were sweet today!..... and empty!

mtbr member
    PRT WEST UPDATE:
    I had some business at Blazin Saddles this afternoon and my wife joined me for the drive from Bend to Sisters so I thought I'd coupled in a shuttle on PRT West.....my wife is awesome for shuttling me up, however, this was not a good idea today!! I hit super mucky conditions almost immediately and would've backed out but was hopeful that dry trail was just around the next corner; especially considering that PRT was officially opened a week ago. I soon found myself a couple miles in and committed to my line so I continued on. Ultimately, I didn't hit good dirt until about 6 miles into my ride - which if you know this trail it's about 9 miles total from top-down. With the warmer temps and sunny weather in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday, next week should be MUCH better....

Quote Originally Posted by ChiKong View Post
    Saturday on PRT was much better. Think Sunday night's snow/rain mucked up a lot of the western trails. Phil's was also much wetter yesterday than weekend reports suggested.

But hey, Horse Ridge and the Horse-to-Horse connector were sweet today!..... and empty!
    jjMarS

newfydog
    May 2009
    Is there a map, google earth, or GPS track of that horse to horse available? Or idiot proof description of where it is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    Is there a map, google earth, or GPS track of that horse to horse available? Or idiot proof description of where it is?
    Here is a pretty concise one. Rider is not me.

Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

newfydog
    May 2009
    Thanks! The old Strava export I used has been run off by the Strava people charging for premium service to export the .gpx file, but it can be seen on google earth so I could click it out. It ties in nicely to some of the fat bike sand rides I've been poking around. See you on the trails!

PBA
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post

To add on to the Strava route, turn left on Ford Rd for 1/2 mile, then turn right for 1/4 mile after you pass through two stone fenceposts. This will take you to an old corral. Follow the tracks counterclockwise around the corral and you'll end up on another singletrack which climbs for about 3 miles to the top of the middle ridge. It's an awesome downhill on the way back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ben's: Tree down about 100 yrds west of the triangular log jump

Phil's to Chicken is in good condition, guilt free riding

Phil's from the Chicken to Voodoo has some mud, technically shouldn't be ridden but tons of people out there

Voodoo from Phil's to Ben's is a horrible muddy rutty mess, avoid

Ben's from Voodoo to the TH has a lot of mud, probably shouldn't be ridden

mtbr member
    I tried riding Marvin's Garden out to COD around noon today and stopped about 1/2 mile in due to the mucky trail conditions.....
    Decided to give Ben's a try and made it just passed MTB and turned around due to the extremely muddy conditions; once I made it back to MTB I rode that until it connects to Kent's - my idea was to make a decision from there as to either ride up Kent's or turn back to the trailhead. IMO, the trails were ALL WAY TO BAD TO RIDE!! I felt guilty riding the small portion that I did....needless to say that I turned back once I connected to Kent's. My surmise is that the trail needs at least another 3-5 days of NO RIDING and lots of sun....

After riding for a week on Marvin's Garden out to COD and connecting to ELV and back to the Chicken followed by taking Phil's back to the trailhead with near epic conditions, I'm totally surprised that the current conditions are so bad considering that we only had one night of white precip. last Monday night. I'm guessing that the freeze/thaw effect coupled with lots of riders has caused the trails to be in such ruin. What's interesting is that I rode the day following the snow (i.e. Tuesday evening at 6:00pm) and the trails were near hero dirt!! I rode the subsequent day (i.e. Wednesday at 11:00am) the the same line was a mess!!

Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Ben's: Tree down about 100 yrds west of the triangular log jump

Phil's to Chicken is in good condition, guilt free riding

Phil's from the Chicken to Voodoo has some mud, technically shouldn't be ridden but tons of people out there

Voodoo from Phil's to Ben's is a horrible muddy rutty mess, avoid

Ben's from Voodoo to the TH has a lot of mud, probably shouldn't be ridden
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    To add on to the Strava route, turn left on Ford Rd for 1/2 mile, then turn right for 1/4 mile after you pass through two stone fenceposts. This will take you to an old corral. Follow the tracks counterclockwise around the corral and you'll end up on another singletrack which climbs for about 3 miles to the top of the middle ridge. It's an awesome downhill on the way back!
    Yeah, i didn't check this specific route that closely at all. I have ridden out by the coral and that downhill is indeed very cool. Had a lot of fun going down in snow. Great little ride only one very short section of gravel right there at the corral.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    My surmise is that the trail needs at least another 3-5 days of NO RIDING and lots of sun....
    Agreed. All trails got hammered by traffic today. Massive rutting in some areas.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Yep, I see it on Google earth. Thanks,,........ man I gotta get out there, there is a lot of work to do!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast