Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree with dirtfarmer; I tried to ride a loop starting from from the Swampy parking lot up to Vista and down Flagline Tie then back to Swampy parking recently and ran into many downed trees on the way up to Vista and large snow drifts on the way to Flagline Tie.

I'd be interested to know when these trails become snow and tree free.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterbuffalos View Post
    I agree with dirtfarmer; I tried to ride a loop starting from from the Swampy parking lot up to Vista and down Flagline Tie then back to Swampy parking recently and ran into many downed trees on the way up to Vista and large snow drifts on the way to Flagline Tie.

I'd be interested to know when these trails become snow and tree free.
    I'd say another week for the snow (it's to be 80's for the next week); when the deadfall will be cleared is anyones guess.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'd say another week for the snow (it's to be 80's for the next week); when the deadfall will be cleared is anyones guess.
    We are planning to clear that area on Tuesday.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Was hoping to ride Mrazek this evening but it is still posted as closed. Would be helpful if the Mrazek facebook page was updated to show current status.

mtbr member
    Tried to ride up the road (uphill only section) of upper Tyler's today. It is nearly unridable. A group of horses came through this past week and decimated the road about a mile up from the uphill only intersection.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gusgsp View Post
    Tried to ride up the road (uphill only section) of upper Tyler's today. It is nearly unridable. A group of horses came through this past week and decimated the road about a mile up from the uphill only intersection.
    You know, I was riding up that several weeks ago, and saw the beginnings of horse damage, but still rather minor at the time. I thought, "boy, this could be a problem if it keeps up". Damn, that really sucks!

mtbr member
    I guess it was a sanctioned and permitted event. You can see the route flagged. It will suck until we get a bunch of rain - like until next summer. :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hundreds of miles of FS roads and they had to route through there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Hundreds of miles of FS roads and they had to route through there?
    And I bet none of the equestrians lift a finger to fix the damage that was done. Sigh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

CLOSED until further notice: Mrazek, Tumalo Creek, Farewell

I confirmed the closures today. I was also told these trails fall within a closed Federal fire zone and entering that area is an arrestable offense. They will let us know via social media when the trails are reopened.

Unfortunately there are riders that are either misinformed or intentionally ignoring the closures and this is leading to an impression that the mtn biking community doesn't play by the rules. We don't need that rep which invokes the rogue days of decades past. So please help spread the word that riding these trails is off limits until the FS says otherwise.

Does anyone know who admins the Facebook Mrazek page? I'd guess that helping get the word out regarding the closure with big bright red letters saying "Closed until further notice." would be appreciated.

For the latest info follow @DesNatlForest on Twitter.

------

June 13 FS tweets: Reminder these trails are closed in the Skyliner area: Mrazek Trail No. 32, Tumalo Creek No. 49, Farewell Trail No. 26

June 19 Bendtrails tweeks: @DesNatlForest any update on trail closures?

June 19 FS tweets: Closures will remain in place until we can assess the rehab needs and develop a strategy to complete them. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by StreamRider; 06-22-2014 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I confirmed the closures today. I was also told these trails fall within a closed Federal fire zone and entering that area is an arrestable offense. They will lest us know via social media when the trails are reopened.
    First off, thank you for checking into this. I appreciate your effort in getting this clarified.

This next comment is not directed at you ... it's just a thought I had and your post brought the thought to mind.

I was not aware that there was a Mrazek facebook page. Not only am I unsure what the purpose of that page is supposed to be (I've never looked and I frankly don't touch Facebook with a 10 foot barge pole***), but it brings up the logical question - how many more Bend trail pages are out there? And how does one inventory them all?

When I'm in the Bend area, I always read this forum religiously to keep abreast of what's going on - closures, trees down, dangerous conditions, snow, wasps, escaped convicts, etc. Once in a while I will take a glance at cotamtb.com to get a "big picture" of what's open/closed for the season and any unusual COTA announcements.

If you go to the COTA web page and look at the status for Farewell, guess what you see? It's green. Hmmm .... If you look at Mrazek, there is some sort of graphical glitch so you can't even tell what the status is (at least on my web browser). That's a bummer.

The big problems with multiple sources for the same information are always synchronization, timing, and authority. That's why it's best to have one authoritative source and have any other places point/reference/link directly to the source (rather than manually maintain redundant information in a disconnected fashion).

As I said at the start ... this isn't your problem ... sorry for the semi-rant. Maybe I should just start a Facebook page and post this there ....

***It's not so much my personal dislike of Facebook itself, but for me it is always a question of authority. In other words, how do I know who is posting info there and do they actually know what they are talking about. Anybody could be behind the curtain posting to that account and I have no idea how trustworthy the info is. COTA's site, by contrast, is a site that is updated by COTA members who are known entities and are responsible/accountable for the content of the site.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I wonder what percentage of people in Central Oregon who own a mountain bike have never heard of either COTA or MTBR? Enthusiasts will likely have at least heard of COTA but most people are casual riders and I don't picture them checking the internet before they dust off their mountain bike, air up the flat tires, and head to the trails. You might be able to reach that rider via signage posted at the trailheads or via the usual news outlets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I wonder what percentage of people in Central Oregon who own a mountain bike have never heard of either COTA or MTBR? Enthusiasts will likely have at least heard of COTA but most people are casual riders and I don't picture them checking the internet before they dust off their mountain bike, air up the flat tires, and head to the trails. You might be able to reach that rider via signage posted at the trailheads or via the usual news outlets.
    All great points. I often wonder the same thing - how does the average Joe - either local or out-of-towner know what's going on?

The lowest common denominator is always the sign right at the trail. That's always a challenge for a number of reasons. Somebody has to place/remove the sign not just at a convenient location but at EVERY location that somebody could get on/off the trail. For a trail like Mrazek, it's more of a pain getting the signs out there - who's going to hoof it up to the top at Farewell/Mrazek ... especially when a forest fire is blazing away. Then you have vandalism, winds/rain blowing stuff down, things getting temporarily moved and then not moved back, etc. Then there's the surprise factor: Imagine going up North Fork and then heading to the Farewell/Mrazek intersection. Oops. Can't go down either of those since they are both closed and you can't go back down North Fork because it's one-way. Now what? Helicopter rescue?

My point was a bit more along the lines of - if you're going to have a trail status page, then use it. If you aren't going to use it, take it down. It can do as much harm as good if it's not maintained. If somebody/someplace else is now the "authority" then put a link to that place. I don't expect the page will be updated the first day or two or even three ... there's too much confusion and chaos. Heck, people are trying to get ready to evacuate. But after things are fully contained and it's two weeks later and there's no status or even a single mention of a fire on the site ... umm, what? LOL!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Steiny you bring up a very good point about the trail status page! Perhaps COTA will update that after reading this thread.

For the Mrazek closure there are at least 2 signs with big bright red letters. One at the entrance to Shevlin and the next at the trail that splits from the paved road.

mtbr member
    Mrazek is not a COTA trail technically. Phil Meglasson maintains that trail.

The facebook page for Mrazek is run by Phil's daughter (at least). Probably by a couple more people too.

Rich (DRYSIDE) is still riding the Mrazek (per previous comments) and has a Mrazek link in his signature, so I would guess he is an admin on the Facebook Mrazek page?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does Mrazek show it is closed at the top as well? If not, there are going to be folks coming down the trail totally unaware that the trail is closed.

Same question for Farewell. Last I heard there is nothing at the bottom or top that indicates a closure.

The fact is there are going to be folks using Mrazek and Farewell, because there is only a .0001 percent chance of receiving a citation. Thinking that an arrest is going to occur is just absurd. But, I am not advocating riding the closed trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gusgsp View Post
    You guys should try climbing Tylers via FS 4133, starting where the uphill trail would begin (3 way intersection.) This is how I used to ascend Tylers before the uphill route was put in; overall I think it's much easier than the designated route, more of a balance of climbing and gentle descent, and just eyeballing a topo right now I think it might be a little bit shorter too. It's a bit confusing now at the top, just head up the road next to the former Kiwa/DMH road crossing and you should see the trail. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Does Mrazek show it is closed at the top as well? If not, there are going to be folks coming down the trail totally unaware that the trail is closed.

Same question for Farewell. Last I heard there is nothing at the bottom or top that indicates a closure.
    Assuming you aren't riding FS roads, I don't know how you'd get to the top of Mrazek without riding up Farewell which is posted as closed at the Farewell trailhead sign post and at the info board nearby.

About 3.6 miles up NF there is heavy snow and treefall which covers the trail so looping around that way is out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^ Tell that to the folks that have already climbed NF.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    ^^ Tell that to the folks that have already climbed NF.
    Not possible without carrying the bike for a very long distance. And taking some risk on breaking a leg. My buddy post holed a couple of times before giving up.

NF about 3.6 miles from the TH

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread-northfork.jpg

mtbr member
    I climbed nf a couple of weeks ago and came back down cause of snow and then climbed up(clean), fair well to mrazek(no snow) and shredded back down fair well. Go ride that and shut up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjuh View Post
    You guys should try climbing Tylers via FS 4133, starting where the uphill trail would begin (3 way intersection.) This is how I used to ascend Tylers before the uphill route was put in; overall I think it's much easier than the designated route, more of a balance of climbing and gentle descent, and just eyeballing a topo right now I think it might be a little bit shorter too. It's a bit confusing now at the top, just head up the road next to the former Kiwa/DMH road crossing and you should see the trail. Hope this helps!
    yeah, this is an better route in my opinion. Not sure why it wasn't chosen as the uphill route. More direct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Finally got around to riding the entirety of Tyler's yesterday. I will parrot what others have said about what a great job all those COTA trail cobblers did in designing an avenue with mad flowy character--the hard work that went into that thing is evident. With that said, Tyler's takes a little bit of imagination. As I was riding it I kept imagining how awesome this thing would be if it was built 70-100 miles to the west. Over here, in 'Murica's darling bike town, it's a blown out sandbox, and will likely stay that way for 90% of the bike season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Costigan View Post
    Finally got around to riding the entirety of Tyler's yesterday. I will parrot what others have said about what a great job all those COTA trail cobblers did in designing an avenue with mad flowy character--the hard work that went into that thing is evident. With that said, Tyler's takes a little bit of imagination. As I was riding it I kept imagining how awesome this thing would be if it was built 70-100 miles to the west. Over here, in 'Murica's darling bike town, it's a blown out sandbox, and will likely stay that way for 90% of the bike season.
    Yeah hard to get around our dirt characteristics. I have been injured for almost a month (broke the wrist washing out in sand on tylers), so can only imagine how much more blown out it is now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    More detail on Mrazek and Farewell closures.

This closure order is attached to the Farewell TH post:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3804298.pdf

It ends with

VIOLATION OF THESE PROHIBITIONS IS PUNISHABLE AS A CLASS BMISDEMEANOR, BY A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN $5,000 FOR AN INDIVIDUAL OR $10,000 FOR A LEGAL ENTITY OTHER THAN AN INDIVIDUAL, OR IMPRISONMENT FOR NOT MORE THAN SIX (6) MONTHS, OR BOTH. TITLE 16 USC, SECTION 551;TITLE 18 USC, SECTION 3551.
    And on the TH info board they have posted this map showing the closed area

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3804299.pdf

And the text from the following webpage is posted next to the map which reiterates that all roads and trails within that map area are closed.

Deschutes & Ochoco National Forests & Crooked River National Grassland - News & Events

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Over here, in 'Murica's darling bike town, it's a blown out sandbox, and will likely stay that way for 90% of the bike season.
    Having just returned from 5 days or riding in Bend, I think the next time I go there I will bring a beach cruiser. Or rent a fat bike. And we complain here in Hood River when a corner gets a little blown out during a dry spell. I was surprised by the amount of beach sand we rode through. Granted, a lot of our riding was on cross bikes on dirt roads, but even the day after 1/2 inch of snow, it was so dry and sandy . . . . Love your beer though!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trail - Current Conditions Deschutes NF

Just stumbled upon this page from Deschutes NF http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5299503.pdf. There's quite a bit of good info here. Not sure how often they update, but the current doc was updated just 4 days ago.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sooo, the way I read it is that Mrazek above 4601 and Farewell are now open. Correct?

mtbr member
    That's what I got from it.

Good find, I didn't know such a nice, comprehensive trail condition document existed. I also like that it gives a date when it was updated.

Mrazek Trail out of Shevlin Park to Road 4601 is CLOSED DUE TO THE TWO BULLS FIRE CLOSURE IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
    Tumalo Falls Trailhead has reopened for the season...return trip on Mrazek (currently closed east of Road 4601).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Sooo, the way I read it is that Mrazek above 4601 and Farewell are now open. Correct?
    This is indeed correct. There is a yellow ribbon at Mrazek and 4601 junction down from Farewell as of yesterday. Farewell is open.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bsqr View Post
    Just stumbled upon this page from Deschutes NF http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5299503.pdf. There's quite a bit of good info here. Not sure how often they update, but the current doc was updated just 4 days ago.
    Weird they state the Skyliner TH is closed UFN. I have parked there for three of the last four weeks (a tuesday or wednesday), including today. It's always open, and there are other cars there, too. And no signs at all stating a closure.

I think it was closed when the piping was being laid right there, but the piping job is moving along nicely now, and is a good two miles away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did they also remove the closure order and map from the Farewell trailhead?

Excellent find on that update!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The map is still at the top of Farewell as of yesterday, but the DNF document does state in connection with the Mrazek closure: "[a]ll other trails have reopened with the control of this fire." That is clear to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here's some good news.

Deschutes & Ochoco National Forests & Crooked River National Grassland - News & Events

Release Date: Jun 24, 2014

Contact: Kassidy Kern, Public Affairs Specialist, 541-383-5517

For Release: June 24, 2014

Two Bulls Fire Area Closure Lifted

Non-motorized Mrazek Trail Rerouted, Bearwallow Firewood Area Reopened

BEND– As of 12:01 a.m., June 24, 2014 the Deschutes National Forest has lifted the area closure that was put in place in response to the Two Bulls Fire west of Bend.

Approximately 0.5 miles of Mrazek Trail on the Bend-Fort Rock Ranger District will remain closed to allow for trail repair following Two Bulls Fire suppression activities. Trail users will be rerouted onto forest roads around this trail closure and the reroute will be marked on the ground.

Additionally, the Bearwallow firewood area has been re-opened for firewood removal. The public will need a Central Oregon Firewood Synopsis, a Bearwallow Firewood map and a valid firewood removal permit to access and remove material from this area. Bearwallow was part of the area closure, but was not burned in the Two Bulls Fire. Firewood permits can be purchased at any Deschutes or Ochoco National Forest Ranger District offices.

The general area and all roads previously in the closure area are open to the public. The public should continue to use caution in the burned areas of the forest.

Forest Service trails that will remain closed include:

· Mrazek Trail No. 32: from the intersection with Forest Service System Road 4609015 southwest for approximately 0.5 mile

For more information, contact Amy Tinderholt at the Bend-Fort Rock Ranger District at 541-383-4708.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes! Thanks for the info.

Freeride Recumbent
    The Tyler's climb, the road part near the top, was like riding up a sand dune today. I think the horse event they had at Wanoga must have used that road. Anyway it's brutally soft.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    The Tyler's climb, the road part near the top, was like riding up a sand dune today. I think the horse event they had at Wanoga must have used that road. Anyway it's brutally soft.
    It's just a matter of time before a nice singletrack takes its place. Give it a year or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That entire upper section of Tyler's is brutally soft…..but it's supposed to rain a bit today!!!!

mtbr member
    It's just a matter of time before a nice singletrack takes its place. Give it a year or so.
    Exactly, if you compare the lower downhill section of Tylers to the new upper, you can really see the difference that a year makes. This is going to be a great trail. Has anyone done duodenum yet? Would love to hear if that is finished?

Any word on Edison/Lava Lake?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sunoly View Post
    Exactly, if you compare the lower downhill section of Tylers to the new upper, you can really see the difference that a year makes. This is going to be a great trail. Has anyone done duodenum yet? Would love to hear if that is finished?

Any word on Edison/Lava Lake?
    Duodenum is no different than it was last year, still extremely loose in the bermed section and not really finished up top. I'd say its probably not worth the pedal until it sees a little more work, unless you really want to help pack it in...

PBA
    Mar 2014
    Anyone know the conditions of Newberry/Paulina rim trail?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    We are planning to clear that area on Tuesday.
    Any updates on this?

Thanks

Freeride Recumbent
    That entire upper section of Tyler's is brutally soft…..but it's supposed to rain a bit today!!!!
    Rain!

Afric Pepperbird
    Rain!
    Yes! Over here where I live (east side, near SCMC), it has been a steady downpour for a good 30 minutes! And while it's a day off, and I cry like a baby when I can't ride due to inclement weather, I am digging this. Will melt out lots of the remaining snow packets, and firm up moon dust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oh Basturd! Rain indeed!!! I just gotta try not to get too drunk tomorrow morning while I watch the U.S. make sauerkraut. The sun is supposed to pop tomorrow afternoon…….

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I will be trying to work durring the game, so far my productivity level has been low the last couple of weeks. Might have to be productive this weekend and head over to bend to get some fresh tracks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rain supposed to continue into the morning. Should be a good afternoon tomorrow.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Any updates on this?

Thanks
    Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?

I'll report back after we're done.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiKong View Post
    Anyone know the conditions of Newberry/Paulina rim trail?
    Interested in this as well. From the DNF update; snow conditions are around 6800. Wondering if I can get to Swamp Wells trail from the lake/resort without too much snow.

it means 'no problem'
    Oct 2008
    Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?

I'll report back after we're done.
    From Swampy snow park, up to the summit of Vista Butte, across Flagline tie and down (lower) Flagline all trails are clear. It was hero dirt out there today.

Afric Pepperbird
    From Swampy snow park, up to the summit of Vista Butte, across Flagline tie and down (lower) Flagline all trails are clear. It was hero dirt out there today.
    Whoop Whoop!! Great news!

Thanks to all

COTA member
    Perfect dirt on Flagline tie, Vista Butte, Flagline, Swede, S16 last few days. Should be good this weekend. I suspect much of the snow at the top of NF is gone now. Will give it a second go this Sunday afternoon.

COTA member
    Anyone been past Happy Valley on NF370? Wonder how far I can get. Will find out tomorrow.

COTA member
    North Fork has half dozen easy to get over snow drifts at top. NF370 is rideable a mile or so past Happy Valley intersection up to creek crossing. Mrazek Trail between Farewell and NF370/4601 termination still has tree fall.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How much tree fall Between Happy Valley and NF370/4601?, 2-3 hop overs or 20+ blowdowns, guestimated diameter of largest seen and how recently have you been up there? I see on Cota's worklogs that there was some work done on Farewell Bend in May but no mention of the Mrazek section into Happy Valley.

Just thinkin of some trail work

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lots of tree fall between Happy Valley and NF 370. 15+ trees. Over half could be taken care of with a robust folding saw, but there were a few good sized ones. I rode it today (Sunday) around 3 PM. North Fork had one tree down and a few snow patches right after the last falls viewpoint but is otherwise clear.

Thanks for the trailwork!!

COTA member
    >> but no mention of the Mrazek section into Happy Valley. <<

FWIW Mrazek ends/starts at the NF370/NF4601 intersection. It does not intersect with North Fork. That would be Metolius-Windago.

>> Lots of tree fall between Happy Valley and NF 370 <<

To avoid that tree fall, from after crossing over Tumalo creek in Happy Valley take NF382 up to NF370 and rejoin Mrazek at the 800 road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good to know, Dry Side. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Knew that, brain fart, my bad!

mtbr member
    How's the Edison Lava Trail? Accessible from the Lava Lake side? How about the Metolius-Windigo Trail?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I am a little confused. Is all the downfall on the connector from Happy Valley to Mrazek or on Mrazek between the top and Farewell?
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    How's the Edison Lava Trail? Accessible from the Lava Lake side? How about the Metolius-Windigo Trail?
    I'm curious about both of these as well. I'm shooting for a 100 mile day on Saturday in preparation for HC100 so I'd like pre-ride sections of the course and/or do some exploring. I tried to ride Edison from the east three weeks ago and dealt with a lot of blowdown so I turned around.

COTA member
    So I am a little confused. Is all the downfall on the connector from Happy Valley to Mrazek or on Mrazek between the top and Farewell?
    All of the above as of last Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK, thanks.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

Afric Pepperbird
    Since this is called the 2014 Blow Down thread, I'll add a few. As of today:

One new tree down on lower Flagline, about a mile from Swampy shelter. Dang, that was just cut, too! It must be the wet day we had wednesday, followed by the windy day last friday. It could be cut out with a handsaw in about 30 minutes (I did not have my saw today).

One tree down about midway through SST. A little trail is forming to bypass it. Chainsaw required

One fairly good sized ponderosa down on Tumalo Ridge. Chainsaw required.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCogset View Post
    Mrazek from the top all the way down is clear. Rode it today. There are a couple of trees down between 370 and Farewell, but it appears they were left intentionally because the trail had been rerouted around already. Didn't ride the connector between HV and M.

Afric Pepperbird
    I guess this fits in the Trail conditions thread....

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stop for a Cliff Bar break, or an emptying of the bladder, or anything else, on South Fork! Especially near the log bridge. The mosquitoes there make Dracula look like small potatoes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No Joke!, they were bad 2 weeks ago. I ate it so hard on that root section just past the bridge and in the time it took me to dust off and sort out my broken lever I was getting eaten alive...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Have not heard this one as of late here but there is a head hunter on Voodoo above the new short cut re-route just at the top of the canyon. Ridable on the low side but some packs were snagging on it while going under and you can come in a little hot from the up hill side...

Muy Borracho
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Have not heard this one as of late here but there is a head hunter on Voodoo above the new short cut re-route just at the top of the canyon. Ridable on the low side but some packs were snagging on it while going under and you can come in a little hot from the up hill side...
    I snagged that log with the top of my camelback last week... almost ripped me off my bike. It looks like you can sneak under it... not the case for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The dirt this evening was special. I hope some of you got out…..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cleared 2 trees today on upper North Fork as it enters Happy Valley and 6-7 trees in first half mile as Met-Win leaves Happy Valley heading towards road 4610 then ran out of time. There are still 20 trees down and crossing the trail in the last 1/2 mile of Met-Win as it approaches road 4601 13 of which are 6-10inches in diameter and 7 of which are 14-16 inches with one slightly larger than that, maybe 18 inches. There were 3 trees down on Mrazek between road 4601 and the Farewell junction. As I was descending Farewell it started to rain, and hail HARD with powerful gusts so there may be more down now.

The dirt was great!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the update and all the hard sawing work!

mtbr member
    BROWN POW in July I'll take it! So good last night, except for the skeeters
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Blew a rear tube last night a mile from the lower SK trail head. Decided to run/walk on account of the sqeeters. 'Em were thick!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rode from Wanoga over to Edison snopark and started up towards Lava, but there were 4 or 5 tress down in the first mile or less, so we bagged it and went back to Tylers. So, I don't think Lava-Edison is cleared yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Trails are clear from Happy Valley over to Farewell.

please, just ride
    No Chainsaw required.
    Thanks guys!
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    No Chainsaw required.
    Thanks guys!

Yes, indeed!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for finishing that section off olderandslower, feel free to PM me if you need/want a partner in crime as I'm sometimes available for such work and while it can be done solo it's just better/safer/faster with 2 on some of those bigger ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone heard about Mrazek opening? or work parties to help rebuild the Fire/Bulldozed area?

COTA member
    Some video of the lower section of Mrazek impacted by fire..

Mrazek Trail Ride - YouTube

mtbr member
    I saw that video this morning when it was posted on FB. Are there any parts of the trail that need work? If anything is planned, please post here and/or FB. I'll happily operate a shovel for a few hours if it coincides with one of my trips to Bend.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Any info on Metolius Windigo from Happy Valley to Dutchman? Thanks in advance.
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

COTA member
    I plan to ride NF370 from Happy Valley to Todd Lake tomorrow. I am hoping with all this heat that most of the snow has melted. Will come back via Swampy Dutchman > Swede Ridge > Tumalo Ridge. I like the views NF370 offers compared to M-W, but I will say the descent into Happy Valley on M-W is sure fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I plan to ride NF370 from Happy Valley to Todd Lake tomorrow.
    According to this update 370 is closed.

Seasonal snow closure of 370 Road is in effect until possibly early August.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5299503.pdf

Afric Pepperbird
    I'm itching to go camping next week up in the mountains.

One would assume Waldo is snow-free, if not deadfall-free. Has anyone been up there yet? I can live with the skeeters (hopefully!)

I really want to just get away and camp, with biking being secondary. Any other mountain ideas? Charlton-Lemish will surely not be cleared. And M/W from Lava lake to Todd lake has always bored me, even though I've not ridden there in years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    According to the document you cited StreamRider 370 "is blocked by snow and closed to hwy vehicles until approx. late July."

Have at it Dry Side since a MTB isn't a hwy vehicle.

COTA member
    It is true the forest service does keep the gates at Todd Lake and the NF370/4601 intersection closed until the road (including the cut off to the Broken Top trail head) is passable by motorized vehicles, but there is no such restriction for bikes or hikers. It makes for enjoyable riding not having to deal with motorized vehicles. I do know NF370 over to Three Creeks lake is clear.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I do know NF370 over to Three Creeks lake is clear.
    Oh cool, the road is all clear already? I plan on Jeeping up and over soon.

Sounds like this is an ideal time to ride it if the gates are still closed. "They" had the entrance to the Todd Lake turnoff blocked off until just a couple of weekends ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Friggin squito's above 300 are HUNGRY!

Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

Windigo from Happy Valley to Dutchman has 6.5 miles of hike a bike. Horrible. At least 2-3 weeks more time needed.
    Support Bend Trails

COTA member
    NF370 from Happy Valley to Todd Lake had some snow fields near the top, but within a week I think they will be minimal. None of them were difficult getting over and the majority of NF370 is rideable.

Note: The gates at Todd Lake and NF4601 junction remain closed.

Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions & Blow Down Thread

NF370 from Happy Valley to Todd Lake had some snow fields near the top, but within a week I think they will be minimal. None of them were difficult getting over and the majority of NF370 is rideable.

Note: The gates at Todd Lake and NF4601 junction remain closed.
    Great report. Thanks man. 370 is certainly in better shape than MW. Cheers
    Support Bend Trails

Afric Pepperbird
    How are the Ochocos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Windigo from Happy Valley to Dutchman has 6.5 miles of hike a bike. Horrible. At least 2-3 weeks more time needed.
    That'll be fun in the HC100 next weekend.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    That'll be fun in the HC100 next weekend.
    Exactly what I told Mike Ripley yesterday. It is a total death march. Actually, a total pain. It takes at least 60-90 minutes more to hike a bike that section of trail than to ride it. Had to unclip and reclip at least 30 times. Will not improve much this week. These are basically compressed snow or ice sections. Almost glacial. They will need till the first or second week of August to truly melt.
    Support Bend Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Best map with all the FS roads marked?

mtbr member
    Charlton-Lemish is "ok enough" right now. First time there. About a dozen blowdowns.
    Rode (I think) M-W to the Charlton turn off and spent some time at lake with pup.
    Then headed back toward Lemish - skipped Lily though. Nice trail, and skeeters weren't too bad as long as I didn't stop. ;P
    Time wounds all heels...

Keep Singletrack Single

2014 - Bend Area Trail Conditions &amp; Blow Down Thread

Best map with all the FS roads marked?
    Adventure Maps
    Support Bend Trails

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast